Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Putting on the rat lines for the lower shrouds of the foremast. Then I will do the upper shrouds. Then finally the side stays.
View attachment 254593
I am interested in how you will bring the falls down to the belaying pins on the rails and masts having to work from around the ratted shrouds? I have to do that from the opposite side with a long copper wire push and pull tool attaching those to the belaying pins. I am also going one additional step by placing a faux rope end hank on each belaying pin. Sails in the way definitely present an obstacle. Your work remains clean and crisp. Rich

Hi Dean;
I am curious (and I am figuring out how to search specific areas). About the scale 1:72 that this model is in. Have you checked the scale that it is correct on the length of hull and the other measurements. (I dont have the drawings (yet) so that I can check the scale) of this actual model. My model should be coming in the next few weeks. The overall hull length 143'-0" (23.881 in) is difficult to measure as there are no LOA lines on any drawing I can find.. but the length of the water line 112'-0" (18.256") is easier to measure as is the beam 27' (or 4.509 in ). Your work on your model is something to strive for indeed.

Last edited:
Hi Dean;
I am curious (and I am figuring out how to search specific areas). About the scale 1:72 that this model is in. Have you checked the scale that it is correct on the length of hull and the other measurements. (I dont have the drawings (yet) so that I can check the scale) of this actual model. My model should be coming in the next few weeks. The overall hull length 143'-0" (23.881 in) is difficult to measure as there are no LOA lines on any drawing I can find.. but the length of the water line 112'-0" (18.256") is easier to measure as is the beam 27' (or 4.509 in ). Your work on your model is something to strive for indeed.
Thank you. I did not verify the dimensions of the model to the scale, I just trusted it was 1/72 scale. I modeled the anchors and ships wheel in 1/72 scale, and they appear to be the appropriate size relative to the model. ;)

Treasure your granddaughter...
Yes, grandchildren don't stay in that state for long . . . . a teacher told my wife when our children were young that some times it would be nice to put them into a freezer until they come out of the argumentative adolescent stage and are as enjoyable tot be with as when they were younger. We loved every day and year of our own. I'll bet that you do also. RIch

My granddaughter is so cute, she asked me “Nonno, how come your ship has freckles?” :p
View attachment 254653
I do like the way your ratlines look. What knots did you use?

With my rebuild I had quite some issues with the deadeyes of the shroud attachment, even when using a simple tool to maintain the pitch between two deadeyes and simultaneously have sufficient tension on the shrouds. How did you deal with this issue?

77169DEF-E66F-4740-97FF-C952C3D1A41D.jpeg

Last edited:
I do like the way your ratlines look. What knots did you use?

With my rebuild I had quite some issues with the deadeyes of the shroud attachment, even when using a simple tool to maintain the pitch between two deadeyes and simultaneously have sufficient tension on the shrouds. How did you deal with this issue?

View attachment 255128
Well I can say making deadeyes perfectly even is near impossible! I showed my technique previously, a page back I think? I use a spacer wire to determine the shroud length when wrapped around the upper deadeye, and they are done in pairs. But then you have to tension them, and that’s where they can get uneven on you. Proper tension is more important than the distance. But I think your spacing looks very good!
I use a clove hitch on the rat lines, and a lanyard hitch on the rope for tensioning the deadeyes.
769F98AA-62B1-4FDD-AA88-8BDC238B8BCE.jpeg304E791F-7796-4848-8C0A-6923D96732DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I can say making deadeyes perfectly even is near impossible! I showed my technique previously, a page back I think? I use a spacer wire to determine the shroud length when wrapped around the upper deadeye, and they are done in pairs. But then you have to tension them, and that’s where they can get uneven on you. Proper tension is more important than the distance.
I use a clove hitch on the rat lines, and a lanyard hitch on the rope for tensioning the deadeyes.
View attachment 255134View attachment 255135

Back