A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

.....These are what my straight timber looks like ROTF . Seriously tho : What a brilliant example of authentic period driven modelling should be. Stunning work Maarten. Cheers Grant
Than start a Dutch build, you can do it without additional work ROTF.
I (almost) fully agree with Maarten.:D
Regards, Peter
...almost doesn't count as an option ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF
….. In no way I did consider building the shell first on my Balder. ROTF
.... this is a serious statement and requires proof. ROTF ROTF ROTF

So far all talk and no correlated action... ;)

More floor timbers added towards the stern. The remainder of the aft floor timber all need to be tailor made due to the rising of the floor from this point.

A heavy weight again used during setting of the glue.
20240626_203453.jpg
20240626_221408.jpg
20240626_221423.jpg

Now the space between the center frame and the stem is cleaned.
20240701_194452.jpg

And floors added.
20240703_085445.jpg
20240703_085515.jpg

More floor timbers added towards the stern. The remainder of the aft floor timber all need to be tailor made due to the rising of the floor from this point.

View attachment 457502
View attachment 457503
View attachment 457504

View attachment 457505

And floors added.
View attachment 457506
View attachment 457507
Maarten my dear friend
I simply salute you for the quality of your work and your pioneeringOkay

View attachment 457502
View attachment 457503
View attachment 457504

View attachment 457505

And floors added.
View attachment 457506
View attachment 457507
Immaculate, as we’ve come to expect.
I noticed that some of the plank splices are close together, sometimes close to adjacent. Is that something the early day shipwrights weren’t bothered with?

Immaculate, as we’ve come to expect.
I noticed that some of the plank splices are close together, sometimes close to adjacent. Is that something the early day shipwrights weren’t bothered with?
Thx gents for comments and likes.
No worries about this planking as the scarph joints create an overlap any way.
See below the planking of the Samuel wreck showing the same.
f08ee7a1-e122-dddd-010a-43093d24ca8b.jpg

Before I continue with fitting the most Fwd and aft floors I start working on the first futtock, in Dutch called "buikstukken or zitters".

In the fluyt design these are the same for a large part of the hull so to speed up construction I saw them from a block instead of a plank.
I have drawn the zitters shape on the block.
20240705_140353.jpg

Then with my small proxxon bandsaw with a 3mm blade easily saw the thick zitter.
20240705_141634.jpg

Cut this into slices on the bandsaw. Just by hand so pieces are slightly irregular. There was a shrink crack in this block of wood so some pieces are too short.
20240705_143853.jpg

The second one is crack free.
20240705_173939.jpg

The majority of work is creating the individual sizes of the zitter. After fitting 10 pieces on the SB side this is the current status.
20240705_174237.jpg
20240705_174249.jpg
20240705_174257.jpg
20240705_174312.jpg
20240705_174338.jpg
20240705_174516.jpg

Before I continue with fitting the most Fwd and aft floors I start working on the first futtock, in Dutch called "buikstukken or zitters".

In the fluyt design these are the same for a large part of the hull so to speed up construction I saw them from a block instead of a plank.
View attachment 457536

Then with my small proxxon bandsaw with a 3mm blade easily saw the thick zitter.
View attachment 457537

Cut this into slices on the bandsaw. Just by hand so pieces are slightly irregular. There was a shrink crack in this block of wood so some pieces are too short.
View attachment 457538

View attachment 457539

The majority of work is creating the individual sizes of the zitter. After fitting 10 pieces on the SB side this is the current status.
View attachment 457540
View attachment 457541
View attachment 457542
View attachment 457543
View attachment 457544
View attachment 457545
smart

View attachment 457536

View attachment 457537

View attachment 457538

View attachment 457539

View attachment 457540
View attachment 457541
View attachment 457542
View attachment 457543
View attachment 457544
View attachment 457545
A beautiful irregular construction with coherence, Maarten. A pleasure for the eyes.
Regards, Peter

Thx gents.

A small update on the zitters, also the PS side is now added.
You see I have left some space between my "zitters and liggers" floors and first futtocks.
I am building a cargo ship which has slightly lighter timbers then a warship. Secondly the space between the timbers avoid entrapped water between the frame parts, outside planking and ceiling "huidgangen en wegering".
20240706_130855.jpg20240706_130911.jpg20240706_131007.jpg20240706_172929.jpg

Are you sure about that space? Because these parts of the frame also make the ship strong and when there is so much space the ship could break in a storm or big waves. A few gaps okay but at every frame.....

Are you sure about that space? Because these parts of the frame also make the ship strong and when there is so much space the ship could break in a storm or big waves. A few gaps okay but at every frame.....
Gaps or no gaps doesn't change the strength of the frames. The strength is coming from the connection to the planks as the frame parts are not interconnected. Only if you connect the frame parts to each other, lengthen the zitters or increase the thickness of the zitters you increase the strength of the frame.

In war ships they closed this ring of wood especially at the waterline between the second and third futtock to create a barrier against incoming cannon balls and have a solid ring of wood.

Gaps or no gaps doesn't change the strength of the frames. The strength is coming from the connection to the planks as the frame parts are not interconnected. Only if you connect the frame parts to each other, lengthen the zitters or increase the thickness of the zitters you increase the strength of the frame.

In war ships they closed this ring of wood especially at the waterline between the second and third futtock to create a barrier against incoming cannon balls and have a solid ring of wood.
That's not what I ment to say, the stiffness of the hull in the length is coming from the frames that are placed to each other. These Dutch ships have the frames only attached to the hull planks and not to each other. That makes these ships more flexible in the length. Placing these frames with a gap that much will make the ship to bent to much. The ship will come in problems. A drawing to show what I ment. It is like plywood that you want to bent, you make with a saw carves in the plywood to bent it to the side where the carves are made.

Drawing1.jpg
In above picture you can see, more space between the timber, more bent. (top)
Less space, less bent, more stiffness in the length of the ship.
And when the ship is to flexible the movement between the timbers will increase, which will lead to much movement in the connections, something you don't want.
But this is how I think about it. Because I see this like those bridges in the past, what are starting to wobbling with the frequency of the wind and collapse in a while. But I could be wrong.

Your train of thought is understandable. If the ship only had a flat bottom, the whole thing would be very unstable, but then there are also the upright sides of the hull. This is where the frames would have to be kept at a distance from the planks when the hull bends.
And then there are the beam supports, chine supports, jibs, ribs...
I am not sure if the translation is correct, so the last part is also in German:

...And there are the "Balkweger, Kimmweger, Scherstöcke, Leibhözer..."

Hi Stephan,

I agree with @Bela on this. The strength is coming from the sandwich construction of the planking, ceiling etc.
Even if you have a small space between the beams the effect you are mentioning is already gone.

Keeping in mind the shrinking effect of oak while drying I expect timpers in shell first build ship most probably never were directly joining each other. We have used 14 cm oven dried oak beams in our kitchen and even these shrunk 1 cm in diameter. If you would have that in a ship where much thicker beams were used this would be a lot more, so spaces between the timbers would be unavoidable if you are not joining the timbers together with treenails or bolts.

In the historical records of new build ships there are even complaints about the lack of seasoning of the wood before used in construction which caused rot, keep in mind the shrinking on these types of fresh cut timbers.

See below the space between the timbers of the Witte Zwaan of Willem Barentsz
H-JaJaFo-160707_Huidgangen5-768x512.jpg
JaJaFo-160827_knieëngalerij(2).jpg
montage-kimwegers.png

Back