A 143 feet long Dutch warship from 1681. Cardstock [COMPLETED BUILD]

Emiel supplied me with the long expected Photoshop painting of the man-of-war I showed here this summer. It is a view on the Amsterdam harbor with the Admiralties magazine (today the Scheepvaartmuseum) in the near distance.It is the end of the day and a calm allows various vessels to dry their sails, while some yachts still find enough wind to view the anchored ships.
There is a lot to see and it does not even show my entire fleet!
Hope you like it just as much as I do.

View attachment 196414
This beautiful!

I just finished a fluit with Navara Fine Lawn. It looks very good. It can be 'sculpted' (draped?) like the voile, but is less transparant. I will show the fluit soon, as soon as I have decent pictures.

The sails looks nice on the model.
And about the costs: how many ships can you do with 1 meter or how many meters do you need for 1 ship? Its naturally depending on the width of the fabric or the amount of sails ;)
And a hobby may cost something. Especially by such a beautiful ship.
Tegards, Peter

Hi Ab, they do look great. I think the lower transparency in combination with the light and scale like appearence is certainly worth the difference in price. Did you use less thee to colour these or is the fabric lighter in colour?

I have been googling on it and in Dutch it seems to be the cloth batist. I found a similar weight cotton batist of 70 g/m.
I ordered some for a comparence with the voile cotton.
See the link below to this batist.

Hi Maarten,
Thanx for the compliment.
I only dyed the cloth in tea once, but could have done it more often, which would undoubtedly have darkened the color. The material seems to take coloring quite easily.
If you want I can send you a sample for comparison. It is of course all about the structure of the cloth: how tightly it was woven. Might be interesting to compare.

Last edited:
May I jump in the talk and would like to suggest, after Maarten received the sample from Ab (I hope so), that you really make a comparison of the cloths.
The best is here really to have both types close to each other and photograph with the same light and distance etc.
I am also close to order some good material for sails, so it would be very interesting ..... Many Thanks to both of you in advance :D

May I jump in the talk and would like to suggest, after Maarten received the sample from Ab (I hope so), that you really make a comparison of the cloths.
The best is here really to have both types close to each other and photograph with the same light and distance etc.
I am also close to order some good material for sails, so it would be very interesting ..... Many Thanks to both of you in advance :D
I fully agree with Uwe. Special when I gonna make the sails for the Bluenose ..........
Regards, Peter

Hi Maarten,
Thanx for the compliment.
I only dyed the cloth in tea once, but could have done it more often, which would undoubtedly have darkened the color. The material seems to take coloring quite easily.
If you want I can send you a sample for comparison. It is of course all about the structure of the cloth: how tightly it was woven. Might be interesting to compare.
Hi Ab,

That would be great, you know the address. I expect the cloth I ordered in 5-7 days.
I will make a test and comparence and post it here. Hopefully during the coming two weeks I will have some more time for my hobby. :)

Ab your work is really impressive and your models very successful. Is there any possibility to share / buy a plan? A complete plan as in the kits. Thank you.

Thank you Demetri.
I can send you any (mostly 3D) plans to build your own model, a fluit or any other of my models. But I am not a kit maker. You will have to do a lot after your own explorations and research. Perhaps the best explained is the one of the pinas, you can find the plans here: https://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm
But of course the draughts in Delftship are always there to be used.

Thank you Demetri.
I can send you any (mostly 3D) plans to build your own model, a fluit or any other of my models. But I am not a kit maker. You will have to do a lot after your own explorations and research. Perhaps the best explained is the one of the pinas, you can find the plans here: https://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm
But of course the draughts in Delftship are always there to be used.
I understand you.
I was not referring to a kit plan exactly. To be precise my problems are with the rigging. I have no idea where each cable / maneuver starts and where it ends.
Thank you.

Back