ZHL Black Pearl Golden Version by rickyboy66

If the maple stains well i don't know what the color is called but it's like a golden yellowish i seen it somebody's build log and I really liked it I have black walnut for the hull or if I can, on the ZHL website there are a couple of show models on it and the hull is like brownish gold again I don't know what the color is if anybody knows what the color is called and where i might be able to purchase it from that would be great. If for any reason the maple doesn't stain well I'll just go with the natural look it will still look good. Right now I am wiring the stern unfortunately the wire is so small the 3 lanterns have to be wired completely the bulb and wire are so small i can't leave them long enough to able to insert the bulb up into the lamp because once it's closed up I won't be able to pull the excess wire down into the hull, I'll just have to be careful while I finish the ship.View attachment 294764
You might consider using a wood dye on maple vs a stain. Try your selection on a similar scrap first.

Thanks Phil, didn't think about that I've seen it in the paint department but never used it before. Sounds like a good thing for experimenting.

If the maple stains well i don't know what the color is called but it's like a golden yellowish i seen it somebody's build log and I really liked it I have black walnut for the hull or if I can, on the ZHL website there are a couple of show models on it and the hull is like brownish gold again I don't know what the color is if anybody knows what the color is called and where i might be able to purchase it from that would be great. If for any reason the maple doesn't stain well I'll just go with the natural look it will still look good. Right now I am wiring the stern unfortunately the wire is so small the 3 lanterns have to be wired completely the bulb and wire are so small i can't leave them long enough to able to insert the bulb up into the lamp because once it's closed up I won't be able to pull the excess wire down into the hull, I'll just have to be careful while I finish the ship.View attachment 294764
Can you splice wires and use shrink wrap?

With the pico lights from Evans Design you can't splice the braided wire I have all three lanterns wired I'll rig something up to protect them when I plank the hull, I thought it was going to be a real challenge but it went really well. I should have the maple for the deck sometime this week.

With the pico lights from Evans Design you can't splice the braided wire I have all three lanterns wired I'll rig something up to protect them when I plank the hull, I thought it was going to be a real challenge but it went really well. I should have the maple for the deck sometime this week.
If you are attaching the lanterns now they will be a problem for the rest of the build and they are easily broken. On my BP the wires where free to move up and down about half an inch giving me enough room to solder the LEDS then push the wires down when gluing the lanterns in place. See my log for more details.

What is the latest on your golden version build?

Back