• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

Finally a small update, not too much time for the hobby lately.
For the orlop coaming I made closed hatches.
The main hatch I splitted in two with a removable ledge in the middle to support the covers.
20260710_161345.jpg20260710_161428.jpg20260710_161448.jpg

Next is the nailing of the planks and adding the rings to lift them.
20260716_200350.jpg
20260716_200736.jpg
20260717_145202.jpg

The fwd hatch cover is a single piece.
20260720_200034.jpg

Now working on the ladders in the holds.
20260720_215330.jpg
20260720_215338.jpg

And a brief overview.
20260720_215613.jpg
 
Finally a small update, not too much time for the hobby lately.
For the orlop coaming I made closed hatches.
The main hatch I splitted in two with a removable ledge in the middle to support the covers.
View attachment 620525View attachment 620526View attachment 620527

Next is the nailing of the planks and adding the rings to lift them.
View attachment 620528
View attachment 620529
View attachment 620530

The fwd hatch cover is a single piece.
View attachment 620531

Now working on the ladders in the holds.
View attachment 620532
View attachment 620533

And a brief overview.
View attachment 620534
Nice hatches with nice details, Maarten.
Regards, Peter
 
I'm late again—wasn't yesterday your birthday? Well, belated happy birthday, and I hope you had a wonderful day.
 
Hi Paul,

Yes this I did with my small proxxon mill. I use a plank with a small pin in it.
Position the pin partly under the mill so if I put the plank under it it just cuts away the 1,3 mm width I need.
Then I adjust the mill at the proper height. Turn on the mill and push the planks underneath it.
All your slots are the same, even in curved planks. This methode works very fast.
Dear Maarten,

I ready your articels today for the secend time and I do have got a typical beginners' question for Durch shipbuilding:
Are these rules the same in use for the build of a warship? Or is the change frome pine to oak a complete gamechanger?

Thanks a lot, Chris
 
Back
Top