Batavia kit building by Janos [COMPLETED BUILD]

Batavia is finally ready, only the base has yet to be assembled. This is a modified (not necessarily to the better) Kolderstock kit. As usual, the errors turn up only after I do something and there is no way back. I think every one of us knows this feeling. In general, I would say that the kit is good, it only needs a bit of use to it (first of all the Oak material). As far as I could see on the photos of the earlier kits Kolderstock made quite a few modifications and all for the better. So with my very limited kit experience, I would say the quality of the kit is 7 out of 10 and the difficulty building it is 4 out of 5.
The model still has to find its way to Tasmania and I am quite worried about this as yet.
JanosDSC_1317.JPGDSC_1318.JPGDSC_1319.JPGDSC_1320.JPGDSC_1321.JPGDSC_1322.JPGDSC_1323.JPGDSC_1325.JPG

Well, I can only say you did a wonderful job!
Thanks, Hans!
Unfortunately it took much longer than I thought to build Batavia and I can blame only myself for that. Now it looks like the Client agreed to the TNT delivery option so I don't have to drive 2500 kms plus two ferry rides. Phew!
As I mentioned above I was happy with the quality of the kit and very happy with the service you provided.
János

I started making wooden kits when I was eleven (I'm 61 now) and these where mostly Billing Boats kits. Affordable for me, and a quality which was in my opinion good, but with instructions which were almost none.
Since then there are many more kit manufacturers, with much higher quality, and very affordable prices.
I did not really realise that when I started to think of becoming a kit manufacturer. I only had noticed there were not that many Dutch ships on the market and there was definitely an audience for these.
So I started, and worked myself through a rather steep learning curve. The Batavia was the first one to be released, and it has some flaws in it.
Plans cannot be changed anymore f.i. because these where made by an external company/person. So I need to re-draw them myself, but this is so much time-consuming I need 8 days per week of 28 hours.
Instructions are another thing. I made my first Billing Boats kit with almost no instructions, but nowadays builders like to have a photo booklet and every step to be described in every detail. This is also a thing which has improved for all the newer Kolderstok kits, but still is a thing for the Batavia.

Where I can (and try to) make the difference is in support during a build. Everyone who is busy with a Kolderstok kit can always ask me (via email) for help when something is not clear, and I always try to give an answer within one day. And this is often very much appreciated by many!

And János, you made a beautiful model out of the kit - with a very nice and high quality appearance. Your customer will be very pleased I think :)

Hans

Last edited:
Congratulations also from my side - you made a great model
I am crossing all fingers, that the transport will work well without any damages

Dear Janos. Congratulations on the completion of the Batavia. In my eyes you have created a beautiful model with an extremely integrated look to it. I KNOW that your customer will be extremely pleased with his model.

I for one am very happy that @Kolderstok Hans went the 3D route on the ornaments as I'm sure that will only enhance the overall look. I have a love/hate relationship with oak. I don't like the fact that it is more brittle than walnut, neither do I like the grain which on some parts are just out of scale (again, in my opinion). However, I love how it takes sanding - I can get the planking seams seamless with oak, whilst the finished look (especially with the CLOU) is to die for. And as you said about the service you received - top notch in every respect.

Batavia is finally ready, only the base has yet to be assembled. This is a modified (not necessarily to the better) Kolderstock kit. As usual, the errors turn up only after I do something and there is no way back. I think every one of us knows this feeling. In general, I would say that the kit is good, it only needs a bit of use to it (first of all the Oak material). As far as I could see on the photos of the earlier kits Kolderstock made quite a few modifications and all for the better. So with my very limited kit experience, I would say the quality of the kit is 7 out of 10 and the difficulty building it is 4 out of 5.
The model still has to find its way to Tasmania and I am quite worried about this as yet.
JanosView attachment 429645View attachment 429646View attachment 429647View attachment 429648View attachment 429649View attachment 429650View attachment 429651View attachment 429653
Well done Janos ! A master piece for sure , yes flaws , I noticed a flaw on my ‘Batavia ‘ not that it matters , and cannot be reversed , it will be something I know and nobody else , anyway the client will be very happy with the result I am sure ! Take care Rob

That is a great looking model that you have crafted! It seems every time I sign in on the forum I find myself thinking of the fantastic craftsmanship of the members. And yours is a prime example. Thank you for posting

Back