Basic Elements of Rigging

here is another one: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING SEWING THREAD

I love that word "Ultimate" Jim.
I've got some reading to do.... :cool:

I knew I had a lot to learn about rope but this is getting way too complicated. Why can't I just order some .50 rope on a large spindle? That would be so much easier than trying to make my own. I see what Signet is saying and I forgot about the compression of winding. Jimski's method of measuring sounds good too. I'll have to try that.
The question is: Do you really want "thread" or do you want scale rope for your model. The largest thread on SailRite's site is 0.0258" or 0.66mm, and will not really look like scale rope. If you want 0.5mm rope, in cotton or polyester, you can buy it from a number of places. In sizes as small as 0.20mm to over 2.0mm. My model uses 0.3 to 2.0mm sizes, in rope and cable (multiple ropes twisted together). I don't know what size of rope you need, but I'm sure it will be at least 3 sizes, probably double or triple that, in beige/tan and brown/black. Finding thread that gives you all that will be impossible, and I don't think you'd like the result.

On the other hand, quality miniature rope is expensive, on the order of 25 cents to over a dollar a yard, and my model uses over 200 yards. Here are links to some quality rope suppliers:

Amati and other model manufacturers still scale rope much cheaper, but in less sizes and colors, and IMHO not with the quality of the above. It depends on your model, your experience and your expectations as to what you use. I decided to scrap the ropes that came with my MarisStella model and buy quality rope, but that may not be your requirement or in your budget.

As to the required sizes, there are a number of spreadsheets available, and you can view an article and download the spreadsheet here at the forums:

Determination of the Correct Size of Blocks and Ropes for Your Model

Than CAN be used for some rope on a model (like ratlines and seizings), but IMHO you will want rope of some quality for your model.

I hope this helps.

The question is: Do you really want "thread" or do you want scale rope for your model. The largest thread on SailRite's site is 0.0258" or 0.66mm, and will not really look like scale rope. If you want 0.5mm rope, in cotton or polyester, you can buy it from a number of places. In sizes as small as 0.20mm to over 2.0mm. My model uses 0.3 to 2.0mm sizes, in rope and cable (multiple ropes twisted together). I don't know what size of rope you need, but I'm sure it will be at least 3 sizes, probably double or triple that, in beige/tan and brown/black. Finding thread that gives you all that will be impossible, and I don't think you'd like the result.

On the other hand, quality miniature rope is expensive, on the order of 25 cents to over a dollar a yard, and my model uses over 200 yards. Here are links to some quality rope suppliers:

Amati and other model manufacturers still scale rope much cheaper, but in less sizes and colors, and IMHO not with the quality of the above. It depends on your model, your experience and your expectations as to what you use. I decided to scrap the ropes that came with my MarisStella model and buy quality rope, but that may not be your requirement or in your budget.

As to the required sizes, there are a number of spreadsheets available, and you can view an article and download the spreadsheet here at the forums:

Determination of the Correct Size of Blocks and Ropes for Your Model

Than CAN be used for some rope on a model (like ratlines and seizings), but IMHO you will want rope of some quality for your model.

I hope this helps.
Amati rope is not as fine a quality as rope from Ropes of Scale or Dray Dock Model & Parts. The strands are ill defined and coarse.

Back