YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

I'm doing a little catchup here Johan. The port side dory looks way better with the contrasting yellow and green. I too intend to fully rig my BN with full sails, I just don't know yet how I will make them look full of wind.

Last edited:
I'm doing a little catchup here Johan. The port side dory looks way better with the contrasting yellow and green. I too intend to fully rig my BN with full sails, I just don't know yet how I will make them look full of wind.
Yeah, it took a couple of tries before I was satisfied with the colors. I found a picture somewhere on the internet, plus the rational behind the colors. Green offers better visibility in foggy weather, whereas the yellow color provides visibility against the grey Atlantic Ocean.
The sails are still cause for though, especially making them fit, but I don’t think I’ll go for the “blown” variant.

Good morning Johan. Have you taken a shipbuilder’s sabbatical? Hope everything is all good with you guys? Cheers Grant
Howdy Grant,
No, not a sabbatical, but the Admiral and I were on a vacation to one of the Canarian islands.
All is well, except for a persist respiratory virus, which is bugging me a little, but rest assured, work on the BN started again.
The break gave me time to think about a lot of how-to's: how to make mast hoops, how to make all sorts of hardware to be added to the spars. A lot of that hardware is not part of the YQ-kit.
I almost completely left the YQ build instructions for what they are, since I decided to use to the Model Shipways drawings for the standing- and running rigging and the sails.
Quite frankly, I'm also rather anxious for the next steps; there are a lot of parts to be made and I still don't have a clou on how that'll work out. I guess a lot of re-do's and a rapidly filling swear yars are in my near future... ROTF
Stay safe,
Johan

Howdy Grant,
No, not a sabbatical, but the Admiral and I were on a vacation to one of the Canarian islands.
All is well, except for a persist respiratory virus, which is bugging me a little, but rest assured, work on the BN started again.
The break gave me time to think about a lot of how-to's: how to make mast hoops, how to make all sorts of hardware to be added to the spars. A lot of that hardware is not part of the YQ-kit.
I almost completely left the YQ build instructions for what they are, since I decided to use to the Model Shipways drawings for the standing- and running rigging and the sails.
Quite frankly, I'm also rather anxious for the next steps; there are a lot of parts to be made and I still don't have a clou on how that'll work out. I guess a lot of re-do's and a rapidly filling swear yars are in my near future... ROTF
Stay safe,
Johan
Good evening Johan. Holidays are always good. I know that feeling of ….how do I make this…. Happens every morning when I walk into the shipyard ROTF . Seeing what you still have to do I guess some swear jars will be required;)…all the fiddly bits and rigging . Looking forward to your next BN instalment. Cheers Grant

The past few days I have occupied myself with the rigging of the bowsprit. It was a little, not-so-little job I've been dragging my feet about, because quite frankly, there's a lot of rope in a very tight space, getting worse by every added rope.
As starting point I used the drawings of Model Shipways, rope diameters included.
I have to be honest though, I had to simplify certain details, because I am most definitely not a dental technician or a watchmaker.
One of the most nasty jobs was adding the footropes and the stirrups. They're in, but they won't win a beauty contest.
Now I started work on the main- and fore-mast details and the masthoops, so it will be a while before I'll be able to show some progress.

From the port side:

2E547A09-ACCB-4BCB-91E4-CD3E065D08EF.jpeg

From the starboard side:
5C42C13F-41E7-4021-901E-86503957E868.jpeg

Overview from the starboard side:
2B8B682B-C346-4B1E-AD08-6E0CAB9579A3.jpeg

The past few days I have occupied myself with the rigging of the bowsprit. It was a little, not-so-little job I've been dragging my feet about, because quite frankly, there's a lot of rope in a very tight space, getting worse by every added rope.
As starting point I used the drawings of Model Shipways, rope diameters included.
I have to be honest though, I had to simplify certain details, because I am most definitely not a dental technician or a watchmaker.
One of the most nasty jobs was adding the footropes and the stirrups. They're in, but they won't win a beauty contest.
Now I started work on the main- and fore-mast details and the masthoops, so it will be a while before I'll be able to show some progress.

From the port side:

View attachment 365832

From the starboard side:
View attachment 365835

View attachment 365834
You passed the first rigging chapter in a great way, Johan.:) A lot of fiddling in a tiny area and it looks orderly!
Regards, Peter

It looks very promising to me Johan.
Thanks, Paul. At least I now know why I was dragging my feet: my instincts about this to be a little challenge proven right.

The first time I visit this build log. Nice work on you Blue Nose, Looks fantastic. And I can see you don't have a Japanese saw in your workshop. Good :)
Thanks for stopping by and feel free to come again.
I do enjoy the build of this little gem, despite her character.
There won't be a Japanese saw in my workshop for the foreseeable future; these tools create havoc on one's nerves. I'd rather stay sane.

You passed the first rigging chapter in a great way, Johan.:) A lot of fiddling in a tiny area and it looks orderly!
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. A tiny area, that's exactly right. The worst is that at the tip there are 8 lines coming together and requiring proper attachment to the bowsprit. No room to move...

Great job Johan! Not easy to get all of the ropes tight without working turnbuckles! :)
Hey Dean, thanks so much. I still need a little tightening for the bobstays from tensioning the fore topmast stay. Other than that it's pretty much okay. I actually searched for working turnbuckles, but making my own was a lot more fun (and somewhat cheaper).

From the port side:

View attachment 365832

From the starboard side:
View attachment 365835

View attachment 365834
Good morning Johan. Awesome to see your BN active again after your break. Ha…now is the “fun” part. Time to get yourself into knots…and your swear jar outROTF. Your BN is a beaut (no doubt ) and I found as I rigged my Victory it adds so much to how the ship looked. The turnbuckles look good and so far so good Johan. Enjoy. Cheers Grant

After rigging the bowsprit, work on the spars began in earnest, with the odd little job to complete all the various deck components. I use those little jobs as stop-gap activity.
The lower fore- and main mast spars have been provided with the hardware to support the fore- and main booms.
I fabricated a simplified fore boom hinge, in between the very simple YQ solution and the rather complex configuration per the MS drawings. The interface per the MS drawings was maintained though, since I plan to use the MS rigging schemes.

Below two pictures of the foremast with the fore boom temporary installed.
Several parts had to be fabricated, amongst others the fife rail (more nails required than per the YQ instructions) and the mast foot rosette.
A3579B03-8578-4502-BE54-82EAD4CDE285.jpeg8DB84A94-BEC2-470D-977B-921DD97810FF.jpeg

Below two pictures of the main mast, with the main boom support in place. In order to check the boom/mast interface, I attached the necessary parts to the boom. The boom is also a temporary install; still requires a lot of details to be added.
DD035D3F-A806-47C1-98F2-DA2119CAE6B1.jpegB45A58F0-253A-43B9-B818-8501F136D2CF.jpeg

Before continuing my journey upwards I into the masts, towards the tressles, I first needed to fabricate the mast hoops. It will not be possible to install those at a later moment.
The mast hoops are not part of the kit, so I needed to make my own.
I've seen xamples of people, making them from wood, almost in the same manner as the original hoops were produced.
Being lazy :cool: I copied for the most part @Peter Voogt 's process.
I bought some sturdy sheet of white paper, with a thickness of 0,4mm, 0,0016" and cut strips with a width of 2mm, 0,08" and a length of 74mm, 2,9". The length was determined by wanting to have two complete revolutions around the mast, plus an overlap, with an inner diameter of the hoop of 10mm, 0,39". The overlap is about 5mm, 0,2".

Marking and cutting the strips:
B3C3FB7D-A51A-409F-BE91-F03B89448D14.jpeg

Form the strips around a drill bit of dia 10mm, 0,4". I secured the ends with a drop of super glue gell:
B16AA1E6-CFBC-4482-BF83-7EAA28BCDDEB.jpeg

Soak the hoops in a solution of 50% water and 50% D2 wood adhesive.
9678A0D0-FB70-40C9-B2B0-E66348A31649.jpeg

And then we let them dry. To seal the hoops I will apply a single coat of white paint, but that's not for now.
I still need to make the hoops for both topmast sails...
656C92B3-043C-46AB-9BD9-A525DE419F9A.jpeg

Last edited:
After rigging the bowsprit, work on the spars began in earnest, with the odd little job to complete all the various deck components. I use those little jobs as stop-gap activity.
The lower fore- and main mast spars have been provided with the hardware to support the fore- and main booms.
I fabricated a simplified fore boom hinge, in between the very simple YQ solution and the rather complex configuration per the MS drawings. The interface per the MS drawings was maintained though, since I plan to use the MS rigging schemes.

Several parts had to be fabricated, amongst others the fife rail (more nails required than per the YQ instructions) and the mast foot rosette.
View attachment 366542View attachment 366544

Below two pictures of the main mast, with the main boom support in place. In order to check the boom/mast interface, I attached the necessary parts to the boom. The boom is also a temporary install; still requires a lot of details to be added.
View attachment 366543View attachment 366546

Before continuing my journey upwards I into the masts, towards the tressles, I first needed to fabricate the mast hoops. It will not be possible to install those at a later moment.
I've seen xamples of people, making them from wood, almost in the same manner as the original hoops were produced.
I bought some sturdy sheet of white paper, with a thickness of 0,4mm, 0,0016" and cut strips with a width of 2mm, 0,08" and a length of 74mm, 2,9". The length was determined by wanting to have two complete revolutions around the mast, plus an overlap, with an inner diameter of the hoop of 10mm, 0,39". The overlap is about 5mm, 0,2".

View attachment 366577

Form the strips around a drill bit of dia 10mm, 0,4". I secured the ends with a drop of super glue gell:
View attachment 366578

View attachment 366580

And then we let them dry. To seal the hoops I will apply a single coat of white paint, but that's not for now.
View attachment 366628
Well, well, that’s a lot of new stuff on your BN, Johan. A solid base with the masts and booms on length. And those mast hoops, what a wonderful job to keep you busy in between. And to make several diameters.
Regards, Peter

Nice idea for hoops Johan. And good to remember to do them now before adding the remaining detail to the masts. I recall how important this was on my BN2, a stitch in time... :)

View attachment 366542View attachment 366544

View attachment 366543View attachment 366546

View attachment 366577

View attachment 366578

View attachment 366580

View attachment 366628
Good morning Johan. All the little details !!! The boom hinge on the foremast is so good! The main boom looks spot on. You are owning this. Mast hoops and mast bands made from paper or cardboard is the best. It works so well and comes out realistic at our scales. I can’t believe I used copper for my Victory mast bands, it is one of my disappointments- ahh we live and learn right.
Cheers Grant

Back