18th Century Longboat 1750-1760 Model Shipways 1/48

I am having problems understanding what they want me to do with the bowsprit. It says place a sheave at the end but I do not understand what they mean. This is where I am at. Does anyone have a close up picture of theirs so I can understand what I am supposed to do?

20220806_154931.jpg

A bowsprit sheave looks like this:
1659816241500.png
The roller inside that slot is called a sheave.

I believe it's used for the forestay when using your boat as a cutter, that is, rigged for a staysail near the bow and the other sails rigged as below.
1659816356379.png

Take a look at how this old cutter above is rigged. This is a classic cutter.

Thank you very much. I now understand what it's purpose is. I was hoping someone who has completed the model could post a close up picture of the end of the bowsprit so I could understand what the instructions are trying to say. I'm starting to think I just need to drill a hole at the end of the bowsprit to pass the line through.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That is what I needed. Now I can move forward.

Hello, After finishing my Grand Banks Dory I decided to try the 18th Century Longboat. I already have questions. The instructions mention attaching the false keel to the keel and stem after creating the bearding line. However they do not mention if you need to glue the two stem pieces together and the two keel pieces together. There are two parts for each and the picture looks like you only use one. The pieces all come from two sheets that are 3/32 thick. I looked at the build log below and it is the same kit number MS1457, but looks like a different printing as his box sheet is different from mine. His build log shows pictures where he used two parts for the keel and stem. So, I'm confused, any help would be appreciated.

Dave

*Masters Mate's Build log link*

View attachment 233840View attachment 233841
Hallo Dave alias @dpeno
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

It's been about Six years since I last did a midway model rowboat. I just picked up this model. It's going to be a challenge.

I just started mine. I've seen some good articles on beard lines to the point I may put it back in the box. So what's everyone's opinion on the double stem keel adaption?

I just started mine. I've seen some good articles on beard lines to the point I may put it back in the box. So what's everyone's opinion on the double stem keel adaption?
I did it by mistake. It's wrong
There are many duplicate parts in the kit and you just have to read ahead in the instructions all the time to make sure you are on the right track.
It was my first kit and a great teacher.
Have fun

Back