Basic Elements of Rigging

Hi Fright,
let me look into this. I live near a coast that does a lot of shrimping and I will see. I am thinking that some of those cables (in today's time) would be more like steel cabling. If that is the case, then I know that places like Hobby Lobby have string (for beading) that looks just like miniature steel wire.
If your thinking steel cables think fishing tackle shops. Light weight braided and twisted steel fishing leader lines make nice rigging lines.

Last edited:
I have been searching for a thread company where I can buy larger spools of thread so I don't run out. There are tons of thread company's out there but nobody calls their thread sizes by millimeters or inches. The thread companies seem to have their own way of describing their thread sizes and there is no way to convert these sizes to millimeters. I figure that I need .25 .50 and .75 size thread for my Cutty Sark but I have no idea as to how to order that size. Wawak co. is about the best and they are in the USA so that means a bit cheaper and no customs to go through that take forever. Gutterman makes thread that looks good but their sizes are designated by T numbers; T-103 for instance but I have no idea what millimeter that is. Wawak sells Gutterman which is made in Germany and shipps from the USA.) What do you all do in this situation? How do you order thread?

Last edited:
I have been searching for a thread company where I can buy larger spools of thread so I don't run out. There are tons of thread company's out there but nobody calls their thread sizes by millimeters or inches. The thread companies seem to have their own way of describing their thread sizes and there is no way to convert these sizes to millimeters. I figure that I need .25 .50 and .75 size thread for my Cutty Sark but I have no idea as to how to order that size. Wawak co. is about the best and they are in the USA so that means a bit cheaper and no customs to go through that take forever. Gutterman makes thread that looks good but their sizes are designated by T numbers; T-103 for instance but I have no idea what millimeter that is. Wawak sells Gutterman which is made in Germany and shipps from the USA.) What do you all do in this situation? How do you order thread?

I don't know what I've done here but just read the top post. Don't seem to be able to cancel the bottom two so I'd better leave well enough alone.Pete

You can look up thread data using the thread size i.e. Tex 70...
Be careful because some list thread circumference vs diameter

Screenshot_20231212-184020_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231212-184453_Chrome.jpg

That's a big step in the right direction Philski. I haven't been using nylon but maybe I should. Will it stay when glued with Titebond? I can't use CA as I'm allergic to the fumes. However I am using Poly thread so how do I get that info? Also do you order all these from one supplier? Norgale

That's a big step in the right direction Philski. I haven't been using nylon but maybe I should. Will it stay when glued with Titebond? I can't use CA as I'm allergic to the fumes. However I am using Poly thread so how do I get that info? Also do you order all these from one supplier? Norgale
I was not advocating the use of nylon, but trying to illustrate how to find thread sizing specs....this is just one example.

OK but let me ask you this; If I take three strands of .25 thread and twist them all together will I have .75 thread?
I don't think it is that easy. The thickness depends on many factors when you try to wind there or more strands together. Please check our discussions (we have multiple) about making the rope for rigging lines. We have more than a few experts to help you address those questions.

If you want to measure the diameter of the ropes, the simple way is: to turn the thread 10 times around the half-inch dowel, you can even use your finger. Then, measure the length and divide by 10. The result is the diameter of your thread.

I don't think it is that easy. The thickness depends on many factors when you try to wind there or more strands together. Please check our discussions (we have multiple) about making the rope for rigging lines. We have more than a few experts to help you address those questions.

If you want to measure the diameter of the ropes, the simple way is: to turn the thread 10 times around the half-inch dowel, you can even use your finger. Then, measure the length and divide by 10. The result is the diameter of your thread.
well said Jimsky. I have never done it myself

OK but let me ask you this; If I take three strands of .25 thread and twist them all together will I have .75 thread?
No. Theoretically, the diameter of a 3-strand rope will be 2.15 times the diameter of each strand:
1702485171509.png
Or in your case, about .54mm for three .25mm threads. However, in practice, the threads will deform somewhat during making, and the true shape of the resulting rope would be more of a triangle with rounded corners, than a circle, so the apparent size would be closer to 0.5mm or less, depending on the viewing angle.

I knew I had a lot to learn about rope but this is getting way too complicated. Why can't I just order some .50 rope on a large spindle? That would be so much easier than trying to make my own. I see what Signet is saying and I forgot about the compression of winding. Jimski's method of measuring sounds good too. I'll have to try that.

You can look up thread data using the thread size i.e. Tex 70...
Be careful because some list thread circumference vs diameter

View attachment 413679View attachment 413680
Philski can you give me the .com name to find the thread sizes in Poly thread? I can convert the diameter in inches to millimeters and find the right size (or closest size) of thread that I'm looking for. I just don't know where to look. Hey, is it snowing out there?Norgale

Закреплять узлы можно шеллаком. Шеллак растворяется в этиловом спирте. Вслучае если нужно развязать узел его нужно смочить спиртом и шеллак растворится.

here is another one: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING SEWING THREAD

Back