118 Gun French three-decker - Le Commerce de Marseille / L'Ocean - scale 1:72

I wanted to use a putty as a last resort. Maybe someone will have other idea
another way would be lifting the planks, IMHO. Carefully lift by prying the plank then you can put some wood filling, and put the planks back. Or you may replace those few planks all together.

another way would be lifting the planks, IMHO. Carefully lift by prying the plank then you can put some wood filling, and put the planks back. Or you may replace those few planks all together.
Thanks for the tip. I don't think removing any planks is an option. They are preety much cemented. I'll try to fix it somehow, but thanks anyway

I haven't posted anything recentyl. Only managed to admire other people's wonderful work.
Here goes my update on planking. Difficulty of fiting planks rising, but I don't give up:)

20230205_111205.jpg
20230205_111226.jpg

I'm thinking of painting/staining or walnut venner a a finish layer
20230205_111325.jpg

Bon courage, as les Amis Français often say! The planking looks great!
Thank you. Unfortunetly other side is not that great. I didn't menage to fix that mistake which I mentioned earlier in posts and it keeps continuing. I'm afraid it can only be fixed with putty

Looking great. The run of planks is very gentle and pleasing to the eye. Apologies if already stated, but I'm assuming you are using CA? If so, medium viscosity?

Kris' printed hull foundation and your construction skills, you two have collaborated to create a new innovated approach to ship modelling.

KUDOS to you both!

Thank you for appreciation.

Yes medium CA 100g already used and starting a new bottle.
This hull is very forgiving in mistakes. Even if I bend or fit a plank not 100% in right way I can file down to it's shape and it still holds ship betifull lines.

I didn't mention that before, below last wale I use a maplewood and I've almost cut down a 111x24x0,18cm plank. So such project is very wood consuming.

Last edited:
Today is THE DAY. Planking is finished:D

There will be no further layer of walnut veneer. First of all, this one is already so matched that adding even 0.5mm will be visible and won't match in thickness with the lower Wales. And secondly, it's doing the same thing all over again: NO NO NO and again NO. My mental endurance will not stand it. What's too much is not healthy:)

As you can see on reversed bottom some planks didn't line very well, but the shape of hull still remained the same.

Overall impressions of working with 3d hull. It's very pleasant to work with. With no experiance I was able to shape it much better then if I were to start some baisic POB kit. It's something weird to say,but the hull forces you to make it the right way. I bet if you have some(any) experience in wood ship modeling the results would be much better. Despite some small bumps and other mistakes I'm very pleased with results

K1.jpg
K2.jpgK3.jpgK4.jpgK5.jpgK6.jpg

14.04.2023 Update

Water line is done. The knee of the head- re-do. With maple wood I could make cuts much deeper which resulted in better lines.
There's also anchor prtoections. Is this correct name? I'm not sure if they should be black. On Le Bretagne and one of the L'Ocean the're black, but on paintings and other models they're yellow. I decided to stay with Naval Action game like look.

As for the underwater part. It was all an big experiment and I wasn't quite sure if It'll be a succesfull one, so there aren't photos of this process. Sorry
Firts I tought acrylic paints can be a good option to start with. They worked before, what can go wrong...ROTF I made some samples, choose the color that suits best, but on model things weren't all that wonderful. I had to scrape everything down to zero. In places with putty or glue mixed with wood dust it was impossible to do. Next step chestnut stain to brighten the hull before palisander stain. I'm leaving the jugment how it finally looks to you. I know it has shortcomings and mistakes, but I'm already drawing conclusions.

Same story with anchor protection they'll be better in next model. As I said in first post this is completly new to me and I treat this model as a big experiment and a play ground.

K7.jpg
K8.jpg
K10.jpg
K9.jpg

The knee of the head after and before
K11+.jpg
DSC_0402.JPG

Back