ZHL Black Pearl Golden Edition 2016

Doing a great job Jay, I have started the rigging on mine the past week or so. Its my first time doing this and even with able hands I'm struggling so I think you are doing great.

Doing a great job Jay, I have started the rigging on mine the past week or so. Its my first time doing this and even with able hands I'm struggling so I think you are doing great.
Thanks, you are doing a fantastic job so I think your rigging will be great also.

Finished the standing rigging on the main mast. Tried using guides and wire to space the dead eyes but I just couldn’t get the hang of it so I just eyeballed it like I have done with everything else on this build. I will try to be more precise on the next build. CCACEBF4-FD8A-4867-9455-85B3FDDC2F8F.jpeg

Am a big admirer of the effort you've put in to your work @Jay and how you've overcome your limitations. I am just starting with the rigging on my BP and I know how difficult it can be to do all those tight seizings and servings. Keep it up my friend.

Finished the standing rigging on the main mast. Tried using guides and wire to space the dead eyes but I just couldn’t get the hang of it so I just eyeballed it like I have done with everything else on this build. I will try to be more precise on the next build. View attachment 182496
Looks pretty good to me. I’m not sure they’d be perfectly aligned in real life if they are used to tighten shrouds. Yours are better than my first 10. After a while you get the hang of it. Even then I sometimes had to tear it open and start over.

Am a big admirer of the effort you've put in to your work @Jay and how you've overcome your limitations. I am just starting with the rigging on my BP and I know how difficult it can be to do all those tight seizings and servings. Keep it up my friend.
WarrLight, thanks. It’s fun seeing all the different versions of the Pearl being built. As always I look forward to seeing your progress.

Looks pretty good to me. I’m not sure they’d be perfectly aligned in real life if they are used to tighten shrouds. Yours are better than my first 10. After a while you get the hang of it. Even then I sometimes had to tear it open and start over.
I have read that and you know me, I am a stickler for accuracy ha ha. I certainly don’t have OCD where everything has to line up properly. I guess I am from the Salvador Dali or Pablo Picasso school of ship modeling.

I have read that and you know me, I am a stickler for accuracy ha ha. I certainly don’t have OCD where everything has to line up properly. I guess I am from the Salvador Dali or Pablo Picasso school of ship modeling.
My Connie is an abstract work as well.

Did you rig your main mast before installing it? If so, how did that go? Any easier?
Victator,
Yes I installed the yards, sails and all the standing rigging to the mainmast except I only did the lower shrouds not the ratlines. Much easier in my opinion. If I had waited to do all that after the mainmast was installed it would have become the After Battle and Sunk to the Bottom of the Sea version of the Black Pearl.

Last edited:
Finally got to the installing the foremast stage. Did the lower shrouds while the mast was off the ship. Using my laser level to get the mast installed correctly and now I am ready to start the running rigging.684B4A2F-5916-4570-ACF5-8C4A862B0664.jpegF2C440DF-FE44-485A-B9BC-F7754DE6417E.jpeg87E08228-2740-4240-98A1-66E4B774E361.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine looks like it sank 100 years ago and the worms have eaten it up. You’re making good progress. I’m stuck on lights. Each led is 2mm. I’ve burnt up three and dropped another seven on the carpet. I have four “good” ones installed. They don’t all fit in the lanterns. I’m ordering some new ones already soldered.

Mine looks like it sank 100 years ago and the worms have eaten it up. You’re making good progress. I’m stuck on lights. Each led is 2mm. I’ve burnt up three and dropped another seven on the carpet. I have four “good” ones installed. They don’t all fit in the lanterns. I’m ordering some new ones already soldered.
Welp it sank probably 200 years ago and don’t forget it caught on fire and went down in flames so yours is more of a true Black Pearl where mine is more the Wicked Wench.

I was able to get all the rigging from the foremast to the bowsprit done. When I first started this build I would have said I got the black strings from the tall stick in front to the forward pointy stick attached. Even a newbie old dog can learn a few things. Still need to attach the sails. Have done some of the running rigging on the foremast and will be working on the lower shrouds soon. The end is in sight and it is finally looking like a ship. 8073FE23-AD40-494E-A352-A1C2A9DFD6F8.jpeg

I’m loving it, Jaybird! I’m still trying to figure out the difference between a job and a jibe. Sometimes I think I am starting to get it and a look at someone else’s log and my mind explodes.

Back