current build images Your actual Ship Modeling Project - briefly introduced at a glance -> present it here

Just a short update on my Le Rochefort build. Nearly finished. Ran out of rope and waiting for a resupply by Crafty Sailor. Also now building a slipway. Would like to have figures on board too, but the scale has to be right! The figure in the photo is presently been modified.
The ratlines are to be painted black View attachment 347226View attachment 347227View attachment 347228View attachment 347229
Happy to see your actual project on the Le Rochefort
Do you know already our group build of this ship, which we organize since a short time.
Maybe you can help and assist in some points our group builders with your experience on this ship
I think @Tobias and all others will be happy to welcome you in the group

Last edited:
Hello fellow model makers!

This is my first post here in SoS. I am currently working on my first scratch build project - Golden Hind. I am using Aeropiccola plans as basis but making quite a few alterations and deviations - consulting other plans as well as other build logs etc. The below are couple of pictures that would give some idea on my journey during the past year.

View attachment 347795

View attachment 347796

View attachment 347797

View attachment 347798

View attachment 347799

View attachment 347800
a warm welcome here on board of our forum - very good work btw Thumbsup

Happy to see your actual project on the Le Rochefort
Do you know already our group build of this ship, which we organize since a short time.
Maybe you can help and assist in some points our group builders with your experience on this ship
I zthink @Tobias and all others will be happy to welcome you in the group
Yes. Indeed have been following the Group Build. I started 2 years ago, and have nearly finished. Hope to have some figures included. I’ll be posting a completed build log probably/hopefully by next month.

Yes. Indeed have been following the Group Build. I started 2 years ago, and have nearly finished. Hope to have some figures included. I’ll be posting a completed build log probably/hopefully by next month.
you could start a log whenever possible - it will be helpful and interesting for all others

Here is a ship that was built and owned by Jim Clark who helped develop the internet. Years ago, maybe in the let 90's or so, I found a picture of this yacht and decided that I would build it from the picture. The length and width and draft were supplied by an article that went with the picture but that was all that was available at the time. There is a build somewhere but it was a long time ago and all that info has slipped what's left of my boggled mind.
Actually the model was never finished because I got to the point where I need turnbuckles for the mast shrouds and just didn't find anything like what was on the yacht. As soon as the Cutty Sark is done this will be my project for awhile. When I start it I'll post it here. Meantime it's very dirty from being hauled around from pillar to post and it spent many years in a storage unit too. I've started the cleaning bit and will proceed to find the turnbuckles that I need to continue the build. Videos of the ship are on YouTube if you'd like to see the real thing in action. Its a beautiful yacht built to resemble a Clipper Ship and is named "Athena".

100_0065.JPG

Hey there everyone. Kinda a newbie here, at least to SOS. I’ve been working on the Bluenose (1/64; Model Shipways) since October of 2000 - yes almost 24 years. I started it after a divorce but then within a month or so put it away until last month. It survived multiple moves (including Denver to Phily and back to Denver then a few moves within the Denver area) with minimal damage. After repairing the damage (basically everything after bulkhead N was broken off with one half of O completely missing and a keel that was a bit warped) I began work in earnest on it. I’m not yet ready try a detailed build log but I’m watching many of the existing Bluenose logs as I move forward.

My internal challenge is that the instruction manual and plans as well as everything I’ve seen online don’t follow a linear path - and everyone does things slightly different. I’m learning to be more flexible but like my Bluenose, I’m a work in progress.

C98267DF-59C7-4997-AC13-A1A093AE4BF6.jpeg

EA06DD99-F52E-4E2E-BF3D-84D9E228F23D.jpeg

Hey there everyone. Kinda a newbie here, at least to SOS. I’ve been working on the Bluenose (1/64; Model Shipways) since October of 2000 - yes almost 24 years. I started it after a divorce but then within a month or so put it away until last month. It survived multiple moves (including Denver to Phily and back to Denver then a few moves within the Denver area) with minimal damage. After repairing the damage (basically everything after bulkhead N was broken off with one half of O completely missing and a keel that was a bit warped) I began work in earnest on it. I’m not yet ready try a detailed build log but I’m watching many of the existing Bluenose logs as I move forward.

My internal challenge is that the instruction manual and plans as well as everything I’ve seen online don’t follow a linear path - and everyone does things slightly different. I’m learning to be more flexible but like my Bluenose, I’m a work in progress.

View attachment 368238

View attachment 368239
Welcome aboard, Hugh!

View attachment 368238

View attachment 368239
Welcome aboard. Your Bluenose is looking good especially the rabbit /bearding line. Consider starting a build log on it. You'll get lots of advice and help as well as some feedback that will keep you moving forward.

Quick question and I hope it’s ok to ask here… I’m at one of those points where people differ and am not sure if I should paint the waterway or begin planking the hull. I’m leaning towards painting and assume the waterway should be white. Any and all ideas are welcome

Quick question and I hope it’s ok to ask here… I’m at one of those points where people differ and am not sure if I should paint the waterway or begin planking the hull. I’m leaning towards painting and assume the waterway should be white. Any and all ideas are welcome
Either would work. I waited until the planking and stanchions were completed. Then I painted the inner surface of the bulwarks and stanchions followed by the waterways. Definitely paint the waterways before finishing the last 2 or 3 deck planks at both ends of the ship.

Thanks. By “last 2 or 3” do you mean the those closest to the waterways? I thought you started at the waterways and planked downward.

Outside planks. I always plank from the center line and work out from there. It looks much better having narrow boards at the edges that having to fit narrow boards at the center line of the ship where they are the most obvious.

I suggest clicking on my Bluenose build log in my signature line and containing discussion from there.

Thanks. I’m already “watching “ it (along with a number of other Bluenose logs) but I’ll review it now.

View attachment 368238

View attachment 368239
Also from my side a warm welcome, Hugh. Nice to see another BN build.
Like Jeff wrote, when you start a build-log then you can ask any specific question in combination with some pictures. For sure you get a response from other members.
Perhaps this will help you: here you find a list of BN build. It’s in the YuanQing area, but near the bottom of the list I have also listed the build of other manufacturer, including 10 MS-build:
In the column ‘E‘ you will find the direct hyperlinks to there build-log.
Some of the YQ builders used also the MS plans for the masts and rigging, like Dean (#018), Johan (#044) and myself (#010).
When you start your own, I’ll ad it to the list.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
My name is Shay Cohen and I am from Israel.
I haven't been doing any ship modeling for 20 years now (I am 45) but finally getting back around to it. I started this La Belle model kit by CAF a few weeks ago and having lots of fun!
I am amazed of how evolved these kits have become... My dream project is La Renommee but I saw so many cool kits here already, that I can't make up my mind :)
Cheers!
Shay
Hallo @Shayco
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello fellow colleagues,
I'm Max, a relatively new member here. I've been mainly reading the posts so far, but today I wanted to share my current project with you all:
the Santa Maria model based on the Amati kit, Scale of 1/65.

I'm considering starting a detailed building log, where I can share my progress, seek your advice, and hear your comments.

I'm thrilled to share some snapshots of my Santa Maria building journey with you all. To kick things off, I started with the traditional Amati's kit, intending to make a few modifications along the way, such as replacing the keel, the stern lantern, gun carriages, and crows-nest, and some other minor things. My initial plan was to follow the kit instructions and assembly order.

However, fate had other plans for my project. As luck would have it, I stumbled upon Xsavier Pastor's book, and it opened my eyes to a whole new world. I discovered that the model proposed by the kit instructions would differ significantly from the available reconstructions, not just in minor details. At that point, I had already completed the hull, and a daring idea sparked within me.

I decided to embark on a journey of combining the Amati's hull with the insights gained from the reconstructions. It meant that, apart from the hull's base and planking, the entire model would be built from scratch. The prospect was both exhilarating and challenging, pushing my skills and craftsmanship to new heights.
I'm excited to share these snapshots with you, capturing moments of the building process.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions, or any insights you may have. Your support and expertise are invaluable as I navigate this challenging yet rewarding endeavor.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg