1/30 HMS Royal Caroline Build

What do you get when you mix the most commercially available detailed kit in the world and one of the most experienced shipbuilders on the forum? Answer: The magnificent Royal Caroline that we all have the pleasure to view on these pages!

Just beautiful, my friend. I had a lot catching-up to do but every minute of it was more than worthwhile.
Thank you for your kind words my friend.

Thank you for the kind words my friend
they are not kind words, BUT REALITY.
I have 60 years plus, behind me with wooden ships (30 plus)
and before that about10years about on plastic- flight 2nd World War, commercial flight MC MacDonal and Boing- before Airbus. Then Cutty Sark, Termopyle, Horner, Wisconsin, Old Iron Ship. Fletcher I built a few years ago, and transformed it, to one of the 5 fletcher we had in Spain

01 Norske love 1.jpg

01.jpg

WIP---
Just a quick status post--- Before In stalling the 8 cannons, I am building the 2 Pissdales and need to install these before the cannons go in. I have attached some pics of a few models that show them and a real one.
More to come on this.........................................................................................

20240129_003943.jpg

20240202_003208.jpg

20240202_003240.jpg

20240202_003245.jpg

post-3035-0-94478700-1375620465.jpg

IMG-9166.jpg

f9202_005a.jpg

6853846275_3595bb6950_b.jpg

ET9JwVFU4AEHEwJ.jpeg

Absolutely superb detailing. I wonder how many modelers have that on their models! ROTF Your rigged cannons look like the real thing; the cannon rigging is the best I have seen.

WIP---
Just a quick status post--- Before In stalling the 8 cannons, I am building the 2 Pissdales and need to install these before the cannons go in. I have attached some pics of a few models that show them and a real one.
More to come on this.........................................................................................

View attachment 425169

View attachment 425170

View attachment 425171

View attachment 425172

View attachment 425173

View attachment 425174

View attachment 425175

View attachment 425176

View attachment 425177

I love the details and mostly the details on the cannons. Being a rebel I just can't whithold two questions to that:
- The breaching ropes seem to be too thick
- I think the black surfaces on the carriage wheels represent an iron ring on them. But there was no such a thing. The iron would have damaged the deck in no time.
I hope you don't take this as a criticism, it does not mean to be!
János

Hello everyone,
My name is Rick & I have been a model ship builder for approx 45 years. My intent for this build log is to help other builders ( & Future Builders) of this kit with all the Good, Bad & the Ugly nuances that I have come across during the construction . This particular kit is definitely not for the beginner or even the intermediate builder because there are many frustrating aspects of this kit that would leave many of builds put away into ones closet or worse-putting the kit on Ebay!!!!!!! I am not going to non-stop bash this kit, because there are a lot of Great things about the kit as well but I merely want to bring out things that will & can lead one astray and cause a lot of frustration, tears & PAIN (LOL) as some of the other builders , such as Maarten can contest too!!! I have posted just a few pics and I will post many more because I am much farther along then the pictures show. I will attempt to stay in order of chronological build steps and gladly answer any questions some may have. I won't get into to much technique type pictures unless requested because I believe every model ship builder has their own unique build style and I am not one to say your doing something wrong just because you build differently than myself!!!
To me, building a model ship, especially a expensive one such as this, should not be a race against time but rather a chance to slow my hectic life down a notch & enjoy this kit & I like to challenge myself to attempt to create a piece of Art that can be enjoyed by many for years to come!
I will keep my introduction short and from this point on, I will start to post build pics and items used and issues that have come up & look forward to talking to you all--Rick

View attachment 234026View attachment 234027View attachment 234029View attachment 234030View attachment 234032View attachment 234034View attachment 234035View attachment 234036View attachment 234037View attachment 234038View attachment 234040View attachment 234041
I fully agree with you -have 5 more buildings on my back - especially I like your start with Keel and False Keel together. There are so many details to comment on, but as they are already done, it is a little late but only one thing to mention and that is, that I never did insert the deck or decks before the hull was planked totally.-el capi

I love the details and mostly the details on the cannons. Being a rebel I just can't whithold two questions to that:
- The breaching ropes seem to be too thick
- I think the black surfaces on the carriage wheels represent an iron ring on them. But there was no such a thing. The iron would have damaged the deck in no time.
I hope you don't take this as a criticism, it does not mean to be!
János
Hello Janos & sorry for the delay replying to your comment. I did make a mental mistake with the Breeching lines & they are slightly too large as you observed. I had a senior moment and got crossed up between circumference vs diameter size rope. In 1742, breeching cables were actually enlarged. I am in the process of redoing all of the breeching lines. I am using 1.3mm vs the original 2mm. At 1:30 scale, the 1.3mm makes the breeching lines approx. 1.5 inches thick. As far as the black color I used around the carriage wheels---I wanted to only emulate details as shown on some real cannons. They are NOT meant to reflect any type of metal band because you are correct, they would have caused enormous damage to a ships deck. As far as actual rope sizes/dimensions, there was usually no difference between a 6 pound gun & a 4 pound gun (see actual pre 1742 chart).

images.jpeg

england-hampshire-portsmouth-portsmouth-historic-dockyard-hms-victory-HAD90N.jpg

Breech.jpg.64b67c799b690ef09e7f444b646a7b32.jpg

canon-and-rope-on-the-deck-of-the-grand-turk-docked-in-whitby-north-A0FA8H.jpg

cannons-on-the-deck-of-the-grand-turk-ship-berthed-at-the-end-of-southend-ACMCKR.jpg

be6700f0c849529c9d465f7f7a0ac0e7--ships.jpg

1845302196_cannonriggingdata.jpg.58053afc24e3c8d5738591435935c525.jpg

20240209_223828.jpg

20240209_223840.jpg

20240209_235849.jpg

Superbly detailed information and lots to learn when two modelers of the caliber of you and @janos Janos exchange ideas. The thinner breeching lines certainly look more in proportion - beautiful work, my friend.

Hello everyone,
My name is Rick & I have been a model ship builder for approx 45 years. My intent for this build log is to help other builders ( & Future Builders) of this kit with all the Good, Bad & the Ugly nuances that I have come across during the construction . This particular kit is definitely not for the beginner or even the intermediate builder because there are many frustrating aspects of this kit that would leave many of builds put away into ones closet or worse-putting the kit on Ebay!!!!!!! I am not going to non-stop bash this kit, because there are a lot of Great things about the kit as well but I merely want to bring out things that will & can lead one astray and cause a lot of frustration, tears & PAIN (LOL) as some of the other builders , such as Maarten can contest too!!! I have posted just a few pics and I will post many more because I am much farther along then the pictures show. I will attempt to stay in order of chronological build steps and gladly answer any questions some may have. I won't get into to much technique type pictures unless requested because I believe every model ship builder has their own unique build style and I am not one to say your doing something wrong just because you build differently than myself!!!
To me, building a model ship, especially a expensive one such as this, should not be a race against time but rather a chance to slow my hectic life down a notch & enjoy this kit & I like to challenge myself to attempt to create a piece of Art that can be enjoyed by many for years to come!
I will keep my introduction short and from this point on, I will start to post build pics and items used and issues that have come up & look forward to talking to you all--Rick

View attachment 234026View attachment 234027View attachment 234029View attachment 234030View attachment 234032View attachment 234034View attachment 234035View attachment 234036View attachment 234037View attachment 234038View attachment 234040View attachment 234041
Hi Ric, sorry I called you Ric, I ask:in the Kit what design is construction?Thanks . Frank

WIP---

View attachment 425169

View attachment 425170

View attachment 425171

View attachment 425172

View attachment 425173

View attachment 425174

View attachment 425175

View attachment 425176

View attachment 425177
Sorry, this detail of the "pissdales" are from Kit or from YOUR initiative?Strange that I can't see them on the original plans, Thanks for YOUR feedback.Frank

post-3035-0-94478700-1375620465.jpg

Sorry, this detail of the "pissdales" are from Kit or from YOUR initiative?Strange that I can't see them on the original plans, Thanks for YOUR feedback.Frank

View attachment 429071
I added these to the model because the real ship would certainly most likely have these in order to support the large number of crew aboard. I am not aware of any kit manufacturer that include any pissdales. No one is really sure as to why but historians believe it could be to the stigma of showing any type of urinals and the uncleanness of such?????

Last edited:
WIP---
Hello everyone. Some pics showing the work status of the two Pissdales & Ladders. Still in the set-in stage and finalizing.
More to come...............................................................

View attachment 428901

View attachment 428902

View attachment 428903

View attachment 428904

View attachment 428905

View attachment 428906

View attachment 428907

View attachment 428908

View attachment 428909

View attachment 428910

View attachment 428911

View attachment 428912
Very nice Rick.
Maybe not on the drawings but a great addition. Think I keep it in mind for mine also.

Back