Black Pearl By ZHL build

Nice progress! Please keep doing it!

Preety bild so far, it seems as you only have a problem whith the cannonoports i belive?,.
As i have read on other bildforums here, it look as the ZHL kits are the ones whith less problems,
I am also planing to by a ZHL kit, it vil be my nekst prosjekt, Soleil Royale.

Preety bild so far, it seems as you only have a problem whith the cannonoports i belive?,.
As i have read on other bildforums here, it look as the ZHL kits are the ones whith less problems,
I am also planing to by a ZHL kit, it vil be my nekst prosjekt, Soleil Royale.
Thank you for the complement
yes that was a little issue, but easily fixed. I find most ship kits lack in that area for some reason. Max at ZHL is great, easy to work with and he will get your kit to you so fast you will swear he lives right down the street from you. I'm pretty happy with the purchase and so far the build has gone pretty well, all in all I'd buy another kit from him without hesitation.

Before I get to far ahead of myself I wanted to get the cannons started as they need to be placed and rigged before the masts are installed. So I'm now working in both there were no extras to rig cannons and I debated if I should or not, I decided to do it just because.
I got to work tapering all the Yards and getting them painted
20181206_203656.jpg20181209_121443.jpg20181209_185117.jpg
I started installing the Blocks on the Yards Pictured above
Below I assembled all the carriages Painted the cannons and carriages I am waiting on small blocks to rig them with
20181207_200520.jpg20181207_205728.jpg20181207_205848.jpg20181209_121552.jpg
Needed to make some rigging so I took some of the scrap wood and made some wood rings used a round Micro file to file in a groove for the served Rope to sit in
20181201_225157.jpg20181201_225420.jpg20181201_225630.jpg20181207_221634.jpg
Have of the rigging part completed pictured above. I really wanted to be further along on this build but work has been crazy for the past couple weeks with no end to the madness in sight. Oh well overtime means extra cash for more stuff the wife says I don't need. I was given a Cross section kit by Mamoli of the USS Constitution and asked to build it ASAP the person wanting it unfortunately is My Boss. I explained to him I have way to many projects in the works to take on another right now. and was asked to see what I can do and that it will be worth my time. Heaven knows what that means, but I guess I need to get it started, it will unfortunately push back my Blandford Build. Figured I'd take the time to Bash that kit a bit but since he wants it fast we will see how it goes. I will create a log for that build once its under way.

I looked it over today lucky I am able to understand how the brains work at Mamoli otherwise it would be confusing I really want to put what time I have right now into completing the Black Pearl mast parts. I was going to hop on the Blandford build and get everything planked on the lower end from the keel to the lowest deck framing. I guess ill work to get the mast parts complete and start that build. I don't want to just throw it together and give it to him so I'll do what I can to improve what the kit has and give him a nice build. gonna have to do some research for that vessel and that section of the ship. like I really have time for that right now lol I get some free time during the work day for breaks so guess I'll look up the info during that time

Got my eyebolts in the carriages and painted them
20181214_191657.jpg20181214_191726.jpg
Started making Hooks and shackles will be using the tiny hooks for the carriage rigging and the larger hooks for mast rigging shackles will be used where needed
20181215_093202.jpg20181215_094335.jpg20181215_123727.jpg20181215_123816.jpgHopefully I'll get my 3mm blocks for the cannons tomorrow so I can get those installed I'll be making the Breeching ropes today for all the cannons and installing all the eyebolts in the Bulwarks

Great progress, Joe! I am looking to see your breeching ropes work as I am at the same stage now. Will you do full rigging for the cannons?

Last edited:
Hello Jim Thanx for the Complement, Yes I will be doing a full rigging of the cannons. I just wrapped up all the hooks I will need for the ship and I have all the eyebolts installed in the bulwarks I'll start making up the Breeching ropes in a little bit

one done 9 more to go. To figure out the length I place the cannon on the bulwark for the breeching ropes I use hooks as apposed to eyes basically just an eyebolt opened up enough to slip a loop onto. the first loop I make off the cannon its the standard loop and serve. I run the other end of the rope through the rings on the cannon carriage loop the rope around the back of the cannon and pull a loop around the other hook on the bulwark I give the rope a little slack you don't want it tight there should be slack in the rope. I hold that loop with a small alligator clip so it doesn't slip and remove the cannon so serving the loop will be easier. once complete I test fit it if it fits the way I want I open the rings on the carriage and remove the rope to be measured center of eye to center of eye I use that measurement to make the rest of my Breeching ropes. I install them by opening the rings on the carriage slip the rope in and close the rings back up easy peasy
20181215_211319.jpg20181215_211627.jpg20181215_211709.jpg
my Blocks are OTW should come tomorrow sometime I'll rig those and show how I do that as well

Hi Joe,
I have caught up w your build. Mighty impressive. Love the mast work. The deadeye jig is brilliant. I might have to use your idea if you don’t mind. This is really going to be a nice one when finished. You have a lot of energy brother. I can only do about 2 hours at a time. I am 15 years older than my wife as she is Filipino. I am worried about retirement as she might turn me into a housekeeper while she’s at work. I am 61 and she is 46. But she looks 20. Ppl think she my daughter. Oh well so much for that. We have no children.

I figured I'd show how I was making the Breeching rope rigs. Its not perfect but it works, its fast and most importantly its easy enough that anyone can do it. I use a fly tiers Bobbin for this, but you can also just wrap the serving with your fingers.
First thing I did was Grab a loop in the rope I pinch it with tweezers and turn the loop down so that when I put the tiniest drop of CA on it it will not wick up the rope
20181216_104528.jpg
I then grabbed another bit with the tweezers about 1/4' up from the loop keeping it held down so it wont wick up I put just the tiniest drop of CA on the line
20181216_104649.jpg
What all of this does is stiffen the area to be served and once it is stiff from the CA you can hold it easily while you take your serving wraps around it.
20181216_104744.jpg
I pinch the line between my thumb and index finger I slip the serving line through the loop and hold it securely along side the stiffened part.
20181216_104911.jpg
I take wraps around the lines to serve them and lock down the serving line I put through the loop.
20181216_104944.jpg
When I get to where I want it I overhand knot the line in place and lock it with another tiny drop of CA. clip off tag ends and this is what I have when its all done.
20181216_105317.jpg
there you have it easy to do for anyone I recommend getting a fly tiers bobbin if you don't have one as it makes serving ship lines pretty easy. Buy one with ceramic guides to prevent having the bobbin cut your line when you pull it tight. This can all be done on a serving jig like this one below, but not everyone has one, the way I show it done you don't need it.
s-l1600.jpg

Hi Joe,
I have caught up w your build. Mighty impressive. Love the mast work. The deadeye jig is brilliant. I might have to use your idea if you don’t mind. This is really going to be a nice one when finished. You have a lot of energy brother. I can only do about 2 hours at a time. I am 15 years older than my wife as she is Filipino. I am worried about retirement as she might turn me into a housekeeper while she’s at work. I am 61 and she is 46. But she looks 20. Ppl think she my daughter. Oh well so much for that. We have no children.
Thank you for the Complements Brother. My wife is only 2 years younger then me but she looks much younger. A lot of folks ask me about her age I just tell them I've had a much harder life then she did lol she was always a stay at home mom and didn't work till my daughter who is my youngest was done with school. Life for me is certainly easier now that she works. I have house work that helps her out since she does all the cooking clothes and major cleaning so I do what I can to help out keeps her happy. I am still a ways off from retirement and I don't know that once I'm able, that I actually will I'm a busy body have to be doing something every waking moment. I at most get 5 hours sleep a night. While its probably not good for me, I've been in that funk for 30+ years and I'm still kicking so I'll probably do it till the day I die lol I am set in my ways and to stubborn to change.

Well I ran into a problem with rigging blocks on the carriages there just isn't enough room for them between the eye on the carriage and the Bulwark even with using the 3mm blocks I will look for a way to make it happen, but it's not looking good so the only rigging may be just the Breeching ropes. It's very Disappointing after all the work making the hooks and hand sanding the little 3mm blocks to round the edges.

Just finished reading through your progress thus far on this build, I have to say a big thanks for logging everything, it is really appreciated.

I'm a complete amateur and whilst very good with my hands I've spent most of my life in computers. Modelling has been restricted to plastic.

I've been disappointed with plastic ship kits in general and always amazed by the quality of wooden kits real hobbyists like yourself can build and modify. I'll purchase this Z H L kit soon but I suspect I'll have to go through a lot of training and simpler builds until I'm ready to attempt it. Hopefully I can talk to some members on here or look at existing threads to see what tools I should stat out with and some cheaper and simpler kits I can attempt before this one.

The planking looks really daunting and short of buying two kits I don't want to risk wrecking the parts.

Sorry to rant on, again just wanted to say thanks for taking the effort to post all of your progress, it is really helpful.

Research your kit of the Black pearl before you buy it. There are many variations of the same kit. As they improved the kit with plans and parts the older ones are still for sale and are not a good as the most recent offering.

Just finished reading through your progress thus far on this build, I have to say a big thanks for logging everything, it is really appreciated.

I'm a complete amateur and whilst very good with my hands I've spent most of my life in computers. Modelling has been restricted to plastic.

I've been disappointed with plastic ship kits in general and always amazed by the quality of wooden kits real hobbyists like yourself can build and modify. I'll purchase this Z H L kit soon but I suspect I'll have to go through a lot of training and simpler builds until I'm ready to attempt it. Hopefully I can talk to some members on here or look at existing threads to see what tools I should stat out with and some cheaper and simpler kits I can attempt before this one.

The planking looks really daunting and short of buying two kits I don't want to risk wrecking the parts.

Sorry to rant on, again just wanted to say thanks for taking the effort to post all of your progress, it is really helpful.
Thank you for you kind words. The hull of the Black pearl makes the planking a bit tricky. I have been building ships for 11 years and have a lot of ships under my belt the hull design on the black pearl is the first one I've seen with tricky lines. For your first build you have come to the right place. This forum is chock full of helpful folks from all walks of life and with some serious skill levels. I would try to build something in the simple kits first you will gain a ton of knowledge in areas that will help later on such as reading the plan set and production order or order of assembly. Some folks start with a model that ends up being more then they can process this leads to frustration and eventually shelving of the model kit some folks will have another go at it later but most will not. IMO its best to start at your skill level as each build you complete from there will give you confidence for another. Another way to do it is to buy the ship kit you want start the kit if you run into issues come here we can help, but if you get discouraged set it aside get a simpler kit to build and come back to the difficult one you may find the simple kit helped you figure out a way to proceed on the harder one.

You have modeling skill from plastic offerings so assembly order is something you already know. Computers require some deep thinking and problem solving so your good on that front if your working with computers. We post up build logs here for folks to not only see how we as modelers build things and show off skills, but also for others to have a guide to follow if they choose the same kit. There is nothing wrong with following to the letter another persons build. You learn things along the way. most folks don't mind because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As Dave mentioned there are many versions of the Black Pearl kit I recommend buying directly from ZHL he has several kits of the model one is the offering I have called the Golden version he has one more advanced with opened sections to look at the insides of the ships compartments. I would have went for the open version had it been for me but the kit is for my Grandson so I chose to do the less complicated version which he probably wouldn't understand anyhow. I wish you the best on your decision and move to wood builds. We are here to help in any way we can

Back