ZHL MISTICQUE 1/36 Box Opening

Hi all

A SOS member requested if I can do a box opening of this kit. And here we go.

I am not an expert to do a real kit review. So I will just show you the box content in pictures. You can find all the info details, a box oppening Video and more detailed and professional pictures at this link.

I will say that the kit came very well packed. A week and a half after I ordered it, landed in my front door.

The wood quality looks fine with me. All decorations are laser cut. Cannons are well detailed and it is a big boy (more than a meter long). English instruction manual with very good reference pictures.

This will be a fun and nice kit to build with lots of opportunities to add/modify for the experienced modelers. I will build it as it came in the box and I hope mine finish like the one pictured at ZHL MODEL.

Pictures please :) (Zoom to see details)

20200806_113935.jpg20200806_114026.jpg20200806_114128.jpg20200806_114344.jpg20200806_114405.jpg20200806_114429.jpg20200806_114450.jpg20200806_114542.jpg20200806_114655.jpg20200806_114922.jpg20200806_115103.jpg20200806_115302.jpg20200806_115511.jpg20200806_115610.jpg20200806_115729.jpg20200806_120318.jpg

Best !!!
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi all

A SOS member requested if I can do a box opening of this kit. And here we go.

I am not an expert to do a real kit review. So I will just show you the box content in pictures. You can find all the info details, a box oppening Video and more detailed and professional pictures at this link.

I will say that the kit came very well packed. A week and a half after I ordered it, landed in my front door.

The wood quality looks fine with me. All decorations are laser cut. Cannons are well detailed and it is a big boy (more than a meter long). English instruction manual with very good reference pictures.

This will be a fun and nice kit to build with lots of opportunities to add/modify for the experienced modelers. I will build it as it came in the box and I hope mine finish like the one pictured at ZHL MODEL.

Pictures please :) (Zoom to see details)

View attachment 171105View attachment 171106View attachment 171107View attachment 171108View attachment 171109View attachment 171110View attachment 171111View attachment 171112View attachment 171113View attachment 171114View attachment 171115View attachment 171116View attachment 171117View attachment 171118View attachment 171119View attachment 171120

Best !!!
Daniel
Well the mystery is out of the box now and it looks like you will have your life filled for some time going through not only the materials but the book as well. Enjoy the trip and keep an even keel along the way not allowing winds of frustration to put you on your beams end.. PT-2

It looks like a magnificent kit with superb instructions! You must enjoy her build, Daniel. Congratulations!

@Brian077 Got the message - for the umpteenth time :cool: Let's enjoy the kit for what is - and stop the comparisons to other manufacturers. Caldercraft's HMS Victory is still regarded as THE industry standard when it comes to models of the HMS Victory, while Falkonet, Master Korabel, Maris Stella and Piroscaf all produce exquisite kits - albeit in another genre. BTW; have you ever built a Kolderstok model?

well. I was specially interested in that kit, because I got the Corel Kit of the Mystique some years ago and didn't like the instructions - gave it to a friend of my father, who actually built a very nice model out of it ...no idea what/if he bashed/changed anything, but that Guy knew what he was doing!
But I do love the lines of the Chebecs - even of the square rigged ones :p - and "need" do build one by myself - in some distand future ;)

well. I was specially interested in that kit, because I got the Corel Kit of the Mystique some years ago and didn't like the instructions - gave it to a friend of my father, who actually built a very nice model out of it ...no idea what/if he bashed/changed anything, but that Guy knew what he was doing!
But I do love the lines of the Chebecs - even of the square rigged ones :p - and "need" do build one by myself - in some distand future ;)

Mr Deep did a fantastic job..... take a look to his thread:

I have my Corel Mistique on sale here at SOS because I decided to go with this big brother. Its been on eBay for a while too at a significantly lower price than model shops. But, if I don’t sell it in a few months, after seeing what Mr Deep built, I will keep it.

Cheers
Daniel

and stop the comparisons to other manufacturers.
I'm very animated about it.
Try not to be too hard on us Heinrich. Some of us out here (Brian included) have been unfairly maligned by others in the model building world just for simply buying a kit from China. Sometimes that hurt comes out in our posts. Of course we know there are other great kits out there!!

Give 10 modellers the same kit and you will get 10 different interpretations and qualities. It is the same with the kit manufacturers. Just like Brian, I was happily surprised when the first kits from China appeared, which exactly matched my taste. Also the current hype for "Coureur" and "Alert" has its origin in long missed interpretations and designs.

Hi Daniel!

The kit of the "Mistique" makes a very good impression and I wish you a lot of fun while modelling!!!

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
MIKE IS SO RIGHT, NOT GOING TO ENGAGE BUT I TOO KNOW HOW BRIAN FEELS, WHEN WAS THE LAST UPDATE ON CERTAIN EURO KITS THAT HAVE BEEN OUT FOR 30 FORTY YEARS, UGH, CHECK OUT THE MARAMA BUILD AND THE UPGRADES, THEY DO THIS CONSTANTLY, BETTER FOR THE HOBBY. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

The ZHL kits are getting better and better! I remember and early ZHL kit I got that had English translated from Chinese instructions that were absolutely hilarious in missed idioms. Had to rely on the always superb photo set. I have the ZHL kit San Felipe under the bench waiting...two huge boxes...

The ZHL kits are getting better and better! I remember and early ZHL kit I got that had English translated from Chinese instructions that were absolutely hilarious in missed idioms. Had to rely on the always superb photo set. I have the ZHL kit San Felipe under the bench waiting...two huge boxes...
Oh am I glad that so far I am not addicted to buying many kits which would be in the dark unknown to me of quality differences to worry about. . . . however, anything is possible in principle with time. PT-2

Back