ZEEHAEN 1639, 1:37.5, Dutch fluit from Dutch Explorer Abel J. Tasman by Marcus

Jimsky,
Thanks for the compliment and I mentioned it is Sculpey. I have to redo the eyes and create bulging cheeks as well as add a tail. I am more comfortable using clay instead of carving. I will still try to carve some other items.

Marcus

Thanks for all the likes

Worked on the rudder and created 6 gudgeons and pintels from brass bars which were 1/64" thick and 3/32" wide.
4415413_344FluitZeehaenrudder.thumb.jpg.9d4a732e903abadad681226467ba36c2.jpg

806383047_345FluitZeehaenrudder.thumb.jpg.d7295fa0d729a4f06fc477c8ee9ff4a3.jpg

2064228100_346FluitZeehaenrudder.thumb.jpg.30aa4044d0b444e24336d42d0d45d2db.jpg

1317891709_347FluitZeehaenrudder.thumb.jpg.2c6b90fefc6d3331f60fe5bb78dcca17.jpg

817379409_348FluitZeehaenrudder.thumb.jpg.549566d20afbc795cdd13adbb154d633.jpg

1416416165_349FluitZeehaenrudder.thumb.jpg.477124e98e4591b88d18c329093ff6f2.jpg
The top 3 were sanded lightly and painted with matt black oil paint. The bottom 3 and the bottom part of the hull will be painted dirty white.

Started working on the different decks. Lots of measuring.

Yesterday it was in the upper 40's so I put the bandsaw outside and cut 3 inch cedar planks down to an inch thick each. Made 2 birdhouses. They will probably be occupied by the many wren's I have.

Marcus

clever idea to "fake" the connection between the gudgeons and pintels - it is not possible to recognize

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

I was reading the book from Mondfeld and on the pages of the "Head" he talkes about the "seats of ease", the latrines on a ship. He says that modelers rarely add this item. There is a modeler on MSW that built the Victory and he has added them on the head.

I checked the plans of the Zeehaen again and wondered if Cor Emke had added this to the head. I did notice a circle on each side of the head and wondered if that was it.
352 Fluit, Zeehaen seats of ease.jpg

So I researched examples on other ships and it is rare that you find anything about it. I did find an article about Queens Ann Revenge wreck and divers had located a porta potty of that ship.

I decided to create 2 seats of ease and installed them on the head.

351 Fluit, Zeehaen seats of ease .jpg

353 Fluit, Zeehaen seats of ease.jpg

354 Fluit, Zeehaen seats of ease.jpg
Marcus

Added a layer of sanding sealer to the outside of the hull. The advantage for me is that when I paint any area of the hull and accidentally get paint on an area which is not to be painted, it wipes off easily without leaving anything behind.

355 Fluit, Zeehaen painting.jpg

356 Fluit, Zeehaen painting.jpg
The blue thing is a silicone ice cube tray and it is where I keep the paint I use in.

357 Fluit, Zeehaen painting.jpg

358 Fluit, Zeehaen painting.jpg
Painted the upper area of the hull and the little windows on the stern.
Colors used: Yellow Ochre, Chrome Oxide Green and Cadmium Red Deep Hue.

359 Fluit, Zeehaen Baltic birch ply.jpg

360 Fluit, Zeehaen Baltic birch ply.jpg

361 Fluit, Zeehaen deck planks.jpg

362 Fluit, Zeehaen deck planks.jpg
I ran out of maple for the deck planks so instead I am using Baltic Birch which is also nice and light in color, 1/32" (0.79mm) thick. Cut strips of 200mm L, by 6mm W and darkened one edge of it. I know it is not the conventional planking method but it works for me and the end result is about the same.

Gratings:
Started glueing 1mm x 1mm strips of basswood on basswood squares. Once dry I will cut them in 3mm pieces. Then I will turn them on edge and glue the pieces together. Once dry, a frame will be made around it and
installed on the decks. (I am using the example on pg 113, 114 of Ship Modeler's Shop Notes 1 from the NRG).

363 Fluit, Zeehaen dack gratings.jpg

364 Fluit, Zeehaen deck gratings.jpg

Deck planking:
Next, slowly planking the deck. The wood strips that are located where the gratings go are 8mm and 9mm wide and all other strips are 6mm wide. The average length on all of them is 200mm. Planking the decks towards the edge of the inside of the hull wall is another exercise of patience. Unlike most
ships the hull wall goes straight up but on the Fluit it bends inward. Lots of trail and error.

365 Fluit, Zeehaen bakdek planking.jpg

366 Fluit, Zeehaen upper deck planking.jpg

367 Fluit, Zeehaen upper deck planking.jpg

368 Fluit, Zeehaen upper deck planking.jpg

Fluit, Zeehaen stern windows.jpg
Stern windows

Next I will start making the different deck items.

Marcus

Last couple of days have been in the 70's F (20°C) (rare watm weather) so spend time cleaning up the flower beds and edible garden.

Finished the tiller and whipstaff. I will install this when I am ready to put the back deck in. I built it in a way that once installed it actually works.
370 Fluit, Zeehaen Kolderstok roer.jpg

The nosy cat, Boomer at 18 years.
371 Fluit, Zeehaen Boomer.jpg

Gratings have been glued together and need a good sanding. Also made the mast holders (don't know the name) and the railings with the reiling pillars.
372 Fluit, Zeehaen deck fittings.jpg

Cut out all the different types of bits and started shaping them.
373 Fluit, Zeehaen birs.jpg

Did some more Sculpey work. These two faces/heads need to be identical, but they are not. Will need to adjust this or leave it as is.
374 Fluit, Zeehaen clay faces.jpg

Marcus

Hello Marcus. You are making good progress! I like the idea that the two faces are not identical. Please tell us the name of the zeeduivel!

Thanks for all the likes, suggestions and comments.

375 Fluit, Zeehaen complete ship.jpg
This is wat the Zeehaen presently looks like.

376 Fluit, Zeehaen ralings Mars black.jpg
Made the railings. Cut numerous little blocks from square dowels and glued them in place, then added a strip of wood on top and painted it all with Acrylic Mars Black which is matt.

377 Fluit, Zeehaen railings or reilings.jpg
Railings

378, Fluit, Zeehaen bowsprite, davits or ankerkraan.jpg
Front area which has not been glued on the ship yet. The davits have been glued on an angle in place.

379 Fluit, Zeehaen railings.jpg
Railings on an angle.

380 Fluit, Zeehaen gratings or lattenroosters.jpg
All gratings were made from walnut and added 4 rings to the large and medium grate an 2 rings to the smaller one.

381 Fluit, Zeehaen channels or rusten.jpg
Starting to work on the channels.

As the weather gets warmer, I spend less time building and more time in the garden. This year my edible garden will be intense.

Marcus

Still working on the deck items but have a question about the rigging of the fluit.

What are the rules for determining the dimensions of rope for standing and running rigging?

Especially large ships such as man-of-war, Pinas, East Indiaman, etc.

When I scratch built the Utrecht, the Boyer and other smaller Dutch ships, I guessed the rigging and the results were good. Now I am building a larger ship en cannot guess the rigging anymore.

Books I have:
C. G. Davis, The Ship model builder's assistant
G. Biddlecombe, The art of rigging (pretty good explanations lots of tables but not how they got the numbers)
R. C. Anderson, The rigging of ships in the days of the spritsail Topmast 1600-1720
W. zu Mondfeld, Historic ship models (reasonable explanation)
M. Roth, Ship Modeling from stem to stern (very extensive explanations)
D.Steel The Art of Rigging (1796)

Are there other books, Excel spreadsheets, and URLs where the given question is discussed?
What are the math formulas with answers?
Can someone give me and write down an example?

Thank you very much.
Marcus

Still working on the deck items but have a question about the rigging of the fluit.

What are the rules for determining the dimensions of rope for standing and running rigging?

Especially large ships such as man-of-war, Pinas, East Indiaman, etc.

When I scratch built the Utrecht, the Boyer and other smaller Dutch ships, I guessed the rigging and the results were good. Now I am building a larger ship en cannot guess the rigging anymore.

Books I have:
C. G. Davis, The Ship model builder's assistant
G. Biddlecombe, The art of rigging (pretty good explanations lots of tables but not how they got the numbers)
R. C. Anderson, The rigging of ships in the days of the spritsail Topmast 1600-1720
W. zu Mondfeld, Historic ship models (reasonable explanation)
M. Roth, Ship Modeling from stem to stern (very extensive explanations)
D.Steel The Art of Rigging (1796)

Are there other books, Excel spreadsheets, and URLs where the given question is discussed?
What are the math formulas with answers?
Can someone give me and write down an example?

Thank you very much.
Marcus
Pictures of my fluit are posted on https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/dutch-fluit-from-hoving-plans.4672/. The spread sheet I used for rigging in 1/64 scale is attached. I apologize for it being somewhat cryptic but all the data is there.

Attachments

• Fluitrigging.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 12
Back