Albatros by OcCre American Schooner 1:100 by Kramer [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ratlines are done! Probably my least favorite part of the build so far. And by least favorite I still enjoyed doing it. I guess I never got into a methodical rhythm of tying the knots and clove hitches, and I never got consistent with the tension I wanted; not taught but not too much slack. I'm glad I tied them though and didn't just glue the ratlines to the shrouds.

View attachment 297020
View attachment 297021

View attachment 297022
Ratlines, they definitely are a pain to work on, but they are the cherries on the cake. Leave them out and your entire model looks unfinished/cheap.
Nice job! Thumbsup

Some of the lines cross and touch each other. I can't imagine that's something that would happen on a real ship. I'm assuming that due to the size of the model and that it's a beginner's ship that it's not going to be that close to scale, so the lines might touch.

Some of the lines cross and touch each other. I can't imagine that's something that would happen on a real ship. I'm assuming that due to the size of the model and that it's a beginner's ship that it's not going to be that close to scale, so the lines might touch.
Hello Kramer, you see you have placed some blocks upside down, the sails are the hardest part to do on the models for their ladder

Hello Kramer, you see you have placed some blocks upside down, the sails are the hardest part to do on the models for their ladder
Hey Frank! Yes, someone pointed out the blocks. I would never have thought of that. Just another tidbit of info I've learned from this blog that will help me with my next build. I appreciate you taking the time to notice that, and I really appreciate you pointing that out. There are so many little things about this ship that I'm going to improve upon for my second build. I'm keeping a running tab. I'm very proud of my Albatros, but I'm more excited about the next build!

Hey Frank! Yes, someone pointed out the blocks. I would never have thought of that. Just another tidbit of info I've learned from this blog that will help me with my next build. I appreciate you taking the time to notice that, and I really appreciate you pointing that out. There are so many little things about this ship that I'm going to improve upon for my second build. I'm keeping a running tab. I'm very proud of my Albatros, but I'm more excited about the next build!
Good morning (Naples) Kramer, I really appreciate how you accept suggestions, Thank you for answering me

My Albatros is done! Well, according to the instructions it's done. I'd like to add a couple of modifications that aren't in the kit. Im going to add some coiled line to the belay pins. Also, I was hoping someone could help me fabricate my own tender (I think that's what they're called...the boat used to go back and forth to shore from the ship...sorry, I'm new). After reading posts I wanted to up my game a bit before I mount her on a shelf. I'm not crazy about the metal tender they provide that I painted brown and black. I saw a post where someone build their own tender out of scraps and it looked great! Any instructions out there to help me build my own?
Next step is to make some modifications to my work bench and mount a shelf I can display my Albatros on. I really enjoyed this build and I'm excited about my next. I learned a lot doing and reading this site. I'll provide my list of lessons and recommendations later.
I'm going to stick with OcCre for my second build. I liked the quality and the customer service was excellent. I have it narrowed down to the Endurance or the Terror. Any votes?
IMG_0278.jpegIMG_0279.jpegIMG_0280.jpeg

Excellent work ship looks great! I looked at both models and chose to do the Endurance a larger model with more detail and more challenging with less written instructions and more pictures to build from.I am happy with it and think it is a real sharp looking ship.

Congratulations for finishing her - well done :cool:

Dressing it up before I put it on a shelf. I created a jig to add some extra line to the belay pins. Wrapped some thread around 2 brass pins and tied it off. Then swabbed it with diluted PVA and hung it over another jig to let it get some form before hanging it on the belay pin. Not sure if it's historically accurate, but I'm liking the way it looks and it's about as good as I could figure out how to do it. 7 down and about 40 to go!

IMG_0282 (1).jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg

The Albatros is my first build, and man I've learned a lot by doing! I was excited to start this hobby last year. I'm starting this build log a little over half way through the build, but here it is anyway. Happy to be here, I'll keep posting.
Hallo @Kramer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
After finishing the Albatros, are you working on a new project?

Hallo @Kramer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
After finishing the Albatros, are you working on a new project?
Hey! Thanks very much. The birthday wishes were a nice surprise from SoS. Yes, I purchased the Endeavor from OcCre. It's supposed to be a level higher than the Albatros. And after opening the box and detaching all of the wood and metal parts, it certainly is! But I'm excited about getting into it. So far I've organized all of the parts and have been testing paints, since this model has lots of painted parts. With the Albatros I wasn't happy with the paints I bought for the metal pieces, and so far the paint I like for wood is watercolor paints I have from painting on canvas and a couple of coats of shellac. I'll start a build log soon. Not a lot of progress during the summer thought. Thanks again, Uwek!

Back