Basic Elements of Rigging

Roglyn

Thanks for all your articles on the rigging I am up to that stage on my Harvey and am sure all the tips and hints will help me greatly.
Regards Roger

Donnie

Systems Administrator
Staff member
Systems Administrator
Blandford Group Build

Hello John,
that is correct. I do not remember mentioning the installation order. My intent was just a 'basic' summary of the difference between standing, running and sail management. According to Wolfram Zu Monfeld, yes, he does show that the Shrouds are all installed first, then the stays are looped over the entire shroud pairs. This is where the "Tensioning" of the stays come into play by pulling any slack out of the Shrouds, especially if the Mast is being pulled back too much. But if the Mast is being pulled back to much, then the Shroud pairs are probably too tight anyways.
Thank you for your input. And BTW - there is so much more to rigging. Many more terms and applications than what is mentioned in my short article. There are MANY things to remember when rigging the first parts of a ship.

neptune

Sorry Donnie, it was just that you said as below,

Below is, in my opinion, is a good order of things with the first item mentioned would be the FIRST thing to rig up:

STANDING RIGGING (Stationary)

• All Stays. All Stays support the mast running in the CENTER of the ship from Fore to Aft. For instance, a "Stay" will run from the very top foremast down to the bowsprit tip
It's not a biggie, I just didn't want builder's getting the wrong idea,

Best regards John,

cuttyjimr

Doing a Billings Cutty Sark that I purchased in London in 1972 while on our honeymoon.

I have discarded the factory rigging sheets as they were almost worthless. Got the plans from the museum and blew them up on an engineering copier at my former place of toil. My go to is "Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier" by Harold Underhill. I think I got it through Alibris.com, which is a consortium of used book sellers. Gets into more detail than I need, but well worth it.

By the time of construction of the Cutty Sark, wire rope/cable had all but replaced tarred hemp for standing rigging. I used black rope on all my standing rigging, as this is the color of wire. Coincidence that it is the same color as tarred hemp? Due to its increased strength, the standing rigging is smaller than older ships, which I think most people on this site build.

My two cents.
Jim Regan

Fright

Thanks for everyone's comments and information on rigging. The one book I have for any reference is "Rigging Period Ship models" by Lennarth Petersson. It is very informative book primarily for ships of sail. It has very little information about the type of lines and/or cables that would be used on board a modern shrimper. I've already learned some useful information from everyone's posts. Ship-1