18th Century 42 pound Carronade

Hello everyone.

After perusing various forums and websites, I have decided to build “The Smasher” by Jeff Staudt as my first ‘ship’ model. This is a small display of a 42-pound carronade on a deck that was used from the late-1700’s until the mid-1800’s.

42 pounder carronade - The Smasher

I will build the model from various wood I have on hand; which consists of Red Oak, dark and light Walnut, Mahogany, Brazilian Cherry (leftover flooring), Poplar, Basswood, White Pine and some small pieces of Ebony (old piano keys). For the Upper rail (gunnel) and the wales I will use dark Walnut, for the framing white pine, the carronade structure red oak, the outer walls light walnut, inner walls I’ll use basswood because I have the thin strips in size required (it’s difficult to rip 1/16-inch-thick reliably on the table saw). For the decking I was thinking of using either mahogany or poplar. For that rest of the bits I’ll be using whatever brass or steel I have in the scrap bin. I’ll probably 3d print the cannon barrel and a few other bits.

I will be drawing the model up in cad first to get a good understanding of the construction.

If anybody has any suggestions or criticisms as the build progresses, please send them my way… all will be appreciated.

Ken
smasher.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Since I changed the base from a slab to a framework similar to how the ships are built. How was the frame work constructed back in the day. Did they use iron bolts or wood pegs. If they used bolts does anyone know the approximate size that was used? I might as well add that detail while I'm at it.

thanks
Ken

Watching this with interest. I’ve always liked these plans. Our own Mike Roher (Mike41) built a beautiful version of this model, pictured with Jeff’s plans!

It’s a shame to go to all that trouble to frame the deck and then cover it all with deck planks! Maybe two Carronades with some unplanked deck between them?

Deck planking and hull/bulwark planking would have been fixed with treenails. About 1-1/2" scale diameter for a ship of the line or a hair smaller. Knees and deck beams would be bolted together. The bolts anywhere from 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" in diameter. The bolt heads (the part seen) would be larger. Carlings would be fixed to the beams by nails from the underside.

A great resource for construction details like these is: Peter Goodwin's "The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War. 1650 - 1850".

Back