A 143 feet long Dutch warship from 1681. Cardstock [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks for the praise gents, I like it!
Working on a new pinas of 134 feet, because I missed the old one as well. Did make pictures, but it's all the same old story, so I won't bother you with it...

Please bother us. The process of how it all comes together is what makes it so educational. And being the teacher that I am, I can tell you, one can can never recite enough! :D

Thanks for the praise gents, I like it!
Working on a new pinas of 134 feet, because I missed the old one as well. Did make pictures, but it's all the same old story, so I won't bother you with it...
WE would like to see your work more often - No bothering!!! It is highly interesting for us

(...)

IMG_0844.jpeg

What I am trying to achieve is a natural looking ship in a normal situation, trying to avoid the classical model with all sails set and that's it. The model should create an atmosphere in my opinion. Just my 50 cents....
Dear @Ab Hoving I think you are very right with your Idea of a "natural look in a normal situation"

And...it looks more like 50 golden Dutch guilders!

I am still struggling with the question of your ship's scale in this picture above. As these are Dutch ships I do assume (due to the ammount of the details) a ratio of 1/44 or 1/55. But may you tell us, what is it's scale?

As the Dutch foot has eleven inches the ratio do shift in this way from imperial or metric towards the Dutch Eleven. For some scales I wasn't able to figure out any ratio - do you know anything about this?

1:10 -> 1:11
1/12 -> 1:11
1/16 -> 1:??
1/18 -> 1:??
1/24 -> 1:22
1:25 -> 1:22
1/32 -> 1:33
1:35 -> 1:33 (plastic military scale)
1/36 -> 1:33
1:43 -> 1:44
7mm/ft -> 1:44 (railway miniatures)
1/48 -> 1:44
1:50 -> 1:55
28mm -> 1:55 (interesting miniatures*)
1/64 -> 1:66
1/72 -> 1:77
1:75 -> 1:77
???? -> 1:88 (used at all?)
1/96 -> 1:99
1:100 -> 1:99
1/128 -> ???
1/196 -> ???
1:200 -> ???

And I do have to admit that the gap between 1/64 and 1:66 isn't that big to me so I will be in temptation to think I would have bern able to place French and Dutch vessels side by side: 1/64 aside with 1:66. Or would you say "stay with an one and only scale" to make the models ide by side really compareable?
What is your opinion to the scale problem (...if any problem at all)?

_______
*in particular EnglishCivilWar,
ThirtyYearsWar, and WaroftheSpanishSuccsession

Last edited:
No problem Chris.
All my models are made in a 1/77 scale for several reasons.
- The first one is laziness. Once the same scale is chosen, any tools and gadgets made for that scale can be used all the time.
- The second is a practical one: 1/100 delivers rather small models, 1/50 too big ones to keep in a normal living room, so 1/77 (in the middle) is a good choice. A 160 foot man-of-war produces a model size of at the most 80 cm all included, and a 60 foot vessel would hardly touch 35 cm. Sizes that can be handled!
- The third reason I work in one scale is that I want to see the relationship in size between the different types I build:
IMG_0961.JPG

This adds to my understanding of the function of various ship types.
- Why 1/77 instead of 1/75? Simply because the Dutch foot (28,3 cm) equals to 11 inches (2.6 cm). That makes things easier when working from original contracts.
As to the comparability of 1/64 and 1/66: a normal human eye won't tell the difference. I use purchased crew in scales of 1/72 and even 1/78 (HO) without any real problems. Humans come in different lengths. :)
Hope this is clear.

Back