1930 Bentley Blower by Aifix 1/12 build log

The trolley is completed. Here are some pictures with the tub on it.

And the real one

Screenshot_20240310_224834_Photos.jpg.f22129babb0ad01d76d1feeaa9dd5680.jpg

Screenshot_20240310_224703_Photos.jpg.29706f248b3f2c540a4ed6616c129cf9.jpg

While looking at the photo's of your model I became aware of the engine running....until I looked out the window.
There was a truck making a delivery across the road :)

I started modeling the display case. My idea would be to inbed a miror in a simulated concrete base on which there would be a steel structure (really plastic not steel). The structure would have H columns at each corner and 4 angle iron framed plexiglas panels with a bunch of rivets holding the panels in place. I would like to incorporate trusses and working shop lights. I'm thinking of overlaying the rear plexiglas panel with a translucide image of the real car, not sure how that could be done. There would be a control panel mounted on the outside of the display case that would control the shop lights, head lights and motor. Back in the 50's, my father, who was a draftman back then, would make scale models of water piping layout for a company called Canadair (it later became Bombardier aeronautic). I still have a box full of miniature Britannia water valves that he gave me when I was just a kid and that I never used. I would like to incorporate them in the display case some how, maybe a few water lines ? Here are a few screen shots of the display case so far. Not nearly there yet but it give the general idea.

PRESENTATION3.jpg.6ba52774ecf61c466a1f77f455a73489.jpg

PRESENTATION2.jpg.84c114049d49e87f735b42c4646eea20.jpg

PRESENTATION1.jpg.b8746d764a33c1a9d04bdc1adc8c14e6.jpg

I started modeling the display case. My idea would be to inbed a miror in a simulated concrete base on which there would be a steel structure (really plastic not steel). The structure would have H columns at each corner and 4 angle iron framed plexiglas panels with a bunch of rivets holding the panels in place. I would like to incorporate trusses and working shop lights. I'm thinking of overlaying the rear plexiglas panel with a translucide image of the real car, not sure how that could be done. There would be a control panel mounted on the outside of the display case that would control the shop lights, head lights and motor. Back in the 50's, my father, who was a draftman back then, would make scale models of water piping layout for a company called Canadair (it later became Bombardier aeronautic). I still have a box full of miniature Britannia water valves that he gave me when I was just a kid and that I never used. I would like to incorporate them in the display case some how, maybe a few water lines ? Here are a few screen shots of the display case so far. Not nearly there yet but it give the general idea.

PRESENTATION3.jpg.6ba52774ecf61c466a1f77f455a73489.jpg

PRESENTATION2.jpg.84c114049d49e87f735b42c4646eea20.jpg

PRESENTATION1.jpg.b8746d764a33c1a9d04bdc1adc8c14e6.jpg
That is a very beautiful show case, François. With a nice reflection that also show the underside.
Regards, Peter

That is absolutely fabulous ! I like your idea of putting some "water pipes up in the ceiling girders and put in a line that is red for fire suppression. :)
Working shop lights would be a wonderful addition !

Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Working shop lights and color coded water pipes is the plan. These color codes were not introduced before the 70's. But since the ref car is a new 'old' build, it might not really matter. I could represent an old shop that has been refurbished. I remember seeing pictures of the shop models my father made and the majority of the pipes were clear plexiglas, some were green and some orange. None were red which is the color for water and being a model of an airplane fabrication plant, there would certainly have been multiple water lines.
Here's a picture of the valves he used back then to make his models.
20240317_113114.jpg
20240317_113143.jpg
He passed away last August so I see this as a sort of hommage to what he did and what he taugh me. He would have beed 96 march 16.
Fun fact, one of my first summer job as a student back in the early 80's was to do a survey of the same pipe works that my father had modeled some 30 plus years earlier. They had been color coded by then.

Last edited:
WOW - I love this model and also the showcase - great idea with this steel roof structure

Beautifully done.
As far as using black - and with a black car, to me would take the observer's eye off the car somewhat. Shops that I have either worked in (GE manufacturing worldwide) or visited for some reason usually have the supports the same color as the wall or painted a deep red, usually a protective red lead or similar protective paint but have never seen (or noticed) black

Thanks Dave, I did think of oxyde red (ordinary primer). The idea with the black and red pipes was to match the theme colors of the car. In my view, the display case should be an integral part of the total set up and l would like it to be looked at as much as the car itself. Nevertheless, I'lI try the red oxyde on the 3d model and post pictures.

Last edited:
I worked on the display's electrical box. This box will house the batteries and switchs to activate the car's head lights and engine. I wanted to give the box à vintage look and at the same time incorporate 2 levers. I opted for an old disconnect box but normaly, these type of boxes have only 1 lever, I had to adapt a bit. The complete electrical box assembly will be permanently fixed on the outside of the base. It will be possible to remove the display case from the base whitout removing the electrical box.

This was my inspiration for the box

Screenshot_20240320_213326_Chrome.jpg.3ac5846c532fa188ea824978a0a97494.jpg

And for the lever

Screenshot_20240320_213359_Chrome.jpg.b3290c674617f462d38b4fd3e5e3f9ce.jpg

Here's the 3d model

PRESENTATION93.jpg.82e22b1e0afb5b9a85db89d07f665061.jpg

I incorporate 2 slider switchs inside that will be actuated by the lever. Since I'm not too sure of the quality of these switchs, l designed a snap in switch holder so that if they fail, I can easily replace them. Naturally, the lid is remocable and held in place with magnets.

PRESENTATION8.jpg.d4895bb43eede2a787094bc91fa2e589.jpg

Some of the parts printed. The lid and support frame ate not correct and will be reprinted.

View attachment 20240320_210323.mp4

Back