900-ton wooden barque

Man Robert...I'd be so upset. Far to many of your beautiful creations are getting destroyed by incompetent delivery people. What does *fragile* mean to some people?

I love your work.

Rob

Thanks for replies. I am far from the best though. I regard myself as "the poor man's modelbuilder!! :) The reason being that the best, such as McNarry, McCaffery etc sell their models for thousands of dollars, where I am lucky indeed if I get the minium wage for them! I have too little patience, and build them far too quickly, and this means that they are far from perfect, although it is usually only a few people that notice this. The above 900-ton barque, is an example. A few days ago, it was pointed out to me that the furled jibs on the jibboom were far too big and clumsy. I could then see that this was true, so I removed them yesterday, and replaced them with neater versions as in the above photograph, but no-one else has actually noticed this!:D I have not had all that many damaged in transit, but it is an awful thing to happen, and when the Gulf Stream was smashed up, it was the final straw, and I called an end to it. I will not be sending any more by courier.
Bob

Sunday, 17th May, 2020 - The model itself is now complete. I can now go back to completing the base and display case. By the time I put the last piece of rigging on, I was growing rather weary of this one, and feel it is high time to get back to building either a steamer or motor ship.
Bob
Complete 1 (Large).JPG

It is not the model shipbuilding in general. Whatever I am building, I always, get tired of it towards the end, and start itching to start another!
I really don't have the patience to spend months or years building one model.
At he moment, I am out of glue, so unless the next lot arrives, all I can do is complete the display case that is more polishing than anything else. I ordered the glue on the 13th, so maybe it will come soon.
Bob

It is not the model shipbuilding in general. Whatever I am building, I always, get tired of it towards the end, and start itching to start another!
I really don't have the patience to spend months or years building one model.
At he moment, I am out of glue, so unless the next lot arrives, all I can do is complete the display case that is more polishing than anything else. I ordered the glue on the 13th, so maybe it will come soon.
Bob

I finished my 1/128 Great Republic and put it in its case...and that took me over 5 years to build. I didn't think I had the patience.

I built the case from the same maple I cut down in my yard that I used to build the models wood stand with.

IMG_9360.JPGIMG_9370.JPGIMG_9373.JPG

Very nice - :) - I certainly wouldn't have the patience for a 5-year project - I think more in terms of weeks, and even then, I am getting pretty fed up with it at the end!:D
Bob

My new lot of glue arrived today, and the local model shop announced they are closing down. It was convenient to go in for certain materials, even if they were more expensive than online - but it looks like online all the time from now on! I guess model shipbuilding in the UK is just about "washed up" now!:confused: Again, it will not affect me all that much, because I can build whatever I feel like building, without being tied to shops or kits.
I am currently drawing up neater plans for the barque, prior to producing another download, so I will be occupied in literary matters for a while.
Bob
Fore and aft sails with lettering (Large).jpg

Thursday, 21st May 2020
I have now completed the display case for the 900-ton barque. Like the model, this type of case is not very popular amongst model shipbuilders, as general opinion is that a plainer case does not distract from the model like a wooden bordered one such as this, but I suppose I am a bit old-fashioned, and I think it enhances the model quite a lot!
Bob
Display case (Large).JPG

Back