Batavia kit building by Janos [COMPLETED BUILD]

Not too much change but here is Batavia's state today. The masts are dry fit yet, I am about to mark the deadeye's positions, installing the deadeyes and then installing the gunport covers before I proceed with further rigging. Changes will definitely be more visible from now on.
Janos

DSC_1309.JPGDSC_1310.JPG

I think the reason for this might be in most cases that we got used to our own and we prefer to use it. And, there is also a fear that the supplied quantity might not be enough...
János
I use my own too and parts of other kit builders . I am away in Queensland at the moment and will post some of my achievements so far , also I used Indian black ink for the deadeyes on the chain plates , so there is a personal to each and one of them and am sure the ‘Gentlemen 7 of the VOC’ wouldn’t mind

Looks very well in a la natural , are you going to fit the 3d ornaments ? or just leave as is , in your case I would leave them off , they are not great quality and definitely not without a bit of colour , cheers Rob
Yes, Robert, the 3D ornaments will be used. Generally I am not very much for this but I have to agree with Hans on this. To this scale carving would be very difficult and I have to admit that I would not be able to produce more detailed decorations for Batavia. And those heads are not so bad at all... but I am not sure what will remain of the details after a few coats of painting (primer and a new coat at least, then probably some wash).
Actually the colour scheme will be somehow mixed. Golden figure head, yellow ochre for anything else and muted colours on the tafferel. I am eager to find out how it will work...
János

Yes, Robert, the 3D ornaments will be used. Generally I am not very much for this but I have to agree with Hans on this. To this scale carving would be very difficult and I have to admit that I would not be able to produce more detailed decorations for Batavia. And those heads are not so bad at all... but I am not sure what will remain of the details after a few coats of painting (primer and a new coat at least, then probably some wash).
Actually the colour scheme will be somehow mixed. Golden figure head, yellow ochre for anything else and muted colours on the tafferel. I am eager to find out how it will work...
János
When in your shoes I would carve them in Boxwood en with only a stain/finish on them they could look fantastic. You have the skills and it would be fun. But you are the captain.

János
Maybe (or more probably) not yet known to everybody, but the complete ornament set for the Batavia has been re-designed and is now completely 3D printed.
János was/is one of the first builders who has received this new set of ornaments, so let's wait what will come out of it :).
I'll bet you're in for a surprise.

Not too much change but here is Batavia's state today. The masts are dry fit yet, I am about to mark the deadeye's positions, installing the deadeyes and then installing the gunport covers before I proceed with further rigging. Changes will definitely be more visible from now on.
Janos

View attachment 395316View attachment 395317
I am pretty much very pleased by this photo :)

I am on the running rigging now and it goes painfully slowly. The quality of the plans helps a lot, although the standing rigging was a bit better documented. The 'authentic' blocks, supplied with the kit, are of very good quality, and I just hope the quantity will be enough. I am not doing sails so hopefully I am not going to run out of them. With the deadeyes I had a problem as the smaller diameter (4 mm) ran out and I had still quite a few of the big ones (5 mm) remaining. So I had to use a few big ones at places
20231220_161214.jpg

where the small ones were marked. Repeating myself but I still have to praise the quality of the plans, first of all that of the masts and yards and the standing rigging.
(Oops, I left the cursor in a bad position when I inserted the picture, which does not show too much about the running rigging at all)
János

Merry Christmas again!

I am on the running rigging now and it goes painfully slowly. The quality of the plans helps a lot, although the standing rigging was a bit better documented. The 'authentic' blocks, supplied with the kit, are of very good quality, and I just hope the quantity will be enough. I am not doing sails so hopefully I am not going to run out of them. With the deadeyes I had a problem as the smaller diameter (4 mm) ran out and I had still quite a few of the big ones (5 mm) remaining. So I had to use a few big ones at places
View attachment 416056

where the small ones were marked. Repeating myself but I still have to praise the quality of the plans, first of all that of the masts and yards and the standing rigging.
(Oops, I left the cursor in a bad position when I inserted the picture, which does not show too much about the running rigging at all)
János

Merry Christmas again!
I really like your build , so professional , this is my version of the ‘Batavia’ , still working on the standing rigging , anyway one anchor so far , nearly Christmas Janos , all the best wishes from my side , Rob

IMG_2500.jpeg

Back