A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

Today I placed the last two planks on the SB bilge to finish my bath tub.
Below the result of the shell first build part before starting to fill her up with floor timbers.
View attachment 454729View attachment 454730View attachment 454731View attachment 454732View attachment 454733View attachment 454734View attachment 454735

The guidence blocks for the garboard stroke are removed.
View attachment 454736
View attachment 454737

Next is the tingel which is a triangular shaped plank. This creates a space between the keel and planking and floor timbers like the limber hole in the floor timbers on English ships.
View attachment 454738
View attachment 454739

And in reality on the Samuel wreck.
View attachment 454740View attachment 454741

Next time finishing the tingels and starting with the floor timbers.
A very nice base for the rest of the build, Maarten. It looks old fashioned with all those scarph joints.
Regards, Peter

Exemplary work, Maarten.
Now you could also consider to change your shipyard into a diorama and have multiple hulls next to one another in various stages of assembly to show the “shell first” assembly process. Just a suggestion, no pressure or anything…
An interesting Idea, certainly at smaller scale.
It would be interesting to scan it in 3D at different build stages and print the model at smaller scale.

A very nice base for the rest of the build, Maarten. It looks old fashioned with all those scarph joints.
Regards, Peter
At this stage of construction, the whole thing seems very archaic. Remarkable
my dear friend Maarten
it's so unique and so special, well done my it gone a beautiful model
Thx gents,

The old fashioned shipyard will be expanded as soon as the floor timbers(buikstukken/liggers) and first futtocks (zitters) are in.
Than the next experimental phase will start.
Setting up the scheerstrook, looking forward to that.

The tingel is in and sanded back in shape to nicely fit between the floor timbers and gardboard strake.
You can clearly see the function, a filler piece to fit the treenails and attach the floors to the gardboard strake and leave a limber space along the keel to drain water to the pumps.
20240624_191131.jpg

I have removed the temporary wooden bars which kept the planks together and sanded the inner planking to receive the floor. In reality these were removed after the floor timber was place and treenailed to the planks, we have glue :-). I leave some of the brown tarred surfaces as also can be seen in real wooden ships.
20240624_201006.jpg

In real 17th century ships are all but straight and even, so all my straight sawn beam I have to mistreat to give them a look and feel of a large timber sawn out of a tree trunk.
20240624_202113.jpg

I glue the floor timbers in place with pva and press them with a heavy weight untill the glue sets. Afterwards all floor timbers will be tree nailed to the planks.
20240624_202136.jpg

The floors are also different in length not any is the same.
20240624_204525.jpg

Also the discoloration from the circle saw I leave on the floor timbers.
20240624_204546.jpg

Current status
20240624_204637.jpg

Space between the beams is a slightly more than the width, this to have sufficient space for the zitters / buikstukken. There should be some space between the timbers to create ventilation and avoid rot.

See below inside timbers on two different wrecks.
20220616_114435.jpg
20230305_143954.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic Maarten. A very authentic feeling construction!
I agree with Paul. And the fun of doing it like this.
Thx gents,

Yes Paul, forget the beautiful shiny kits and start building a shell first scratch from your own made drawings :). It is lot's of fun.

Back