A 17th century Dutch armed trader – scratch built from card [COMPLETED BUILD]

To tell you the truth episcopius, I don’t know for sure. I have seen a lot of original shipmodels, but only one showed a red interior and that was an English model. I also have some doubt about the socalled reason why red was chosen. I can hardly believe that a crew would be upset because of some spilt blood in a time that public executions were extremely popular. In literature nothing is mentioned. I only color the silles of the gunports red and the inside of the lids too, because that is what I saw on old models, but proof is hard to get. Sorry.

Indeed congratulations @txn4lyf.

Very funny to see this thread again after just a year. In the mean time the model has been transferred to another museum, Kaap Skil at the Isle of Texel, so I lost it again and miss it dearly. So I started working on my sixth and probably my last pinas model. Maybe this one will finally stay at home this time. Actually it is an experiment. Lying in hospital after an open heart surgery and confronted with the finitude of life, I realized that none of my models (and Emiel's 'paintings') depicted ships in severe trouble, like going under in a gale. I also never produced a model ship in the proces of being scrapped after a long and heavy lifetime. The plans were made. Emiel liked the idea too, so a new pinas was built and the lucky side for me was, that not all the rigging was necessary. Only half was enough, which was good news for my increasingly bad eye sight. The ship lost most of its bowsprit, which took away almost the complete fore mast together with the main topmast. The fore sail landed on the forecastle and the left side has to be torn by the anchors, which wil be still in place on the channels, while the other half of the sail still catches the howling wind, coming in from starboard. Of course for the picture the ship has to be put in a badly tilted position. Most of the work is done, I will see what sort of creativity will be necessary to make it all look as 'natural' as can be. Here a few snapshots of the building stage at this moment:
20231013_123649 kopie.jpg
20231013_123758 kopie.jpg

Another piece of news is the almost completion of my last book. It will look like something like this and contains descriptions of the build of the iconic 'smalschip' (narrow ship), the type that unloaded most of the big ships that were not able to reach Amsterdam together with their cargo and therefore anchored off the isles of Texel and Vlieland, plus all the material needed for the build of the pinas. We hope to present the book by the end of this year or maybe a little bit later.

Schermafbeelding 2023-10-13 om 12.59.44.png

Hope you find it interesting and that you will like it.

Regards,
Ab

Great to hear, that you feel better and also back at the workbench
Very interesting idea with the damaged vessel - I am looking forward to see the final result, also in the "painting"
Many Thanks also for the info about your new planned publication

Back