current build images Your actual Ship Modeling Project - briefly introduced at a glance -> present it here

Hello, Uwe! Thank you very much! It's too early to show the current project
Ha Ha - it is never too early - sometimes also the researching of information about a ship could be interesting
so whenever you would like and can - please show us

Current project: 1: 54 Occre Endeavour. This is only my second build. First planking is finished and I'm almost done with sanding. Endeavour initially started out as a collier, which accounts for the bulky shape of the hull that reminds me of a whale. Next step is second planking. I am held back however because instructions do not mention which dye is used. I prefer to dye the planks before glueing. Suggestions are welcome!

Endeavour_ a01.jpg

Endeavour_ a02.jpg

Endeavour_ a03.jpg

Endeavour_ a05.jpg

I always stain after completing sanding of the second layer of planking. I always use Rustins oil based stain (available on Amazon) and have for many years on all types of projects - never a problem.

I always stain after completing sanding of the second layer of planking. I always use Rustins oil based stain (available on Amazon) and have for many years on all types of projects - never a problem.
Thank you for your advice. I will reconsider my strategy. The thing is that the hull of this ship will be multicoloured (see picture) when finished, that is why at first thought it might be wise to dye the seperate planks beforehand. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions what this 'orangy' colour is? Occre does not specify this.

Endeavour_dye_hull.jpg

Google search 'Rustins wood dye colour chart'. Pine stain would seem to be the closest but, of course, it depends on the type of wood you are staining and I am assuming it is a light coloured wood. Since that light strip is between the wales you will get away with staining it after planking.

Google search 'Rustins wood dye colour chart'. Pine stain would seem to be the closest but, of course, it depends on the type of wood you are staining and I am assuming it is a light coloured wood. Since that light strip is between the wales you will get away with staining it after planking.
You are right, I will just start planking and continue my search for the proper colour. It is a light coloured wood indeed (sycamore), you can see the bundle in the last picture. The darker planks below the waterline are sapelli. I have also send a mail to Occre.

Thank you for your advice. I will reconsider my strategy. The thing is that the hull of this ship will be multicoloured (see picture) when finished, that is why at first thought it might be wise to dye the seperate planks beforehand. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions what this 'orangy' colour is? Occre does not specify this.

View attachment 389815
My personal opinion: The orange colour is not looking very realistic - because as I know the hull would not have been painted in this way - this part of the hull would be "natural" wood
Maybe you take a look at the completed build by our member @Rob. T. who finished the model a short time ago

Maybe also interesting for you are the existing of contemporary drawings of this ship, just for information:

If you are deeply interested in the the history and the details of construction, this book with plans could be also of some interest

Thank you very much, Uwek. That is a lot of useful information. I suspect that the pictures that are published bij Occre, both on their website as in the printed instructions are just oversaturated. I do agree with you that is does not look realistic. Besides, they do not give any information on how this colour is achieved. I will study the different Endeavours on this forum and start experimenting.

I am going to hunt for the set of books by Ray Parkin you mentioned. Below is a picture of the books I already have on Endeavour. In the bottom right corner one can see that the Fremantle replica has a similar orangy colour, but much less saturated.

Endeavour_a07_1.jpg

Hello Graham and Uwek. Occre has confirmed it's Pine stain (Tinte Pino). They also added: 'Apply several layers until the desired tone is obtained'. So I now suspect this overly saturated orange colour can simply be avoided by holding back on the number of layers. I will order it and try.

Here are two pictures from my current project HM Cutter Alert, 1777 in scale 1/36. The model will be build following my own research and drawings. Especially by the frame design you will see a lot of differences to the from Goodwin published version

Alert_jig1.jpg Alert_jig2.jpg

I run into a small problem with the jig. It is to precise - it helps me perfect to align the frames but if I will glue the frames to the keel I could not remove the finished assembly from the jig.
In the moment I am busy to redesign my keel and deadwood structure to correct some smaller issues at the stern.

Building Miniature Art's Bomb Vessel Granado Cross Section 1:72

de846a27ea1917a5f2cda1787bff.jpg

ecd8198a47e36b22211e86b1edc5.jpg

Cheers

Dirk

Here are two pictures from my current project HM Cutter Alert, 1777 in scale 1/36. The model will be build following my own research and drawings. Especially by the frame design you will see a lot of differences to the from Goodwin published version

View attachment 395013 View attachment 395014

I run into a small problem with the jig. It is to precise - it helps me perfect to align the frames but if I will glue the frames to the keel I could not remove the finished assembly from the jig.
In the moment I am busy to redesign my keel and deadwood structure to correct some smaller issues at the stern.
Hallo Christian,
it would be great to see and follow your research and the build in a building log .....

Hello @Uwek

I have started to many build logs in the past and not finished the model. That is the reason why I did not start a log for my current project. I am afraid that this will happen again. I don't know when it is for me the best time to start a log, but in the moment I feel that it is much to early for a new one.

View attachment 395013 View attachment 395014

This is brilliant construction Christian! I love the precision and know how difficult that is to achieve! Even if you don't want to create a build report we would all be blessed to see more progress reports on occasion!

Back