18 Inch Sharpie

Do your plans show shrouds to hold mast upright?

My small sail craft has line from front bottom of boom to deck to keep boom down and taught. It also has line to control swing of aft end of boom. The aft end of sail should have line going out to end of boom and coming forward to cleat on side of boom to pull sail back on boom.
I did not see any shrouds on the plans nor on the photo of the boat. I had also thought that maybe shrouds were needed but could not find any. It just appears to be a simple little backyard boat with great lines and easy to build and sail.

Thanks for the comments. I should have mentioned that I am planning of displaying it with the sails furled. By doing so the boom has nothing to hold it up, therefore, the boom rest. I may change my mind in the next day or so but am strongly leaning toward furled sail.
Furled saves on sail making but takes some care to show it properly and tightly done. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks for the comments. I should have mentioned that I am planning of displaying it with the sails furled. By doing so the boom has nothing to hold it up, therefore, the boom rest. I may change my mind in the next day or so but am strongly leaning toward furled sail.
Looking at the photo and the boom is connected right at the mast deck level, I would thing that the boom would have been just placed on the after deck and tied down, not elevated. Just wondering. Rich (PT-2)

Looking at the photo and the boom is connected right at the mast deck level, I would thing that the boom would have been just placed on the after deck and tied down, not elevated. Just wondering. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks for your replies. Both good points to consider. My thoughts on sails have been that you display a model in three ways, no sails, billowed sails or furled sails. These three sort of fit the way ships are seen. Without sails says the ship is in for repairs and the sails are stowed away for safe keeping. With sails says the ship is under way and making good headway. With furled sails the ship is tied up to the dock. That to me takes in tall ships as well as smaller ones such as Smacks, Sharpies and Catboats. I have built some Catboats with sails and some with furled sails but none without sails. I don't know why just did. Smacks that I've built have in most cases been without the sails because I like the nice clean lines and presentation without sails.

I'm still working on the sails for the Sharpie and am still leaning towards using the boom rest. I could tie the boom down to the deck but not sure of the appearance. But, I'll give it a try just to see.

Rolling up furled sails attached to a yard is rather easy, attach them and roll up. However, it is not as easy to roll them up when you have mast rings to consider. I'll just get them as tight as I can and see how it looks. Hope to be finished in a couple of days.

Its time to wrap it up. I went with the furled sail and I think it turned out okay. I like the nice clean appearance of the boat with the sails down. If the sail was displayed to be up, it would dominate the boat. Anyway, the rigging was simple just the one line to raise and lower the sail and the line on the boom to swing the sail out to catch the wind. One block was used and installed on the deck. I'm going to call this build as complete. It was a nice simple little fill in project that will provide some rest and recuperation from a big build. Here are the completed photos.

1607698381293.png

1607698430381.png

1607698475139.png

1607698509392.png

Nice outcome but I would like to share some history and
Thanks Kkonrath. We are both fans of these little boats as well as the bigger ones.
actual practice that we seldom used (furling onto the boom. . . most times removed unless very short) We would lower the main sail about half way and then begin ROLLING it over gathering up the upper portion at the same time gathering in the lower portion into a smooth roll which ended up on top of the boom with very little of the peak standing upwards on the back mast track. It would then be secured in place with a few bungie cords. We wanted to keep the sail a smooth and wrinkle free as possible. There was a similar manner in rolling with only a half or third fold when it was rolled to put into the sail bag. Only spinnakers were stuffed into their own bags. Just a though about furling a sail like that. The sharpie looks well done otherwise and would be a lot of fun to sail. . . with a couple of bailing scoops (old milk jugs with handles) ready for the crew foreward who would get most of the spray in rougher and faster conditions. Rich (PT-2)

If you have sailed in small boats or gone fishing is small shallow draft boats you may have used the bailing scoop for other purposes, or as an old camper told the young scouts, its the dew collector.

One old joke from Louisiana where I spent many years in the Air Force: we had a local DJ for radio station who was former military and came from the NE, one day he was reading promo add for local event, the Colfax Pecan Festival, being a "Northerner" he pronounced Pecan as Pee Can, down south its pronounced pa con, so he gets a call from a listener who says, "we know your a damn yankee from up north, so we can forgive your pronouncing of the word. We call them pa cons, and its different from a pee can, is what pappy keeps in front of the boat for collecting fluids for dumping."

Many locals got a real kick out it when he aired the call and apologized for improper grammar.

actual practice that we seldom used (furling onto the boom. . . most times removed unless very short) We would lower the main sail about half way and then begin ROLLING it over gathering up the upper portion at the same time gathering in the lower portion into a smooth roll which ended up on top of the boom with very little of the peak standing upwards on the back mast track. It would then be secured in place with a few bungie cords. We wanted to keep the sail a smooth and wrinkle free as possible. There was a similar manner in rolling with only a half or third fold when it was rolled to put into the sail bag. Only spinnakers were stuffed into their own bags. Just a though about furling a sail like that. The sharpie looks well done otherwise and would be a lot of fun to sail. . . with a couple of bailing scoops (old milk jugs with handles) ready for the crew forward who would get most of the spray in rougher and faster conditions. Rich (PT-2)
When sailing with BSA Venturing Sea Scouts, we had a few medium ships, 22-25' length, single mast and boom, where we lowered mail sail as you mentioned and then pulled up cover from bottom of boom and snapped halves together over sail for storage between uses.

Neat, simple and quick way to secure the main sail for a few days till next use. Jibs, were either removed or rolled if a "roller/furler" unit was installed. Very easy to just pull rope roll it up for storage.

actual practice that we seldom used (furling onto the boom. . . most times removed unless very short) We would lower the main sail about half way and then begin ROLLING it over gathering up the upper portion at the same time gathering in the lower portion into a smooth roll which ended up on top of the boom with very little of the peak standing upwards on the back mast track. It would then be secured in place with a few bungie cords. We wanted to keep the sail a smooth and wrinkle free as possible. There was a similar manner in rolling with only a half or third fold when it was rolled to put into the sail bag. Only spinnakers were stuffed into their own bags. Just a though about furling a sail like that. The sharpie looks well done otherwise and would be a lot of fun to sail. . . with a couple of bailing scoops (old milk jugs with handles) ready for the crew foreward who would get most of the spray in rougher and faster conditions. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks for the info. Not being a sailor has its drawbacks when building models boats and ships. Always good to learn new things.

If you have sailed in small boats or gone fishing is small shallow draft boats you may have used the bailing scoop for other purposes, or as an old camper told the young scouts, its the dew collector.

One old joke from Louisiana where I spent many years in the Air Force: we had a local DJ for radio station who was former military and came from the NE, one day he was reading promo add for local event, the Colfax Pecan Festival, being a "Northerner" he pronounced Pecan as Pee Can, down south its pronounced pa con, so he gets a call from a listener who says, "we know your a damn yankee from up north, so we can forgive your pronouncing of the word. We call them pa cons, and its different from a pee can, is what pappy keeps in front of the boat for collecting fluids for dumping."

Many locals got a real kick out it when he aired the call and apologized for improper grammar.
Thanks for the info. We always used pa con as far as I can remember. We just peed over the side of the boat when out fishing. Spent 23 years in the air force.

Model Ship Builder has a "Projects" section, with plans and practicums for modeling projects. We should start that here! This little Sharpie would be a perfect subject with plans and instructions rolled into one .pdf file. Other projects to come later. Admins: Your thoughts??

A question, Pawley: What plan did you use for the stem? Was it the stem drawing in the magazine plans?
Doc, I used a two part stem, an inner and outer stem. The inner was a piece of 1\4 x 1\4 as needed down to create a triangle. It was glued in and then the outer was glued on and sanded down. Hope that helps.

Back