BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

I love the detail in your work Peter. Your technical explanations are challenging but fascinating to follow.
Thanks very much, Daniel. For sure it's technical. A lot of hours above the old drawing to fully understand how everything fits together. And for the most: what first, what after that, what before that beam etc
Regards, Peter

Before making the bilge profile, some preliminary work was done:
View attachment 443710
At the start of construction I had placed an Evergreen rod from the front along the bulkheads to the back on both sides. To keep everything stably aligned.
-Installed this rod again, see arrow A. The rod was kept at the correct height with some supports. The sides of the frames followed that rod nicely.
-Then the profile of the bilge could be held outside and bended in the correct shape: running slightly upwards and following the line of the hull, see arrow B.
-Then positioned the profile at the correct angle, see inset with arrow C. The leg must rest on the reverse frames. The arm must be horizontal to place the floor on it later.

My Admiral couldn't resist taking a photo during fitting and measuring:
View attachment 443711
This won't work without tweezers.

After the necessary fitting and measuring, the bilge scale was secured to the inside of the retaining frames:
View attachment 443712
It follows the rod on the outer side neatly.

Getting started with the 1st floor beam:
View attachment 443713
Also a lot of fitting and measuring.
On the left side the end that fits into the profile in the middle of the hull. With 2 'mannetjes' (little pieces of profile).
There is a lip on the inside of the profile on the right side. To strengthen the connection in the bilge profile. The set-up pieces provided with rivets. I don't think I'll be able to reach that anymore.

Set up the starting position for alignment again and align the 1st floor profile along the wooden pin:
View attachment 443714
The profile sits tension-free between the center and the bilge profile.

Immediately check whether everything is still level:
View attachment 443715
So the construction mold was tilted again on the construction floor.

Both parts against each other:
View attachment 443716
Everything still fits and fits together.
Still 11 floor profiles to go.
Regards, Peter
Good evening Peter. And now we have the evidence needed….Mr Peter Voogt is insane…confirmed! On a serious note, what you achieve boggles the mind;). Cheers Grant

Good evening Peter. And now we have the evidence needed….Mr Peter Voogt is insane…confirmed! On a serious note, what you achieve boggles the mind;). Cheers Grant
This is a nice compliment from someone who lives on the same longitude. :rolleyes: Thanks, Grant.
My colleagues called it "Pleasantly crazy". But that was more than 5 years ago. Perhaps I am indeed transformed to that next stage ........ o_O
Regards, Peter

Amazing work, Peter, I'm impressed. You can see the finesse very clearly in the "don't sneeze" picture, a real Sisyphean task. Simply brilliant.
Thanks, Tobias, for your reply with those compliments. I am honored by naming my build as a ‘Sisyphean task’. You raised it to a new level.:)
Being like Sisyphus ;): (Quote from Wiki: The gods forced him to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll back down every time it neared the top, repeating this action for eternity. (Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean).
But I am sure I will reach the top op the hill. :rolleyes: And I am sure you pointed only at the laborious task …..
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks, Tobias, for your reply with those compliments. I am honored by naming my build as a ‘Sisyhean task’. You raised it to a new level.:)
Being like Sisyphus ;): (Quote from Wiki: The gods forced him to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll back down every time it neared the top, repeating this action for eternity. (Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean).
But I am sure I will reach the top op the hill. :rolleyes: And I am sure you pointed only at the laborious task …..
Regards, Peter
Peter, you are absolutely right. What I meant was that it is very laborious, as it is a very delicate structure. There is no sign of giving up.

What a great, accurate, and extrely technical work you are showing Peter.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks for the compliments, Peter. For sure it’s technical. I try to find the most logical construction, based on the drawings. And the information I get from that friend who used to work on the frame building floor and who still have some knowledge of this type of construction. Now I notice that being installing the bilge and the floor profiles for the forecastle, the hull got the correct shape and much more strength.
Regards, Peter

Back