A 143 feet long Dutch warship from 1681. Cardstock [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Maarten,
The choice for the right cloth is a difficult one. I used to use unbleached cotton in the finest variant, but nowadays the real good one seems to have disappeared. A former colleague sent me a sample called 'voile cotton', which is what I used for this warship. I like it, but the real trick is to find a company that will be able to deliver. I'm trying a firm in Yorkshire at the moment but have no reaction yet (but I only sent my letter a few days ago, so it is too early to be desperate).
I will keep you informed once I have more information.

Ab,

Thx, would be great as it is always difficult to find something suitable and I like the way the cloth you showed is shaped, very realistic.

BTW, the two prints will get there finall spot in our hallway this weekend, I will send you a picture when finished.

Then finally some more time for the hobby.

Hi Maarten,
The choice for the right cloth is a difficult one. I used to use unbleached cotton in the finest variant, but nowadays the real good one seems to have disappeared. A former colleague sent me a sample called 'voile cotton', which is what I used for this warship. I like it, but the real trick is to find a company that will be able to deliver. I'm trying a firm in Yorkshire at the moment but have no reaction yet (but I only sent my letter a few days ago, so it is too early to be desperate).
I will keep you informed once I have more information.
Ab,

I have been googling on voile katoen and found this:
They had a small remaining part which I ordered and hope to receive it tomorrow.
I will send you a piece of it so you can compare with the quality you have.
Interested to know if it is a comparable quality.

I finished the war ship this week and Emiel, my son found the time to make pictures of it. Here are the results:IMG_9679 kopie.JPG
Looking from the side the view is not really spectacular, but the quarter views below are most satisfying IMHO.

IMG_9786 kopie.JPG

IMG_9766 kopie.JPG

With 'voile cotton' the effect I wanted to achieve is within hands.
IMG_9998.JPG
Loose hanging lines can be done with stretching the rope and treating it with shellac. It becomes a stiff wire, which can be easily bend (or it bends itself by its own weight, so both ends can be glued in place. It looks more like mounting a rope than rigging it.

Ab,
What I like the most in your modeling is the final effect, which shows the ship "used", a little dirty but thanks to it "alive". To achieve such an effect, it is not enough to be a good good builder manually - you have to have the soul of an artist. Photos of your son are an additional attraction. Amazingly beautiful.

Tomek

I finished the war ship this week and Emiel, my son found the time to make pictures of it. Here are the results:View attachment 157198
Looking from the side the view is not really spectacular, but the quarter views below are most satisfying IMHO.

View attachment 157203

View attachment 157204

With 'voile cotton' the effect I wanted to achieve is within hands.
View attachment 157205
Loose hanging lines can be done with stretching the rope and treating it with shellac. It becomes a stiff wire, which can be easily bend (or it bends itself by its own weight, so both ends can be glued in place. It looks more like mounting a rope than rigging it.
Fantastisch Ab,

What a beauty.
The sails are looking perfect like they are very light and spot on to scale.

I am now working on testing the similar cloth I purchased and am working on a separate post on this. As my scale is 1:30 for my current model I am looking into creating the sails with actual strokes of cloth. some russian builders are using Alphetic resin glue (Titebond 3) to glue these and I want to test if this is greatly influencing the suppleness of the cloth.

Ab, Congratulations on finishing this model - the appearance is just amazing - so realistic.
Especially the sails are outstanding realsitic - so I am looking forward to see also Maartens post(s) on his tests using the same material.......
So @Maarten - let us see, if you reach a similar effect ;)

Thank you all for your enthusiasm. Glad you like it.

Concardi: Good to hear your approval from Italy, my favorite foreign country.
pgtaylorart: Yes, I have been around too long. Time to find another hobby :).
Seahorse: Yes, I am a painter's son, but I think the real talent has passed me and hit my son.
Maarten: I am very interested in your tests. Please keep me posted.
Uwek: I agree.
Bonden: You are too nice to me. It's only paper.

It is always a pleasure to hear positive comments. But if there is anything you don't like, don't be shy. I'm a big boy...

I have never thought of using schellak to create a realistic hanging rope-look. I've got lots of that stuff over here as I have tried to use it as finish on the hull (which became to shiny with this btw). It probably also gives ropes their somewhat dirty and used look. Now I use coffee for this.

A former colleague at the Rijksmuseum, Susan Meyer, suggested i should use 'voile cotton' for sails and she gave me a piece, which I used for this ship, with the result shown here-fore. She also mentioned the name of an English company which was most helpful in finding the right material after a sample of the wanted textile was sent to them. It is a remarkable company, called Whaleys (Bradford) located at Harris Court, Great Horton, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 4EQ in England. I sent them a sample of the very fine cotton I used until my stock (which existed of a sort of textile, I removed from old maps, soaked in water) was gone and I had to find a replacement. Today I received an answer with several samples of cloth that were very close. Indeed, like my colleague suggested 'voile cotton' was one of them, but there was another, called 'Navara fine lawn white', which seems even slightly better. It is slightly less transparent and very closely woven.
It costs 22,74 pound per meter (1.55 m wide) and if more than 2 meters are purchased the price is 18,95 pound. 'Voile cotton cream' is slightly cheaper but comes with a width of 1.40 m.

I supposed some of you just wanted to know.

A former colleague at the Rijksmuseum, Susan Meyer, suggested i should use 'voile cotton' for sails and she gave me a piece, which I used for this ship, with the result shown here-fore. She also mentioned the name of an English company which was most helpful in finding the right material after a sample of the wanted textile was sent to them. It is a remarkable company, called Whaleys (Bradford) located at Harris Court, Great Horton, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 4EQ in England. I sent them a sample of the very fine cotton I used until my stock (which existed of a sort of textile, I removed from old maps, soaked in water) was gone and I had to find a replacement. Today I received an answer with several samples of cloth that were very close. Indeed, like my colleague suggested 'voile cotton' was one of them, but there was another, called 'Navara fine lawn white', which seems even slightly better. It is slightly less transparent and very closely woven.
It costs 22,74 pound per meter (1.55 m wide) and if more than 2 meters are purchased the price is 18,95 pound. 'Voile cotton cream' is slightly cheaper but comes with a width of 1.40 m.

I supposed some of you just wanted to know.
Hallo Ab,
many many thanks for the information and the hint to Whaleys
Just searched, and the yhave also a web-page where you can also make online orders

NAVARA FINE LAWN WHITE
navara_fine_lawn.jpg navara_fine_lawn_1.jpg

Thx Ab,

As mentioned I will test the voile cotton but this less transparent sounds also great. Look forward to your first sails with this Navara Fine Lawn.

Sounds like Whaleys-Bradford is about to be surprised by the sudden fashion trend in tiny batch orders of Voile Cotton and Navara Fine Lawn. LOL
I haven't made sails of my own yet, partially because I am such a beginner, but also because they always look so clunky and out of scale. This looks like just the right thing for the job.
Thanks for sharing, Ab!
Oh, and I absolutely love the look of active draping of the sails on your model, especially the arrangement on that forecourse.

Emiel supplied me with the long expected Photoshop painting of the man-of-war I showed here this summer. It is a view on the Amsterdam harbor with the Admiralties magazine (today the Scheepvaartmuseum) in the near distance.It is the end of the day and a calm allows various vessels to dry their sails, while some yachts still find enough wind to view the anchored ships.
There is a lot to see and it does not even show my entire fleet!
Hope you like it just as much as I do.

Adam kopie.jpg

WOW - great looking painting with your models - your common work is truly amazing

Back