A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

The second bilge planks fitted on both sides of the bow you clearly see the blunt bow appearing.
View attachment 449355
View attachment 449354
View attachment 449353
View attachment 449352

The stern is now fully stripped.
View attachment 449358

In the new stern shape the curvature of the second blige plank is nearly 90 deg. this to create the full round shape of the fluyt stern.
In my (sorry the previous shipwright) first stern attempt this shape was to slender.
View attachment 449356
View attachment 449357
Highly appreciating this build, Maarten, and the craftsmanship involved. Still my uneducated eyes are trying to tell me the curves/surfaces have a rather sharp transition, at least, that’s how it appears. I would expect a more “blunt” and continuous curvature.

Highly appreciating this build, Maarten, and the craftsmanship involved. Still my uneducated eyes are trying to tell me the curves/surfaces have a rather sharp transition, at least, that’s how it appears. I would expect a more “blunt” and continuous curvature.
That is partly the result of the angled blige plank I have choosen and was used in shell first builds as also shown by Witsen. The bow shape itself has a round bilge but you can't see that very clear on the pictures

Work on the stern continues. Before fitting of the next plank the rabbet is carved to the proper shape.
20240602_143441.jpg

And te next plank fitted with clamps and chains.
20240602_152922.jpg

The nice bluff shape of the stern of a fluyt is starting to shape.
20240602_201606.jpg
20240602_200609.jpg

There is some serious bending needed in the stern of the fluyt and as I bend with water soaked planks on a soldering iron you see the black spots of the discoloured wood.
20240602_200502.jpg
20240602_200512.jpg

The trick to get the better shape stern is in the angle of the planks meeting the stern at +/- 45 deg.
20240602_200539.jpg
20240602_200631.jpg

And on the inside
20240602_200822.jpg
20240602_201606.jpg

Current status of bow and stern.
20240602_200913.jpg
20240602_201425.jpg

Next are the two rows of bilge planks towards the stern.

Looks goooood...

Question, maybe because I work on a smaller scale then you that I got this problem. I adjusted the rabbet in my second attempt. Because first I made on perfect looking, but that wouldn't hold the planks in the rabbet. The problem was that planks came out and there was a small gap. It happens when more rows where mounted. Now I make the rabbet deeper, so the full plank fits in. You don't see the difference when everything is in place. My planks are 1,85 to 1,95 mm. thick and the rabbet is about 1,8 mm. deep and wide.

Nice thing, but the planks are enormously curved towards the stern.
that surprises me.
I would have expected a smoother approach.

Looks goooood...

Question, maybe because I work on a smaller scale then you that I got this problem. I adjusted the rabbet in my second attempt. Because first I made on perfect looking, but that wouldn't hold the planks in the rabbet. The problem was that planks came out and there was a small gap. It happens when more rows where mounted. Now I make the rabbet deeper, so the full plank fits in. You don't see the difference when everything is in place. My planks are 1,85 to 1,95 mm. thick and the rabbet is about 1,8 mm. deep and wide.
The rabbet is made to fit when the plank is fitted. But there is no major tension on the plank when fitted into the rabbet. The plank is already completely in shape.

Nice thing, but the planks are enormously curved towards the stern.
that surprises me.
I would have expected a smoother approach.
The forward frame of the fluyt is nearly identical to the centre frame and there fore boxy in shape.
This hull shape creates as much cargo space as possible, especially for large tree trunks as this most probably was a wood carrier.

If I make the bow more round this will change my forward frame.
I have also drawn this shape in delftship to check and it should work. In my first attempt the planks got a very curved shape creating this hull, but in the current shape the planks are nearly straight.

Very nice build Martin and absolutely professional.

There will certainly be an explanation for the misspelled nine. When we look at clocks, for example, we often notice that the 4 is written as IIII and not IV as usual. There are two explanations for this.
1. the aesthetic view of the clock if we divide the dial in the middle we have the same number of lines on each side.
2. and this is the real reason for this, in Latin the spelling for the I -> J and the V -> a U so the correct spelling would be JU which in turn was the deity Jupiter in ancient times, so it would have been blasphemy.

I'm pretty sure that the 9 is something similar.

Very nice build Martin and absolutely professional.

There will certainly be an explanation for the misspelled nine. When we look at clocks, for example, we often notice that the 4 is written as IIII and not IV as usual. There are two explanations for this.
1. the aesthetic view of the clock if we divide the dial in the middle we have the same number of lines on each side.
2. and this is the real reason for this, in Latin the spelling for the I -> J and the V -> a U so the correct spelling would be JU which in turn was the deity Jupiter in ancient times, so it would have been blasphemy.

I'm pretty sure that the 9 is something similar.
THX for your additional feedback.
Suprisingly is that the 4 ft at the bottom is written even in arabic numerals.

On the other side of the stern the roman numerals are made by rotated V and ....
And 9 is V....
20190727_125606.jpg

I may have expressed myself somewhat confusingly.
The shape of the rear sternpost run-up seems very blunt to me. I would have expected it to be sharper.

I will follow it with great interest. Exciting stuff.

I may have expressed myself somewhat confusingly.
The shape of the rear sternpost run-up seems very blunt to me. I would have expected it to be sharper.

I will follow it with great interest. Exciting stuff.
Hi Bela,

I first had this smooth approach but this created a stern with insufficient volume. That is the reason for this.

New stern
20240602_200913.jpg
And at the bow a second curved plank and 2 bilges parts. Your progress is further in this than in the ‘New Bow picture’... :)
Regards, Peter

Back