118 Gun French three-decker - Le Commerce de Marseille / L'Ocean - scale 1:72

I'm searching for material for masts and yards, could beechwood or oak dowels be ok? I know the're described as flaky but maybe it can be strong enough for such purpose. I also have some maple but due to it's liitle quantity in comparision to oak I would like to save it for something else

Last edited:
although in scale 1:72 she is a big ship - imagine the same in 1:48 -> you would nee a new sideboard ;)

Maybe, some day... I will have it in 1/48. It will be mine, my precious.;)
I would have to make some rearregments in room. It's possible,but besides of that bending 6mm or 4mm planks effectively scares me off

Finally gun ports are finished. Next in line are windows in officers part and knee of the head. I don't know how long it'll take to do it so I post this update now.

There's also new curtain to soften flowers on wallpaper. Is this new background better then the old one?
DSC_0395.JPG
DSC_0396.JPG

Added another material to cover right part of wall, but now it's with artificial light. Unfortunately I don't have such beautiful sunlight as @CRI-CRI

If I had a workshop at least I could show some working mess:).Unluckily for me everthing is done in my room besides cutting which makes a lots of dust that I do in my garden

DSC_0397.JPG

Following Kurt's example I've made the knee of the head out of one piece and cut lines that fake real elements. Only the visible ones.

The farther I go down the rabbit hole the more respect I have for other members. This is really hard and beautiful work at the same time(not mine:))
DSC_0399.JPG
DSC_0400.JPG

First part of the keel with the knee of the head
DSC_0402.JPG

Last edited:
I should explain mysel why I haven't posted anything on Royal Luis. First one is lack of time other is gathering resources for this project. I really shoundn't start it as a first build but watching what @GrantTyler is doing with his Victory made me want to try it any way.

There is no way I could build whole hull from scratch so I oredered one from @SZKUTNIK. I think it'll be first build log of 3d printed hull because I haven't found any other on internet.
I still need couple of tools but I will start building in june/july so this is no problem.

I haven't decided if it will be Le Commerce de Marseille/L'Ocean. It all depends on my carving skills or depth of wallet.:rolleyes:

Wood that I already have
Pear (a lot)
Veneer pear 2mm
Veneer cherry 2mm
Veneer maple 1mm+0,6mm

Planset vs Le glorieux 1/150(Royal Louis 1/200 is even smaller)
Hull compared to Heller's Victory 1/100
Pear
Pear+cheery(middle one)
2mm Pear cut to 2mm strips
Mapl
Thus see you all in june:)
Hallo @WojtasS
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I can always buy some models, but I'm afraid life will suck out of me free time and years when I still have will power to do them.:rolleyes:... Anyway. It's only my black sighting;)

There's been a little break from work, So far I'm waiting for a new table saw because I'm not able to make repetitive strips and planks thinner then 3mm
But it doesn't matter because I can take on something else. I've started doing cannons for lower deck. I always saw wooden ones as only a pattern for molds, but when I was scrolling Pinterest I saw I thread about Victory where a modeler replaced some of the kit canons with wooden ones.

So this are my first ones only to test how it could look. I still need to work on some deatails.

Made on lathe from 10mm dowel. The widest point is 8,5mm

Left canon is stained+linseed oil, middle is painted with revell aqua color 302+linseed oil.
The grain is visible with eyes but photos exaggerate it -very

Pros:
-cheap material
Cons:
-Very time consuming
-Can't make every one equal

Are resin casts harder to make?

What do you think are wood canons inappropriate or is it just personal choice?

DSC_0471.JPG
DSC_0473.JPG
DSC_0475.JPG

Last edited:
Back