BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Peter, i told you on modelbouwforum.nl already that you are doing great, and that i find it a very complex construction, but here i can also add that i am glad that not everybody likes New Herring, that leaves more for us ROTFROTF
Thanks for the compliment, Peter. And about the 'New Herring', I'm sure some have never tried. ;) Unknown makes unloved .......
Regards, Peter

Thanks for the compliment, Peter. And about the 'New Herring', I'm sure some have never tried. ;) Unknown makes unloved .......
Regards, Peter
You are right about that Peter.
I heard also that a lot of people don't like eel ( paling )as wel, because they eat also dead meat , but that is also a delicatesse overhere in the Netherlands

Not had much time to work on the Balder. But now that I have the barrels I can determine the height where the longitudinals will be, see arrow:
0180 Kimweger.jpg
This is the double angle profile that runs over the frames and provides the longitudinal connection. The support under the kossing is temporary.

With 2 more barrels on it:
0181 Kimweger.jpg
Then it runs between 2 barrels.
I don't know what the exact name is. Find 'bilge keelson' as well as 'side stringer'.
Regards, Peter

Dear Peter. In case you think I have missed your build, the answer is no. In reality, trying to read the last 12-15 pages of your build log (as I did with the other logs) served no purpose apart from confusing the living daylights out of me. No siree, I had to go right back to the beginning and even then, I believe anyone who claims to understand fully what you are doing, is fibbing. However, what I do grasp fully, is the enormity of the project. What you are doing here is beyond compare in complexity (maybe only rivaled by the hull-build of a Dutch Fluyt), but then yours is completely from scratch. The envisioning aspect of this project is what sets it apart from anything else. I think what impresses me most is your disregard of established norms and conventions by finding answers to questions that no one knew existed in the first place.

All I can say is that I am hugely impressed and - once more - is deeply moved by your considerable talent and craftmanship. I will certainly try my utmost to follow along.

Dear Peter. In case you think I have missed your build, the answer is no. In reality, trying to read the last 12-15 pages of your build log (as I did with the other logs) served no purpose apart from confusing the living daylights out of me. No siree, I had to go right back to the beginning and even then, I believe anyone who claims to understand fully what you are doing, is fibbing. However, what I do grasp fully, is the enormity of the project. What you are doing here is beyond compare in complexity (maybe only rivaled by the hull-build of a Dutch Fluyt), but then yours is completely from scratch. The envisioning aspect of this project is what sets it apart from anything else. I think what impresses me most is your disregard of established norms and conventions by finding answers to questions that no one knew existed in the first place.

All I can say is that I am hugely impressed and - once more - is deeply moved by your considerable talent and craftmanship. I will certainly try my utmost to follow along.
Dear Heinrich.
Thank you very much for your renewed visit, your substantive post and your compliments. :)
Indeed, I really had to start from "0" with just the old drawings. From the start I had the position: I'll start it and if it doesn't work out, then I'll have an experience richer. I really started it with an open mind. But I didn't make it easy for me by building the model in 2 halves.
I can fully imagine that readers of this report sometimes lose track. Again and again an adjustment to the construction plan.
I soon realized that I sometimes have to think (many) steps ahead. As an example: In my head I am already busy with the layout of the various compartments in the port side. What is and is no longer visible. That is why I no longer provide the frames in that port side with rivets.
For the time being, things are still going 'as planned' and the solutions are still available.
Regards, Peter

It took some time to show you some progress again.
The frames to fix the mast tube and kossing have been placed:
0182 33-39.jpg
These are the frames 33 to 38 and the watertight bulkhead 39.

With both parts apart:
0183 33-39.jpg
The frames 33, 35 and 37 have a deck beam that connects the kossing and the stringer plates on the side of the deck.

The whole thing is already so sturdy that I no longer need the help of bracing here:
0184 33-39.jpg
The deck round can be seen a little here. Also that the side profiles of the top of the kossing nicely follow the line of the top of the deck.

The deck round is better in view here:
0185 33-39.jpg
You can also see the 1,5 dgr. offside of the kossing.
The underside receives even more attention. I'm not satisfied with that.
That will come later when I continue with the fish holds.
They are still very flexible lengthwise when it comes to the side curve of the frames. But the bilge beams will be added later at the height of the bilge.

Now I'm going back to the forecastle to build that up:
0186 33-39 Half.jpg
The space between these 2 parts will be filled. This port side part will therefore be fully furnished.
But first install all the frames and then spray paint.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul. Keep on breathing calmly. About the complexity: you are absolutely right. It's constantly fitting, checking etc etc. There will be some replacements, but that's for later.
Is the surgery went well?
Regards, Peter
I can't see a thing - but I have been assured this will take a few months... I'm seeing patients today so apparently I am undeterred. Again, wonderful work Peter!

I am not sure what else I can add to the words of my colleagues. With the level of detail and overall complexity, you are doing as Ab said, a prachtig (Dutch) job, and your build is one (if not the only one) of the unique builds here. Bravo, mon ami!

Back