ZHL Black Pearl Golden Edition 2016

Wow mate you have progressed very nice build so a cannon rolling around the bilge somewhere I must make a note to self when I install my guns,keep up the build log cheers.
Thanks Hoffy, welp the glue kept it from rolling around and I couldn’t see it through my endoscope so had to improvise. Will be in OZ in October.

Progressing a little further. Still need to paint the copper color black on the captain’s quarters. Added lanterns, anchors and above deck cannons. Thought it needed some cannon balls. Since I reload shotgun shells and the 71/2 shot was perfect for the cannon balls I decided to go
with it.
16943F1A-1BCA-4DEC-8749-A0F50470CEA7.jpeg142C9448-4B5F-4771-9299-E4A5693E3F6E.jpeg168CA1E7-00D2-4892-9B09-D2E0D112712A.jpeg8A7CA698-EC90-4DE3-89B7-9EAF7774305C.jpeg

I just noticed your mizzen deck has two levels mine did'nt might have to go back and check my manual,maybe too late to add it now.

I just noticed your mizzen deck has two levels mine did'nt might have to go back and check my manual,maybe too late to add it now.

On Facebook the ZHL page, some of the pictures show it with one level some with two levels. Don’t know which one might be an earlier version.

Given mine is the 2019 version I guess mine is ok as is well that's what going with, I see you have no gun rigging as yet but placed cannon balls is this the finished state or have you not yet decided? I have recoil ropes on my guns wasthinking about block and tackle also not decided yet as the locks will need to be small and deck could get to clutter.

Given mine is the 2019 version I guess mine is ok as is well that's what going with, I see you have no gun rigging as yet but placed cannon balls is this the finished state or have you not yet decided? I have recoil ropes on my guns wasthinking about block and tackle also not decided yet as the locks will need to be small and deck could get to clutter.

I had thought about recoil ropes and though it is not off the table I’m not sure that I will add them. The rigging alone is going to be a big challenge for me.

Hallo @Jay ,
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Reactions: Jay
I thought it was weird that the doors to the captain’s cabin didn’t have any handles so I added some of my own. Also didn’t like the copper color I had painted the roof of the captain’s quarters so like The Rolling Stones song I painted it black. The sails were too light for me so I soaked them in coffee to give them a slightly weathered look. Doing what I can on the masts. My advice to myself is do the most rigging etc on the masts as you can before installing them on the ship because there just wouldn’t be enough room to maneuver your hands for tying lines and sails. A789BADE-81F4-43BE-A68B-82DD6F1BFC13.jpeg681EBA47-B83B-4BC8-A294-A6158D9558D0.jpeg54967C05-09DD-4301-9DD1-9BE9C31916DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking great Jay, are you having the sails furled or un-furled.
Thanks Hoffy, I am going to have them unfurled. I still have some safety wire from when I was a jet engine mechanic that I am going to sew into the sails so that it looks like the sails have caught the wind.

We all learn as we go, hopefully how to do things easier and better. Like making sure the bulkheads are square and level with keel.

Planking does get a bit better as we learn and get the experience under out belt.

I like the color of the ship, I have seen several painted flat back, as the name implies.

She does look to be a real Pearl for your first build, my first didn't look this good at all and it was much simpler.

Another way to make sails look like they are in the wind is to mount on the mast, cover with thinned white glue and clip wires to hold bottom corners and set in front of fan to dry in the breeze, I have seen other builder who showed this and sails looked good. You can try a test first to get the feel and see what mix works best. I would think easier than sewing safety wire into the sails.

P.S. I know about safety wire all to well as old retired Crew Chief in USAF.

Another way to make sails look like they are in the wind is to mount on the mast, cover with thinned white glue and clip wires to hold bottom corners and set in front of fan to dry in the breeze, I have seen other builder who showed this and sails looked good. You can try a test first to get the feel and see what mix works best. I would think easier than sewing safety wire into the sails.

P.S. I know about safety wire all to well as old retired Crew Chief in USAF.

Good points Kkonrath and worth a try. Ha ha, your dots have been connected, USAF, Crew Chief, OKC and Tinker.

Yes, I worked A-7Ds Corsair II, and A-10A Thunderbolt II, AKA the Warthog!

Loved the A-10 engine, high bypass turbo fan, didn't care if a small bird wanted to see what was inside the cowls.

Reactions: Jay
I’m sewing the seams in the sails now. 4 years in the military has really paid off . My idea to use safety wire for billowing the sails was a bust so I am using a glue and water mixture. After the sail is saturated I put it on a pickle jar to get a curve. After it drys it still can be worked into a better shape if it doesn’t look the way you want it at first. Only 8 more sails to go and then I will air brush more weathering on the sails if it warrants it. 2BCEE8BC-4ED1-4F35-A987-73B28C8B30CE.jpegFE10B8A6-69B9-4B1E-9808-716BC0689614.jpeg1FE927B1-90FD-4F75-A134-0FF51456EE1B.jpeg9901A573-0CDD-4A53-BD1E-A17D0AD08041.jpeg630595FF-5F8E-4EDC-9B3B-F74B3192C94D.jpeg868C79BB-D0A1-4914-B4FE-8A437AACDD21.jpeg

Back