A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

The most difficult part for me was the nose and under lip.
You did a great job. Watch out not to overdone. You cut easily a tiny micromilimeter to much and the face expression changes for 100%
I once asked a mechanic how much torque to put on a bolt. His answer: "A quarter turn before failure..."
But you're right; the margin between succes and failure at this scale is about zero.
Being able to pull off these kind of sculptures puts people like Maarten (not going to mention more, would be incomplete) in a whole different league.

Hi Dean,

Many thanks for your comment, much appreciated. And yes I can still add these being work in progress. But the big eye balls seems to be a typical 17th century carving style, see the batavia yard example.
View attachment 390262

A carving from Batavia
View attachment 390266

And a recently recovered 17th century carving from the North Sea
View attachment 390263

A carving from a fluyt wreck.
View attachment 390265

And Vasa carvings.
View attachment 390264
View attachment 390267
View attachment 390268
View attachment 390269

I think I use your advice and make them slightly less pronounced like the Batavia knights head.

Btw if you can draw like that you can certaily carve, it is all bout what is in your mind and bring it to wood or paper. Looking at your drawing you can do it better then me :), I am just a marine engineer.
Wonderfull work.
I see the style you refer to and it seems almost cartoonish. You have done a great job duplicating that. But I am certain no one would verbally beat you up if you made the eye more realistic and added some eye brows. I call it artistic license. ;) The Wasa carvings are more realistic.
Just remember the size of the eyes in relation to the face. And how far apart they are. Typically the eyes are only open enough to expose the cornea. I also realize that the size makes it harder to add these fine details.

Thanks for the compliment on the drawing, I have been drawing for many years. I am a mechanical Engineer, (Oilfield pressure control equipment). But I am an artist since childhood.
You too have artistic ability to carve as well as you do. ;)

Hi Dean,

I directly send him to the plasticsurgean to give him some eyelids and removed some 10th of a microgram of boxwood.
View attachment 390270View attachment 390271View attachment 390272

To give you an idea about size of th eyes I put my smallest 0,5 mm chisel next to it.
View attachment 390273
This to me is a definite improvement. Well done! The nostrils in the nose would be a nice touch as well. You can use a tiny hand drill or rat tail file. ;)

Ps - Of course you have more experience than me at carving, so hope I am not being rhetorical!

Last edited:
This to me is a definite improvement. Well done! The nostrils in the nose would be a nice touch as well. You can use a tiny hand drill or rat tail file. ;)

Ps - Of course you have more experience than me at carving, so hope I am not being rhetorical!
Hi Dean,

Nostrils is something I considered, but the risk that the complete nose comes off when doing that is rather high.
I do have an 0,5 mm u shaped chisel, which I also used for his tie. A rat file is way too big to do this.
A 0,3 mm dril twisted by hand can be an option but is not part of my holiday travelling workshop :cool:

The last project on the hoekman is his hair.
This guy has long hair according 17th century fashion.
The hair I cut with different sizes U shaped chisels of 0,5 mm to 0,7 mm.

20230819_185204.jpg20230819_185156.jpg20230819_185148.jpg

Maybe I will add additional curls to his hair, not sure yet.

The last project on the hoekman is his hair.
This guy has long hair according 17th century fashion.
The hair I cut with different sizes U shaped chisels of 0,5 mm to 0,7 mm.

View attachment 390451View attachment 390452View attachment 390453

Maybe I will add additional curls to his hair, not sure yet.
Looks great Maarten!
I actually made the nostrils on my Lion with a straight pin. Caution needed as you can split the wood if you get too aggressive. ;)
I do have tiny Diamond rat tail files that come to a very small sharp point.
I like the hair! On the Lion I used an xacto blade to create fine lines in between the deep grooves, as this adds a little additional detail for hair. Just throwing out ideas. ;)

The first Hoekman is finished except for some brushing and buffing which I will do at home.
The second layer of hair is added and I fine tuned his body to give him more waist. His shoulders are lower and his chest is reduced. The lower and upper consoles will be cut when he is fitted on the ship.

The statue is all cut with chisels except for a slot between his legs and the top of his head which were done with a rotary bit.
See below.
20230820_134515.jpg
20230820_133939.jpg20230820_133538.jpg20230820_133512.jpg20230820_133452.jpg20230820_133424.jpg

I won t bother you with cutting the second one :)

The first Hoekman is finished except for some brushing and buffing which I will do at home.
The second layer of hair is added and I fine tuned his body to give him more waist. His shoulders are lower and his chest is reduced. The lower and upper consoles will be cut when he is fitted on the ship.

The statue is all cut with chisels except for a slot between his legs and the top of his head which were done with a rotary bit.
See below.
View attachment 390548
View attachment 390543View attachment 390544View attachment 390545View attachment 390546View attachment 390547

I won t bother you with cutting the second one :)
It’s looking great, Maarten. Some well spended time in your vacation.
Regards, Peter

Back