118 Gun French three-decker - Le Commerce de Marseille / L'Ocean - scale 1:72

Here is the english version of the book

english - "folding lip"

View attachment 336227
View attachment 336228
Thanks. Very interesting book,but at that price I would rather have some monograph

A small update

I've made a cover layer of veneer for side galleries. I didn't follow plans so stricly because it'll be covered by windows and columns ,so it's only purpose is to cover plastic
There's also a new temporary stand/ building slip that I did with my dad. Construction is as simple as it can be but serves it's purpose very good

DSC_0498.JPG
Stain leaves better structure of wood, but I didn't like that color. With acrylic paint details are only a little flooded, but all imperfections from glue or gaps are much better covered

Before painting with vallejo acrylic paint.
DSC_0502.JPG
DSC_0504.JPG

First things first.
I finally decided to finish him just a french 118-gs. 3d resigns of ornaments and decorations cost and I don't want to waste on ship that will have many mistakes.

To the more pleasant things. This's for me a big step. I was afraid I would struggle with it and nothing would come out, so instead of traditional planking I decided to make only one side to check what I can run into. Fortunately I menaged to do sth that I will not burn with shame. It's not the best or prettiest but it IS and I'm happy.
DSC_0517.JPG
DSC_0512.JPGDSC_0516.JPGDSC_0515.JPGDSC_0513.JPG

Thank you. Yes L'Ocean are very beatifull ships. I couldn't pass the tutorial in Naval Action but the game is very fun unfortunetly for I can only see it on gameplays. I playd a lot Sid Meier's Pirates and Age of Pirates very fun games

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes L'Ocean are very beatifull ships. I couldn't pass the tutorial in Naval Action but the game is very fun unfortunetly for I can only see it on gamaplays. I playd a lot Sid Meier's Pirates and Age of Pirates very fun games
Ah, fun games indeed! Yeah Naval Action died in the water after the community-ignoring devs made stupid updates, so many veterans aren't playing.
I would LOVE for Ocean model to be released! I certainly do not possess neither your skills or patience to make my own, so very much enjoying this one coming along.
Design-wise (and not to bash any ships), the Ocean proved that simply adding the max possible guns does not equate to success. If it wasn't for certain factors, Napoléon would have produced the Ocean en-masse. Well, possibly.

I would LOVE for Ocean model to be released! I certainly do not possess neither your skills or patience to make my own, so very much enjoying this one coming along.
Design-wise (and not to bash any ships), the Ocean proved that simply adding the max possible guns does not equate to success. If it wasn't for certain factors, Napoléon would have produced the Ocean en-masse. Well, possibly.
There was a three decker but it was a Bretagne from Altaya- no longer continued. I think it was the Spanish tried to put max guns on deck - Santisima Trinidad had 140 so 118 seems reasoneble. I read somhwhere the English were really surprised how well those french floating fortreses handled. The 74-gs were mass produced(in comparision to 118's) the still had the fire power but much more turning capabilities

Last edited:
Little update on port(left-reminder for me) side of ship.

I've made a big mistake with fitment of planks, but I think it won't be so visible. I read somewhere that dust from the same wood as plank mixed with wood glue can work as a putty.So here's my attempt. Luckily as a noobie I can afford making such mistakes:)

DSC_0519.JPG
DSC_0520.JPG
DSC_0521.JPG

Other side also completed. Now I have to make the planks below the water line
20221226_103659_104057.jpg
20221226_103810_104148.jpg
20221226_103921_104227.jpg

@Wander
I found the fragment about Englishman appreciating the manuvering capiblities of Le Commerce De Marseille. I wasn't sure where I read it, but here it is. Booklet to monograph from Ancre
20221226_104818_105021 — kopia.jpg

To start planking first I have to add some parts to stern, finish keel etc. I still have some problems with understanding how to put measurements from plans to hull. In the worst scenario I just do them better in the next ship.

I've run out of paint, so there's no "black swan"(for now;))
DSC_0527.JPG
DSC_0528.JPG

First huge mistake. This planks should be little longer. Unfortunately this doesn't qualify to re-do I have to come up with some solution.
DSC_0528 — kopia.JPG

Nice stern! LOS! 63 special on french navythrough the revolution and consulat has 3d views of "le commerce de marseille", they use it to show the anatomy of a french 1st rate ship. The cover uses "L'ocean".
los-n63.jpg

Nice stern! LOS! 63 special on french navythrough the revolution and consulat has 3d views of "le commerce de marseille", they use it to show the anatomy of a french 1st rate ship. The cover uses "L'ocean".
los-n63.jpg
Do you have some pictures from inside of magazine?
Or is it the same work of Bernard Huc?

Little update on planking.
There was a one day with really beautiful sun shine. So you can see her in true colors
DSC_0531_1.JPG
DSC_0530-1.jpg

As I have only 1-2h a day+weekend could I consider this a reasonable progress?
DSC_0532.JPG
DSC_0534.JPG
Instead of nice smooth curve I managed to to do a bump. Somehow on both sidesROTF. Is there a way to fix this or it goes to mistakes list?
DSC_0533-1.jpg

Back