1/48 scale Launch, plank on frame, by neptune

Continuation of the build, but first I had a little set back, I've had an attack of what is called Bell's Palsy, it has the same effects as a stroke but only on the face, it attacked all the nerves on my left side of the face, so i cannot close my left eye and when i smile only my right half of the mouth smiles, see first pic, anyway on with the build,
46438411_1001811940011302_3268429975786618880_n.jpg

119.jpg
The capping rails now glued on one of the launches,

120.jpg
And a view where I had glued on support planks for the cant frames, this is after the support planks have
been removed,

121.jpg
A couple of close up pics,

122.jpg
and agaoin,

124.jpg
view of the bottom of the launch,

125.jpg
A close up view of the transom supports,

126.jpg
and the bow capping support,

128.jpg
The starboard side first plank in place with the port side one in the front of the pic,

129.jpg
another view after the port side plank has had it curve put on with the Amati plank bender, the manual one,

130.jpg
showing after the fifth plank has been glued in place,

131.jpg
and after a light wipe over with a damp cloth, there will be some sanding and a bit of filling to do,

G'day its me again, the one eyed bilge rat,

132.jpg
Getting ready to close up the last few planks,

133.jpg
small clamps holding the last planks while the glue sets,

134.jpg
The Pinnace and the two launches, i had a little bit of trouble with the launches, some of the planking was very
brittle and the grain was going across the planks in places, I thought I was going to have to paint them, but i
think they look OK, so will wait and see what they look like when the varnish is dry,

135.jpg
Another view, i had to use a little bit of filler on the plank ends,

136.jpg
There was a piece of veneer that went on the transom of the pinnace, but nothing for the launches, there is some
scrap veneer that I will cut the transoms out of just to keep them matching,

137.jpg
Both oars have had the curve put on the blade, the top oar has had the handle rounded,

138.jpg
All the oars now shaped,

139.jpg
another view,

140.jpg
and with the reinforcing bands on the ends,

141.jpg
The three finished boats, they are not as light coloured as this it is just the flash making them look like it,

142.jpg
And the finished oars, just have to attach the rudders and fittings, then that is it,

Thank you Maarten I see the doctor tomorrow, well I see him with one eye, I'm hoping I can take the bandage off the other, its like a mini stroke that has paralyzed the left half of my face, its called Bell's Palsy, but it doesn't affect the rest of your body,

Thank you Maarten I see the doctor tomorrow, well I see him with one eye, I'm hoping I can take the bandage off the other, its like a mini stroke that has paralyzed the left half of my face, its called Bell's Palsy, but it doesn't affect the rest of your body,
Hope he has good news for you. I will cross my fingers for you.

Very nice job John ,I hope you get well soon ,you are a strong men,is this condition reversible?

Thanks guys for all the messages of support, the Doctor says that I can leave the tape off during the day but to keep it taped shut at night time, and seeing as Iwent quickly to the hospital, it will go back to normal in a month or so, thanks again for all the comments and likes, they are much appreciated, they help me keep charged,

best regards John.

Back