ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

Hello John, We thank you for your nice wishes. I can not get over just how nice that ZHL Royal Caroline is with all of that fantastic wood and scroll work it sure puts all of the other kits of this ship to shame to that that are or have been on the market, they are all junkey and very cheep in comparison to your ZHL kit that is miles ahead of all of these by a long shot. For a kit this size it is not hard at all for a model builder to decide on what they want to build. If I had the room I would not hesitate to order this great kit from ZHL. But I must stick with the smaller ships.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 23963
The staircase leading down from the quarter deck to the cabin.
I wish now that I had coloured it in some way.

View attachment 23964
Looking down on the cabin, the front and rear have been erected.

View attachment 23965
Starboard side view, the planking at the stern has yet to be trimmed
and the yard manager is on board checking things out.

View attachment 23966
The hull has been filled and sanded, the ports cut and one of the wales added, the transom has yet to be sanded.

View attachment 23967
View from forward, this is where things got a little bit muddy, with no actual plans, I resorted to the book of photos, they also give you another 192 photos of her as well, to work out where the wales went, they probably tell you in the instructions if you can read Chinese, to be fair to them they offered to send me English instructions, but I persevered with what I had and after a little bit of detective work everything was OK. Has I said before this one is not for a beginner thats not to say they could'nt build it.

View attachment 23969
Close up view.

View attachment 23970
View along the deck looking at the cabin front.

Hi John, where are the 192 photos you referenced? Are they on one of the Cds they provided with the kit & if so, which cd??
-Rick

G'day Gary, thanks for the nice comment, The ZHL RC is supposed to be double planked on the hull, on this pic she is single planked with 8mmx 2.5mm planks, on the instructions you are then supposed to second plank with veneer planks, but these planks are lighter colour than the the stem, stern post and keel, so I decided to paint it off white from the Wales down, it is a credit to developement skills that when I checked the bulkheads all the planks ran smoothly and after planking only had to lightly sand the hull before painting, I will upload some pics of her with the two tone planking, it does look nice but I prefer the one colour, thanks for dropping by,

best regdards John.
Hi again John, what did you use for the 8mmx 2.5mm planks because that is what I will be doing as well????
-Rick

Hi John, where are the 192 photos you referenced? Are they on one of the Cds they provided with the kit & if so, which cd??
-Rick
G'day Rick, you should have 4 DVD's, if you open the discs to view the contents, the first item on the list is the 192 photos, each of the first three discs has the same 192 photos, and each of these three discs has the build videos over them, and the fourth disc has two video's on it showing the building of the tops etc, see pics below,

IMG20201128234336.jpg
when you load on your PC you should get this, click on Open folder to view files,

IMG20201128234350.jpg
the first folder in the above pic is the 192 photo's, and the third folder contains some of the build video's,

IMG20201128234402.jpg
when you click on the first folder it should look like this,

IMG20201128234418.jpg
and when you open the folder you should see this, hope this helps you,

best regards john,

Hi again John, what did you use for the 8mmx 2.5mm planks because that is what I will be doing as well????
-Rick
I used the 8 x 2.5 planks that were supplied in the kit, only I didn't cover them with the veneer planks, I covered the 8 x 2.5 planks with fibre glass and resin because at the beginning I had plans to sail her on the pond, but changed my mind after glassing her up, the link below shows the start of the planking and if you scroll right down to the bottom of the page you will see glassed up and being painted,

Last edited:
Hello again Rick, I am sending you 30 pdf's by email, so watch out they dont go into your spam folder, these are not the one's Greg did, they are ones that the ebay seller sent to me and I have only just found them on a disc in my drawer, they are a bit hard to understand and you have to use them with the Chinese pdf's that show the photo's, they might help you, try them and see,

best regards John,

G'day Rick, you should have 4 DVD's, if you open the discs to view the contents, the first item on the list is the 192 photos, each of the first three discs has the same 192 photos, and each of these three discs has the build videos over them, and the fourth disc has two video's on it showing the building of the tops etc, see pics below,

View attachment 195749
when you load on your PC you should get this, click on Open folder to view files,

View attachment 195750
the first folder in the above pic is the 192 photo's, and the third folder contains some of the build video's,

View attachment 195751
when you click on the first folder it should look like this,

View attachment 195752
and when you open the folder you should see this, hope this helps you,

best regards john,
Hello again Rick, I am sending you 30 pdf's by email, so watch out they dont go into your spam folder, these are not the one's Greg did, they are ones that the ebay seller sent to me and I have only just found them on a disc in my drawer, they are a bit hard to understand and you have to use them with the Chinese pdf's that show the photo's, they might help you, try them and see,

best regards John,
Hi John,
I must have the boot legged CD's because there is only the Video & Audio files???
-Rick

20201129_141438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So what did you actually get with the kit, how many DVD's and instruction books etc, I'm going to send you some pics by email, do you have the 32 video's of the construction etc,

best regards john,
Hi John,
I got 4 CD's, and all the Chinese Instructions and Chinese plans (I only took a few pics). I had to order the cabins Interior furniture/flooring separately.

20201129_194729.jpg

20201129_194515.jpg

20201129_194507.jpg

20201129_194422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Terry,
When I first got this model, it was a plank on bulkhead kit that I bought through Amazon. It came with a full set of English instructions.
Capt. Mike41 did his magic and produced a set of plank on frame plans. I was and am at the time a novice builder I was in the final stages of the Blanford group build project. If you would like the plans, you must contract mike41.

Hi Terry,
When I first got this model, it was a plank on bulkhead kit that I bought through Amazon. It came with a full set of English instructions.
Capt. Mike41 did his magic and produced a set of plank on frame plans. I was and am at the time a novice builder I was in the final stages of the Blanford group build project. If you would like the plans, you must contract mike41.
G'day Mike I havnt seen you around for awhile, are you doing a build log for the Royal Caroline, that's interesting that Mike has done a set of Plank on Frame plans for her, do you know if he sells them,
Best regards John,

G'day Terry, I paid $1250 Australian, but that was 5 years, it is the Pear Wood version and it included the ship all the masting, all the LEDs and the furniture for the Cabin, and the shipping, I bought it off eBay, and it is definitely worth the money, hope this helps you,
best regards John ,

G'day Mike I havnt seen you around for awhile, are you doing a build log for the Royal Caroline, that's interesting that Mike has done a set of Plank on Frame plans for her, do you know if he sells them,
Best regards John,
You would have to ask him.

Best regards John,
I haven't been doing any building as my tremors are so bad, I can't do the find stuff. I haven't lost my interest though.

I haven't been doing any building as my tremors are so bad, I can't do the find stuff. I haven't lost my interest though.
I'm sorry to hear about the tremors Mike, I had some problems with my left arm and hand but they managed to sort it out, hope you are better soon,
Best regards John,

Back