A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

Work on the hoekman continues.
To give you an idea of my workspace this afternoon in the French Alps.
View attachment 388955

Started on the right leg with 17th century style shoe. First it looks more like a clog but you can only make it smaller so step by step from clog to hiking booth to elegant shoe.
First the clog and separate his legs.
View attachment 388956

Cut his leg.
View attachment 388957

From clog to hiking booth
View attachment 388958

To smaller shoe
View attachment 388959View attachment 388960

Detailing it
View attachment 388961
View attachment 388962

Start on the second leg
View attachment 388963
View attachment 388964
View attachment 388965

The left leg is not finished yet.

Stil a lot of fine tuning needed. In the end when the statue is carved you can finally fine tune and get the proportions optimum.
A pair of comfortable boots, Maarten. It reminds me of ………
For you, have some nice day of walking in the Alps.
Regards, Peter

The 17th century rich merchant man wore a knicker bocker preferrebly silk with nice white soks held up by silk ribbons.

So time for cutting the knicker bocker.
From square to a puffy baggy trousers.
20230812_092032.jpg
20230812_094618.jpg

Followed by the robbins of the socks.
20230812_180030.jpg

Next is his coat with golden buttons.
20230812_203830.jpg

Next will be the cape he wears over the coat.

See below a 17th century painting of a merchantman and the batavia yard reconstruction.
Screenshot_20230728-231608_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
Screenshot_20230728-231541_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

I know this is difficult to do, you need to get the dimensions correct. That is very difficult to get. Bravo!
Stephan you hit the nail on the head. The most difficult is proportions. Our human brain is programmed to recognize people and proportion play an important role in this. Sowe see every little detail if something is wrong. At these small scales that can be a 10th of a mm or less, especially in a face. It is then no cutting any more but scraping to get the proportions right.
I use my camera on my phone for this, it has facial recognition and you can use it to see if proportions are right when it recognize your carvings head as a face. Now we only have to get the rest of the body right :)

Hi Heinrich,

Just start with it and ypu will see it is more simple then you think. It is fun to do it.
My Dearest Maarten. Part of having reached my age is realizing what you can or can't do. Luckily, I have no problem with admitting to the "what I cannot do part ROTF. I will simply sit back and enjoy a master at work!

The 17th century rich merchant man wore a knicker bocker preferrebly silk with nice white soks held up by silk ribbons.

So time for cutting the knicker bocker.
From square to a puffy baggy trousers.
View attachment 389246
View attachment 389247

Followed by the robbins of the socks.
View attachment 389248

Next is his coat with golden buttons.
View attachment 389249

Next will be the cape he wears over the coat.

See below a 17th century painting of a merchantman and the batavia yard reconstruction.
View attachment 389250
View attachment 389251
1692002767479.jpeg

I'm confused, it is a Dutch fluyt being build, not an English man-o-war, right?
You're in England right now?
No need to be confused. Of course, Maarten is building a Dutch Fluyt. ROTF

Great start Maarten and glorious temporary workshop. Wondering if you can refine the buttons with the aid of some sharpened brass tube with the correct internal diameter, obviously when you return home;)
Hi Nigel,

Thx for the tip. I had the idea doing that with my cupp burr which I left at home. The whole statue still has to be refined which I will do when it is carved as a whole.
I think I also have to fine tune proportions etc.

Back