ZHL Black Pearl Golden Edition 2016

I’m sewing the seams in the sails now. 4 years in the military has really paid off . My idea to use safety wire for billowing the sails was a bust so I am using a glue and water mixture. After the sail is saturated I put it on a pickle jar to get a curve. After it drys it still can be worked into a better shape if it doesn’t look the way you want it at first. Only 8 more sails to go and then I will air brush more weathering on the sails if it warrants it. View attachment 160794View attachment 160795View attachment 160796View attachment 160797View attachment 160798View attachment 160799
Do you prefer hand stitching to sewing machine stitching?

Do you prefer hand stitching to sewing machine stitching?
Good question cuz at the time I was mulling over both. Not knowing much about life on the high seas a few hundred years ago I figured sails were probably stitched by hand so that is what I went with although I never really researched the subject. I guess I could have made the stitches closer together but I figured it looked okay to me. Are you going to be stitching your sails?

I think you're doing a great job. One cool thing about building the Black Pearl is it would look wrong if everything was perfect.
Couldn’t agree more and I think the Black Pearl is an affordable first kit for someone like me who never did any kind of modeling. Hope you get some rain to put out the fires. Former front range resident here.

Good question cuz at the time I was mulling over both. Not knowing much about life on the high seas a few hundred years ago I figured sails were probably stitched by hand so that is what I went with although I never really researched the subject. I guess I could have made the stitches closer together but I figured it looked okay to me. Are you going to be stitching your sails?
I think the Admiral will be helping me there. I originally thought I might hand stitch before I discovered how many knots are involved with rat lines. I'm pretty sure I changed my mind.

Reactions: Jay
We sure could use that rain on the west side of the mountains. I think the fire near us must have run out of trees, last I heard it was over 200 square miles burned in this fire alone. It's still 5% humidity and 100 degrees but the smoke is pretty much gone. Definitely saying some prayers for your and my family down in AR.

Dear Jay
I read tha blog , and was pleasure to read & see the beautiful results Thumbs-Up Thumbsup :D

We sure could use that rain on the west side of the mountains. I think the fire near us must have run out of trees, last I heard it was over 200 square miles burned in this fire alone. It's still 5% humidity and 100 degrees but the smoke is pretty much gone. Definitely saying some prayers for your and my family down in AR.
Thanks. Looks like we are going to meet Laura up close and personal.

I had thought about recoil ropes and though it is not off the table I’m not sure that I will add them. The rigging alone is going to be a big challenge for me.
Yeah, I’m going with recoil ropes for my 1:100 Connie. Just too small to do other rigging with 72 year old hands.

I’m doing the rigging now for the mainmast. To say that it’s frustrating for me is an understatement. The more rigging I do the harder it is. Spastic hands are not a friend. For those of you that have steady hands I’m sure it’s much easier. Like I said before the more you can do off the ship the easier it will be. A91F8749-89F5-497B-841E-54DD2FA21988.jpeg

I’m doing the rigging now for the mainmast. To say that it’s frustrating for me is an understatement. The more rigging I do the harder it is. Spastic hands are not a friend. For those of you that have steady hands I’m sure it’s much easier. Like I said before the more you can do off the ship the easier it will be. View attachment 179274
Looking pretty good, Jay. I've been fighting a spastic back for the past two weeks. Valium and codeine help a lot. Unfortunately, can't stay on them forever.

I’m putting the chain plates in place. I was using a hammer, drift and punch to do it. What a pain. I purchased these pin insertion pliers and they work well for me. You just hold the brad or nail towards the front part so it doesn’t bend when inserting it and move the pliers towards the head to drive it deeper into the hull.

Attachments

• 9867F01A-CC48-41E1-9568-6BF705D7D829.jpeg
    9867F01A-CC48-41E1-9568-6BF705D7D829.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 6
Looking pretty good, Jay. I've been fighting a spastic back for the past two weeks. Valium and codeine help a lot. Unfortunately, can't stay on them forever.
I’m with you. I’m on oxy’s. I’m supposed to take 6 a day but I can’t stand them.

Back