A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

Thanks a lot, Maarten. Ah, really, the same thing over and over again – even in these better recognised wrecks, the most important aspects, i.e. those related to the ship's construction and design, remain unknown anyway, as if only the golden treasures were worthy of attention. :)

Did you say scheerstrook? Soon? Very nice. Sounds like a sensible plan. And attractive to watch.

.​

Hi Maarten,

I like the new “curve“. But If I look to you picture s I think there is something wrong with the lining. On the right is a wave which is not visible on the left.
I was first thinking that is the dark glue that gives this impression. I notice this too before. But on top the curve is still vissible. A little bit sanding and it is perfect.

Hi Maarten,

I like the new “curve“. But If I look to you picture s I think there is something wrong with the lining. On the right is a wave which is not visible on the left.
Yes you are fully right, this curve will be removed when fitting the next plank on top.
I leave a little extra flesh on them to match all the changing curves due to the changing angles around the bend.

Thanks Maarten for this extensive reporting on the progress of your great efforts to build this fluyt shell first. I have spend two days to catch up on all 23 pages of your blog. Very informative of the whole process, and I realy love your near-dioramic ship building dock, that is actually functional. I am very tempted to try the shell first method to for my next build, but working up the courage atm. It is slightly intimidating, to see all yours and others expertise on SoS on show and thinking I could do that too....First stocking up on my library; last months acquisition was Heinrich Winter's book about the 1660/1670 holländische Zweidecker (in the original german from Rostock -both printed there and from a Rostocker bookstore) and Ab Hoving's book (nicolaes witsen and shipbuilding in the dutch golden age) is now in the post for a christmas present. Keep bending that wood!

Thanks Maarten for this extensive reporting on the progress of your great efforts to build this fluyt shell first. I have spend two days to catch up on all 23 pages of your blog. Very informative of the whole process, and I realy love your near-dioramic ship building dock, that is actually functional. I am very tempted to try the shell first method to for my next build, but working up the courage atm. It is slightly intimidating, to see all yours and others expertise on SoS on show and thinking I could do that too....First stocking up on my library; last months acquisition was Heinrich Winter's book about the 1660/1670 holländische Zweidecker (in the original german from Rostock -both printed there and from a Rostocker bookstore) and Ab Hoving's book (nicolaes witsen and shipbuilding in the dutch golden age) is now in the post for a christmas present. Keep bending that wood!
Hi Rogier,

Thx for comments, much appreciated to hear my blog inspired you to start a build also.
My advise is just start with it. It is a lot of fun and I am more then willing to answer your questions.
Expect you also checked out Stephan s blog on his twee dekker according to Winter s book.

You could also consider to build Ab s reconstruction of Witsens pinas of which drawings are part of his book.

Currently my blog is temporary on hold as I have some restauration works going on on my British classic car.
Hopefully after Christmas my build will continue.

This week I had some spare time during our skiing trip in the French Alps to finally work again on the carvings of the 2nd hoekman.
I haven't made them 100% twins but they are brothers wearing the same costume.
Below some pictures on the carving of the cape which they are wearing over their coat.
20231220_174518.jpg20231220_174505.jpg20231221_165524.jpg20231221_175743.jpg20231221_175755.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderfull Christmas and happy and healthy 2024 from a nice winter wonderland.
20231220_141232.jpg

This week I had some spare time during our skiing trip in the French Alps to finally work again on the carvings of the 2nd hoekman.
Below some pictures on the carving of the cape which they are wearing over their coat.
View attachment 415636View attachment 415637View attachment 415638View attachment 415639View attachment 415640

Wishing you all a wonderfull Christmas and happy and healthy 2024 from a nice winter wonderland.
View attachment 415641
Great craftsmanship on your "hoekmannen".
I wish you a fine holiday, Merry Christmas and a happy healthy New Year.

View attachment 415636View attachment 415637View attachment 415638View attachment 415639View attachment 415640

View attachment 415641
It's great that you keep “holiday-carving” alive, Maarten. And the result is there. Nice to combine several hobbies. Enjoy the days.
Regards, Peter

I think it's better they are not twins. They are more interesting if they each have their own character. Yours are looking great. Carving is about carving, the more you carve the better you become. With that said, your fingers are going to be very sore by the time you finish your SotSROTF!

Back