• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Artesania Latina Anatomy of Lord Nelson’s HMS Victory 1805

The Show Must Go On
So I’m Waiting For the Hammer to Fall
Incase Another One Bites the Dust
Over to you :D
By the way
You’re My Best Friend :D
 
News FLASH!
I think I'm Going Slightly Mad. I keep thinking The Victory sailed the Seven Seas of Rhye or was it a Bicycle Race watching Fat Bottomed Girls looking for Good Old Fashioned Lover Boys Lazing on a Sunday Afternoons.
 
Instructions video #38 Part 1

In this first part I install the hammock cranes on the rail at the stern of the waste area and fit the hand rails and ladders around the waste
A couple of tips here, for those like me who haven’t quite mastered the art of blackening without leaving a residue that gets on your fingers, I suggest painting these parts after blackening making sure to get some paint inside the eyelets otherwise the nice white thread that threads through them won’t stay white for long, another tip that is probably quite well known is to stiffen the end of the thread with some CA glue and cut it to a nice small point to ease getting it through these very small eyelets. For that reason I didn’t wax this small thread and will have to suffer the fuzz, but I’ve ordered a gas barbecue lighter and I will experiment on a spare piece of thread to see if the open flame method burns off the fuzz without damaging the thread

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5513.jpeg

IMG_5521.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5532.jpeg
 
Instructions video #38 Part 2

In this 2nd part I fit the internal wall details of the captain’s cabin, make the furniture for that area, the paint a few more figures. Lord Nelson makes his first appearance on my model in busy captain’s cabin dictating a message for the Admiralty while Hardy briefs some junior officers on the ships destination

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5544.jpeg

IMG_5548.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

IMG_5554.jpeg

IMG_5555.jpeg

IMG_5556.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Instructions video #38 Part 3

In this final part I wire the lanterns to the remaining beams and fit them in place over the quarter deck stern area, connecting them together in the ever decreasing space at the top rear of the framework and leave a final pair of cables that will eventually go round to the stern lanterns

IMG_5568.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg
 
Instructions video #38 Part 1

In this first part I install the hammock cranes on the rail at the stern of the waste area and fit the hand rails and ladders around the waste
A couple of tips here, for those like me who haven’t quite mastered the art of blackening without leaving a residue that gets on your fingers, I suggest painting these parts after blackening making sure to get some paint inside the eyelets otherwise the nice white thread that threads through them won’t stay white for long, another tip that is probably quite well known is to stiffen the end of the thread with some CA glue and cut it to a nice small point to ease getting it through these very small eyelets. For that reason I didn’t wax this small thread and will have to suffer the fuzz, but I’ve ordered a gas barbecue lighter and I will experiment on a spare piece of thread to see if the open flame method burns off the fuzz without damaging the thread

View attachment 616551

View attachment 616552

View attachment 616553

View attachment 616554

View attachment 616555

View attachment 616556

View attachment 616557

View attachment 616558

View attachment 616559

View attachment 616560

View attachment 616561

View attachment 616562

View attachment 616563
Looks like lots of fiddly work but you have nailed it!
 
Hammock Crane Netting

After doing the hammock crane at the stern of the waste area, I fast forwarded several videos to see when the netting would be fitted, but it appears that AL have decided to omit this feature which in my opinion isa major omission
I saw some netting included in the kit part list and assumed it was for this purpose, but it appears this is only used for the rails on the fighting tops.
When I did my Del Prado upgrade about20 years ago, this was also an omission, but to be honest there was not a great deal of detail in the whole kit:)
On that occasion I sourced some net curtaining with 1mm squares which I had to cut at 45 degrees to get the diamond netting pattern (pictures 1 and 2). I still have some left but it would not be enough to complete this model, so I have spent the last couple of weeks trying to find something similar in curtain stores near and far,and on the net(excuse the pun) but to no avail
I thought I’d cracked it when making a visit to Hobby Craft I found some mesh fabric for tapestry, but when I got it home and unfolded it , it was too thick in scale for my requirements ( picture 3 ). So I have had to bite the bullet and use netting supplied by model shops, although the netting pattern isn’t the diamond shape that I wanted
(picture 4 ). So here is my first netted hammock crane ( pictures 5 and 6 )

IMG_1810.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5637.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5640.jpeg
 
Instructions video #39 Part 1

In this first part I fit the poop deck, and build up the final planking at the stern.
Tip: There is no guideline to show you where to fit parts PP2, so I used parts PP4 to give me a rough idea
Then I extend the wiring that will eventually go to the stern lanterns, and add the hull mouldings to the upper stern sides

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

IMG_5590.jpeg

IMG_5597.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

IMG_5604.jpeg

IMG_5605.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

IMG_5612.jpeg

IMG_5613.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5617.jpeg

IMG_5620.jpeg

IMG_5625.jpeg

IMG_5626.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Instructions video #39 Part 2

Next I continue with the top plates around the edges of the decks working forward towards the bow and making the rail at the front of the forecastle

IMG_5627.jpeg

IMG_5630.jpeg

IMG_5631.jpeg

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5645.jpeg

IMG_5646.jpeg

IMG_5647.jpeg

IMG_5648.jpeg

IMG_5649.jpeg

IMG_5650.jpeg

IMG_5651.jpeg

IMG_5652.jpeg

IMG_5653.jpeg

IMG_5654.jpeg

IMG_5655.jpeg

IMG_5656.jpeg

IMG_5657.jpeg

IMG_5658.jpeg

IMG_5659.jpeg

IMG_5660.jpeg

IMG_5661.jpeg

IMG_5662.jpeg

IMG_5663.jpeg
 
Instructions video #39 Part 3

In this final instalment I build the rails on the port and starboard sides of the forecastle

IMG_5664.jpeg

IMG_5666.jpeg

IMG_5667.jpeg

IMG_5668.jpeg

IMG_5669.jpeg

IMG_5670.jpeg

IMG_5672.jpeg

IMG_5697.jpeg
 
Instructions video #40 Part 1

In this first part I continue with adding fixtures and fittings to the poop deck.
All pretty much self explanatory
I couldn’t see the engraved line mentioned to shape the base of part PP6.A, so used the shape on PP6.B as a guide

IMG_5703.jpeg

IMG_5704.jpeg

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_5708.jpeg

IMG_5709.jpeg

IMG_5710.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5712.jpeg

IMG_5713.jpeg

IMG_5714.jpeg

IMG_5715.jpeg

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5719.jpeg

IMG_5720.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

IMG_5722.jpeg

IMG_5723.jpeg

IMG_5724.jpeg

IMG_5725.jpeg

IMG_5726.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5728.jpeg

IMG_5729.jpeg
 
Instructions video #40 Part 2

In this final part I build and fit the stairways leading from the quarter deck up to the poop deck and the rail at the forward edge of the poop deck
As my own preference I decided to pick out the mouldings on the stairs as opposed to painting them black as shown in the video

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5731.jpeg

IMG_5732.jpeg

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5739.jpeg

IMG_5740.jpeg

IMG_5742.jpeg

IMG_5743.jpeg

IMG_5744.jpeg

IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5747.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5751.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg
 
Extra holes required

I just thought I’d post this for those of you who aren’t far behind me
I’m currently doing the guns on the foc’sle and noticed there are not enough pre drilled holes in the rails for the guns rigging. There are 4 pre drilled holes on each side for the 68lb carronades, but when you study the video it appears you need 6 and it seems 2 are in the upright posts
There are none provided for the medium 12lb guns. I have just carefully managed to drill these but thought it might be easier for others if they drilled all these holes before putting the rails in place

IMG_5802.jpeg
 
Back
Top