Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sometimes I wonder what I’ve got myself into! At this point I am spending more time studying rigging plans, than I am building…sigh. But I have to make sure I haven’t left anything off the mast I will need later. And all blocks have to be determined, as to whether they are single, double or triple.
Anyway, after a lot of studying, I think I have everything covered. And I spent time today making the upper mast band and stropping blocks and adding scratch built hooks. Fun stuff! ;)
And a special thanks to Dry Dock for the awesome pear wood blocks! The grooves help make stropping them so much easier!
D40A71D2-4184-494E-8915-D801778DC350.jpeg0A657E91-A382-4B40-B70D-75682C6EC218.jpeg1CBDFCEB-79DE-4EDB-B3F0-74B2DC47FFA5.jpeg

Ahhh YES. Rigging.
As a sailor of the black oil boiler generation, I know absolutely nothing about and have little understanding of rigging and sails.
I usually forego the sails and represent my ships/boats in the dockside rigged configuration - standing rigging, running rigging as it might be after taking in sails, and sails stored - either removed and stored or furled and lashed to the booms/masts/stays as indicated for the particular boat.

I'll be watching your presentation with the eye of a student observing the master.

EJ

Sometimes I wonder what I’ve got myself into! At this point I am spending more time studying rigging plans, than I am building…sigh. But I have to make sure I haven’t left anything off the mast I will need later. And all blocks have to be determined, as to whether they are single, double or triple.
Anyway, after a lot of studying, I think I have everything covered. And I spent time today making the upper mast band and stropping blocks and adding scratch built hooks. Fun stuff! ;)
Great job, my friend! Specifically those small details, you are not often seeing on the kit models, made the model complete and attractive. The research you have to made is well worth the time spent, and the blocks, as much as they perfectly made, look much better on your mast! Bravo Mon Amie!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Ahhh YES. Rigging.
As a sailor of the black oil boiler generation, I know absolutely nothing about and have little understanding of rigging and sails.
I usually forego the sails and represent my ships/boats in the dockside rigged configuration - standing rigging, running rigging as it might be after taking in sails, and sails stored - either removed and stored or furled and lashed to the booms/masts/stays as indicated for the particular boat.

I'll be watching your presentation with the eye of a student observing the master.

EJ
I don’t know about the master part…lol. :p
I’m figuring it out as I go! I have so much reference material at this point, I need to sort it all out!
First I did square sails on the Norske Love, then lateen sails on the Cazador, and now a schooner! And they are all different! So I have no gained insight, other than the basics! I guess it’s better than nothing. But each ship feels like my first build, when it comes to how it is rigged…sigh!

Great job, my friend! Specifically those small details, you are not often seeing on the kit models, made the model complete and attractive. The research you have to made is well worth the time spent, and the blocks, as much as they perfectly made, look much better on your mast! Bravo Mon Amie!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Thank you Jimsky! I am trying to do it right…lol

And finally the metal protective sleeve around the mast base where the boom turns. I used a piece of aluminum foil…lol. Put some pin holes to simulate nails or screws, whichever they used? Then roughed it a little with super fine sandpaper. Holes aren’t perfectly straight…sigh. But the real ones probably aren’t either?
Also a few overall pics.I just have two blocks on the upper mast to make and then I need to finish the stand and mount the ship before I start the shroud lines. ;)
C155DFDE-0CD2-4F18-8CBB-1AC4D6A30448.jpegF21F37B2-D166-4E15-AD4B-B6DC1D674F91.jpeg504C6F23-9E4C-4C07-91F9-A3BB101EF6F1.jpeg71736C3A-3A6D-4B7F-ADD2-AC017A539477.jpeg

And finally the metal protective sleeve around the mast base where the boom turns. I used a piece of aluminum foil…lol. Put some pin holes to simulate nails or screws, whichever they used? Then roughed it a little with super fine sandpaper. Holes aren’t perfectly straight…sigh. But the real ones probably aren’t either?
Also a few overall pics.I just have two blocks on the upper mast to make and then I need to finish the stand and mount the ship before I start the shroud lines. ;)
View attachment 241564View attachment 241565View attachment 241566View attachment 241567
Well, I'm new to the hobby but this is the first time I have seen AL foil used on a model ship. Brilliant!

View attachment 241564View attachment 241565View attachment 241566View attachment 241567
She continues very well under your skilled hands. The foremast is a bit more complex with the forward stays, halyards, and down hauls all coming into play. You'll have fun with those and the bowsprit fittings. Rich

She continues very well under your skilled hands. The foremast is a bit more complex with the forward stays, halyards, and down hauls all coming into play. You'll have fun with those and the bowsprit fittings. Rich
Thanks Rich! Yes…I’ve been studying and that foremast is even more busy! Yikes! It is different at the base ( to hold the boom), and there is no futtock shroud supports like on the main…but more stuff overall.
And of course the bowsprit has a lot going on too! But I get to use my turnbuckles. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I'm new to the hobby but this is the first time I have seen AL foil used on a model ship. Brilliant!
Thanks Doc! I needed a thin piece of metal, and I thought…why not? It actually worked well and looks realistic, especially sanded to give it that scratched worn look. I suspect the real thing is either aluminum or stainless steel, both being non corrosive. But we have to be resourceful when scratch building. I’ll use anything…lol.

It’s Christmas again…lol. I got my order finally! Supplies for rigging and making metal parts. I got rings, strips of brass plate, copper wire, brass rods and brass tubing…just to name a few items!
View attachment 241382View attachment 241381
Nice to see the postman has also rings at your door with new stuff. Now you can go on.
I am just wondering where the guns will be placed? ROTF
The masts looks great! A nice exercise for the rest.
Regards, Peter

非常高兴看到这么精良的作品,添加的一些小细节使得她看上去更加的生动丰富,期待您最后的精品完工!

English Translation
I am very pleased to see such a sophisticated work. The added small details make her look more vivid and rich. We look forward to the completion of your final boutique!

Translated:

It's a pleasure to see such sophisticated work, adding small details that make her look more vivid and rich. We are looking forward to your final boutique finish!

Thanks Rich! Yes…I’ve been studying and that foremast is even more busy! Yikes! It is different at the base ( to hold the boom), and there is no futtock shroud supports like on the main…but more stuff overall.
And of course the bowsprit has a lot going on too! But I get to use my turnbuckles. ;)
Enjoy the turnbuckles while you have them as they are only related to the bowsprit, except for an alternative one back on the main boom stabilizing it with the boom support strut. I am not using any of those as the ship will be sailing and not at a pier. Rich

Back