18 Inch Sharpie

Model Ship Builder has a "Projects" section, with plans and practicums for modeling projects. We should start that here! This little Sharpie would be a perfect subject with plans and instructions rolled into one .pdf file. Other projects to come later. Admins: Your thoughts??
Doc, I often make a PDF document after a build to document how I did the model. Here are two of the documents. Is this perhaps what you are referring to?

Attachments

• Lobster Smack-2.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
  • Rice Plantation Barge.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Exactly. But with the plans included, so one can scratch build the model based on just the .pdf. Here is Jeff Staudt's .pdf for the 17th Century Battle Station that three of us produced as a limited edition "kit".

Attachments

• Battle Station Practicum - 1-32 Practicum (2).pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
Exactly. But with the plans included, so one can scratch build the model based on just the .pdf. Here is Jeff Staudt's .pdf for the 17th Century Battle Station that three of us produced as a limited edition "kit".
I'm aware of the battle station. It is on my soon to do list. Good project. I am willing to work on any projects of this nature. Just let me know. I'm working on the Sharpie now.

Doc too back more battle station kits weren't made for others! I know they can't be sold for profit, but maybe a SoS fund raiser project to help out Donnie with costs.

Doc too back more battle station kits weren't made for others! I know they can't be sold for profit, but maybe a SoS fund raiser project to help out Donnie with costs.
Even as a fundraiser there would be copyright issues. Model Ship Builder offers the Battle Station as a kit already: http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?131

The Blandford cross section is possible as a fundraiser. I'm wondering what price people would be willing to pay for a kit using quality woods in 1:32 scale?

Sorry to hijack this thread, Pawley! Anxiously awaiting your .pdf on the Sharpie! Maybe admin. can move this part of the thread out of here!

Even as a fundraiser there would be copyright issues. Model Ship Builder offers the Battle Station as a kit already: http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?131

The Blandford cross section is possible as a fundraiser. I'm wondering what price people would be willing to pay for a kit using quality woods in 1:32 scale?

Sorry to hijack this thread, Pawley! Anxiously awaiting your .pdf on the Sharpie! Maybe admin. can move this part of the thread out of here!
Working on it but holidays will probably interfere. I'll keep you posted.

Hope you get a chance to work on the plans/practicum .pdf soon! I’ll volunteer to build a prototype from your plans!

Administrators: Could we set up a “Projects” section here at SOS that provides plans and practicums for various models and other projects? Similar to the section over at Model Ship Builder.

Last edited:
Hope you get a chance to work on the plans/practicum .pdf soon! I’ll volunteer to build a prototype from your plans!

Administrators: Could we set up a “Projects” section here at SOS that provides plans and practicums for various models and other projects? Similar to the section over at Model Ship Builder.
Merry Christmas Doc. I've done some work and will progress as soon as holidays are behind me.

Any progress on the plans/practicum? I'd love to prototype her!
Doc, I've got to build another Sharpie before completing the plans/practicum. I'm in that process now but going slow due to temperature in the workshop. Yep it is cold in South Carolina. At least it is cold for us living here.

Its time to wrap it up. I went with the furled sail and I think it turned out okay. I like the nice clean appearance of the boat with the sails down. If the sail was displayed to be up, it would dominate the boat. Anyway, the rigging was simple just the one line to raise and lower the sail and the line on the boom to swing the sail out to catch the wind. One block was used and installed on the deck. I'm going to call this build as complete. It was a nice simple little fill in project that will provide some rest and recuperation from a big build. Here are the completed photos.

View attachment 198212

View attachment 198213

View attachment 198215

View attachment 198216

Long time ago I built one of this beauties.
Yours is fenomenal.

Its time to wrap it up. I went with the furled sail and I think it turned out okay. I like the nice clean appearance of the boat with the sails down. If the sail was displayed to be up, it would dominate the boat. Anyway, the rigging was simple just the one line to raise and lower the sail and the line on the boom to swing the sail out to catch the wind. One block was used and installed on the deck. I'm going to call this build as complete. It was a nice simple little fill in project that will provide some rest and recuperation from a big build. Here are the completed photos.

View attachment 198212

View attachment 198213

View attachment 198215

View attachment 198216
Well made and ready to hit the water. That would be a fun dinghy to single hand but hiking out over the gunnl's in a good breeze on a beam reach would be a pain in the butt. ;-) Rich an old round the bouys dinghy racer.

Hey Bill!

Any update on the plans/practicum? I may need a break from my Granado!
Hey Doc

I've just been to the workshop for the second time this week. The weather has warmed up somewhat but Honey Dos have also kept me busy. I just finished gluing the chines and ribs onto the sideboards. Need to let glue dry. I've got some photos to download and once that is done I can do some more writing.

It is coming along but is a slow process.

Bill

Back