YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just this weekend I submitted my order for the QN Bluenose kit. It will be the Admiral's Christmas present for me, so my build log will not appear before the beginning of January, but rest assured
Aha .... Johan ........ a deja-vu ........ :D
My BN arrived last year at dec 21th. Also as a Christmas present.
My intention was first to finish The Lee and to build something on the Duc in the meantime. And let the BN in the box. Sleep
But ........ on dec 25th I could not longer resist ........ The rest of the start is history. :)
Not much later it turned out that 3 builds cost too much energy. So then the BN was put aside for a while.
I hope you are more steadfast. ;)
Regards, Peter

Building the bunks in a few steps:
View attachment 257062
With everything in the 1st layer. I chose Talens Ecoline because it gives a nice matte finish.

The bunks equipped with a mattress and the lower ones with curtains:
View attachment 257063
The top one unfortunately doesn't, because they go in half halfway.
The rod is 0,5 mm brass, the curtains 1/3 layer of a tissue.

The whole glued into the hull and aligned under some deck beams:
View attachment 257064

With the moment of truth: the parts come apart and slide past each other:
View attachment 257065
I had to pry off 1 partition with a scalpel blade. Just a little too much glue.

This is what the view looks like from above:
View attachment 257066
The stove is not yet firmly in place. I'll have to check that once the deck beams are on and the stairs are in place.

From the side:
View attachment 257067
A bit of a relief that everything is 'running past each other' again.
Regards, Peter
Excellent surgery here. Fortunate to time it so that the crew were changing watches and none in their bunks!!!:eek:
:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:First Place Metal Rich

It took some time to post something of the build. I was touring some days on my bike with friends:
Motor.jpg
A beautiful blue K1 from 1990 with yellow accents is not ugly!

The next part in the ForeCastle was the stairs. I have decided to make a closed staircase. This prevents the dirt from the shoes from flying all over the galley:
348 Stairs.jpg
The steps are locked between the side walls.

Ready for the 1st layer of oil:
349 Stairs.jpg

Glued on and in the floor and held in position with the still dry-fitted deck beams:
350 Stairs.jpg

And the stairs remain in position when the top part is off:
351 Stairs.jpg

PS:
The inside wall was already fitted with 'nails'.
The floor and wall of the hull are now also fitted with them.

Now first put the foremast in position to make the table around it.
Regards, Peter

It took some time to post something of the build. I was touring some days on my bike with friends:
View attachment 258705

The next part in the ForeCastle was the stairs. I have decided to make a closed staircase. This prevents the dirt from the shoes from flying all over the galley:
View attachment 258706

View attachment 258708

Glued on and in the floor and held in position with the still dry-fitted deck beams:
View attachment 258709

View attachment 258710

PS:

Regards, Peter
No fair...you were out riding your motorcycle! I am jealous! :p
Good to see you back in the shipyard, I like the stairs!

Are you going to use a pin/hole combination (in the Z-axis) to lign up the upper- and lower mast halves of fore and main lower masts?
Yes, Johan. At the bottom of the lower mast I am making an almost square pin. Which fits exactly in the mast step.
I will fix the mast itself later between the upper deck beams. In the apart position, it then protrudes downwards.
Regards, Peter

The K1 is a beauty Peter! That is one true legend and an iconic BMW!
You are right, Heinrich.
I bought it last year. Taken almost everything apart last winter, cleaned everywhere, polished and had a few fairing parts repainted. In the spring it is appraised and immediately worth 1,5 the purchase.
Next year in june we have plans to ride “The Great Alpine Road / Route des Grandes Alpes”. From Geneva to Nice. Almost only up and down. :D
Regards, Peter

View attachment 258705

View attachment 258706

View attachment 258708

View attachment 258709

View attachment 258710

PS:

Regards, Peter
I don't think that "dirt" would be on fishermen's boots but fish guts more likely! More for the stew pot!!! If you have ever ascended a steep ships ladder you will have had to had your forefoot beyond the back of the tread . . . at least my feet had to ascend this way. When Descending we would usually kick out with out feet in front of the treads and slide down the rails on each side. Fast trip down and sometimes hard on the hands. Rich (PT-2)

When Descending we would usually kick out with out feet in front of the treads and slide down the rails on each side. Fast trip down and sometimes hard on the hands.
Never dared that one... When I was working as a mechanic for a shipsengine repair and overhaul company, I always descended bacwards. Something I still do, when encountering steep stairs.

Never dared that one... When I was working as a mechanic for a shipsengine repair and overhaul company, I always descended bacwards. Something I still do, when encountering steep stairs.
When being called to stations under the press of time and other crew we had to be comfortable with that rapid descent or bear the abuse of those astern. If too slow you could get locked out of your station and then all ! * # ! would fly. Rich

When being called to stations under the press of time and other crew we had to be comfortable with that rapid descent or bear the abuse of those astern. If too slow you could get locked out of your station and then all ! * # ! would fly. Rich
I see where you're coming from... Fortunately, I wasn't under that kind of stress, so I could take my time and try to avoid broken limbs. ;)

I don't think that "dirt" would be on fishermen's boots but fish guts more likely! More for the stew pot!!! If you have ever ascended a steep ships ladder you will have had to had your forefoot beyond the back of the tread . . . at least my feet had to ascend this way. When Descending we would usually kick out with out feet in front of the treads and slide down the rails on each side. Fast trip down and sometimes hard on the hands. Rich (PT-2)
Thanxs for you comment, Rich.
Is 'Fish Guts' (under a boot) no 'Dirt'? :rolleyes:
.... If you have ever ascended a steep ships ladder .....
In my time as the miller on the windmill of Woudrichem I have ascend and decend the steep stairs often. Also in a hurry, running on the famous Dutch Wooden Shoes. Forwards and backwards. But due to the current safety and hygiene measures, you see this nowadays mainly by the polder millers.
When I am working in the garden, I still wear them.
Besides: Have you ever wear them of have you been running on them? Let me invite you when you have the opportunity to visit the Netherlands. Then we go to a 'klompenmaker' (<-- Click) near here and have a few custom made. By the way: that offer stands for every foreign SoS member! (When you visit me!)

Back to the stairs/ladder on the ship:
A 'ladder' is indeed a better word for this type of stairs. The BN was not a luxury yacht like the BN-II. Therefore is the compact accommodation more spartan than luxurious. And given the limited space, there was no room for a 'walking staircase'. In the captain's cabin there is one.
This previously posted picture from The Saga was my inspiration:
303a ForeCastle.jpg
I have accentuated the ladder. I don't know if 'the half moons' are shadows of protections for the wood from kicking boots.
Maybe someone still thinks this is a pantry? But there is no stock om the shelfs. And given the position, this corresponds well with the deck components.
PS:
I like the stair/ladder walking/running discussion! Of some of you clearly a deja-vu. :) For me it is.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Besides: Have you ever wear them of have you been running on them? Let me invite you when you have the opportunity to visit the Netherlands. Then we go to a 'klompenmaker' near here and have a few custom made. By the way: that offer stands for every foreign SoS member! (When you visit me!)
Lovely invitation, Peter!
To all, willing to accept Peter's invite; trying out traditional clogs is a must, however, walking on clogs is so much different from walking on shoes, it doesn't compare. I used to run around on my granddad's farm on clogs, when I was a kid. Years later I tried again, very unsuccessful, I might add.

Thanxs for you comment, Rich.
Is 'Fish Guts' (under a boot) no 'Dirt'? :rolleyes:
.... If you have ever ascended a steep ships ladder .....
In my time as the miller on the windmill of Woudrichem I have ascend and decend the steep stairs often. Also in a hurry, running on the famous Dutch Wooden Shoes. Forwards and backwards. But due to the current safety and hygiene measures, you see this nowadays mainly by the polder millers.
When I am working in the garden, I still wear them.
Besides: Have you ever wear them of have you been running on them? Let me invite you when you have the opportunity to visit the Netherlands. Then we go to a 'klompenmaker' (<-- Click) near here and have a few custom made. By the way: that offer stands for every foreign SoS member! (When you visit me!)

Back to the stairs/ladder on the ship:
A 'ladder' is indeed a better word for this type of stairs. The BN was not a luxury yacht like the BN-II. Therefore is the compact accommodation more spartan than luxurious. And given the limited space, there was no room for a 'walking staircase'. In the captain's cabin there is one.
This previously posted picture from The Saga was my inspiration:
View attachment 258850I
I have accentuated the ladder. I don't know if 'the half moons' are shadows of protections for the wood from kicking boots.ik
Maybe someone still thinks this is a pantry? But there is no stock om the shelfs. And given the position, this corresponds well with the deck components.
PS:
I like the stair/ladder walking/running discussion! Of some of you clearly a deja-vu. :) For me it is.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter,

When looking at the Saga' sketch, the stove, obviously, is on the starboard side, at approximately the same fuselage station as the ladder.
Across the entrance to the storage between the pantry/galley and the ice hold bulkhead and half hidden by the stairs, one could assume the sink and tap(s) to be positioned there and to the port side, given the layout is some form of storage. There is a waste disposal(?), some cabinets under the working top, so yes, I'm leaning towards a pantry area being there, also heavily based on the sketch on page 66 of the Saga.
The sketch you using in your post is, to me at least, a little misleading; the perspective used, leads me to believe that the sink/storage area is almost immediately aft of the ladder, which in real life would lead to a very wet and dirty galley area. When looking at the sketch from page 66, there appears to be a little more room to manoeuvre.
The half moons: could that have been a protective coating of some sort?

Kind regards,

Johan

1645CB38-4082-4A75-A14F-9A34E248CFC6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back