Belle Poule 1780 1:72 - Sail and Sail Model by zoly99sask

Hi Zoly,
It looks very impressive. A interesting new kind of building proces (for me). But those plastic items in the front and back ....... Mmm ...... ;)
My chair is still in front of the screen!
Regards, Peter

But those plastic items in the front and back ....... Mmm ...... ;)
Hello Peter, those plastic bits are great to help with the assembly. They are molded as the bow and stern feeler pieces and have the etching marks for the planks. Together with scored hull planks, it will make a breeze to plank the hull.

Hello Peter, those plastic bits are great to help with the assembly. They are molded as the bow and stern feeler pieces and have the etching marks for the planks. Together with scored hull planks, it will make a breeze to plank the hull.
Aha …. And later you won’t see them. Just to use as a mold.
Regards, Peter

Aha …. And later you won’t see them. Just to use as a mold.
Regards, Peter
Precisely correct, Peter. They will be covered with outside\inside planks to form a nice hull. The kit is based a single layer hull planks. They are reasonably thick 1.65mm, but very pliable after a hot water stream for few minutes.

So, how do you cut the gunports out of that almost solid bulwarks area(s)? Traditional drill and file method?

So, how do you cut the gunports out of that almost solid bulwarks area(s)? Traditional drill and file method?
There are templates for the gunports and I think drilling and files will be the method ,also there are gunport frames in the kit

Last edited:
I was hoping that they would have invented a new way of doing the gunports, I guess they could have made the entire bulwark areas like the bow and stern out of plastic and then just frame the ports and cover with wood planking but that might be too much of a deviation for a wood ship model…. Still, there is some cool outside the box engineering going on….

hello guys, how many of this kit have been purchased by our members? I am considering adding it to my other two ships waiting for their time to build. Zoly can you tell us. Summer has come to an end, and now I have more time to build the two ships that are presently in drydock.

Hello Smelly, I am not sure, as we don't have the exact number. But I think, it is about 5 or 6 people including myself.
In my opinion, it is a great kit of a very elegant\beautiful ship. It is made from Pearwood and spotted lots of laser\CNC parts. You can build out -of -the box, but there are ways to build your own version model. ;)

Hello Smelly, I am not sure, as we don't have the exact number. But I think, it is about 5 or 6 people including myself.
In my opinion, it is a great kit of a very elegant\beautiful ship. It is made from Pearwood and spotted lots of laser\CNC parts. You can build out -of -the box, but there are ways to build your own version model. ;)
I can second Jim’s opinion

I have say this is truely facinating. It's great to see a different type of build process. This forum has the most diverse kit builds I have ever seen. MORE!
I agree with the diversity of kits' approaches to model building as we here have a transition and melding phase between traditional wood and contemporary 3-D plastic/resin model parts. She is looking very nice. Rich

Back