Bluenose by Mallacoota [COMPLETED BUILD]

LOL...haven't actually finished , need to finish the gold stripe and nameplates, the dories and the anchors...I am probably a week from finished. Dean how do you find the Model Shipways kit..?

LOL...haven't actually finished , need to finish the gold stripe and nameplates, the dories and the anchors...I am probably a week from finished. Dean how do you find the Model Shipways kit..?
I’m not sure I understand your question? How do I find the MS kit? It’s online for sale and there are many build logs of it. Does that help?

Dean..I thought you were building it that was why I asked how it was going....sorry my mistake, it is Rich who is building the MS kit....it looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Ok…lol…yes Rich is building the MS version, and also has a YQ in dry dock waiting. ;)
Yes, Rich had to back up a long way with the shrouds/ratlines, dory lifts blocks and running lights having to be cut off as I did those on a separate jig with the top bight served and closed. Problem was that I had completed the crane with soldered joints and through the mast which prevented me from placing the shrouds behind that. I have now almost completed the lower foremast shrouds/rats assemblies properly placed behind the crane. The shrouds/rats for the fore and main upper masts will be reusable but the lower Main mast shrouds/rats still have to be done which will be more complex than the fore as I have the main boom/sail/gaff fully rigged and in place so a special jig to hold that while I redo the shrouds/rats behind the crane will be more difficult.
One option for both, that I did not follow as there were the blocks above the crosstrees, and cutting off the crane would not have been the full solution.
This has cost me a couple of month delay to this point and probably another to redo the Main lowers. I did get all of the sails made including the furling lanyards and tying on the hoops, and bending them to their respective booms and gaffs, as well as the directly sail related blocks and hauling lines.
Oh well. . . . this is a hobby to fill time so have made that tack an insescapable voyage.
I am presenting it in the fishing state and not the racing one as the YQ kit is made so there are a lot of barrels, cans, buckets, and other fishing equipage made up and still more that I will complete when everything else is completed and I can see what the deck looks like in full.
Enjoy your build of the YQ. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks Rich...I am close to finished and have decided to build the BN again as I have a family home for this build. Have not decided between repeating YQ and doing MS....I would like to do YQ again to avoid the mistakes I made first time...( only half serious one was setting the deck heights too high which had ramifications for just about everything that followed...but was worked around OK) but I think I will go MS most likely as it is quite a different build. If you dont mind me saying your journey from MS to YQ will challenge you on instructions, particularly rigging. Mind you the MS instructions are probably the best I have seen ...and are on the web free for anyone to download as a PDF. I am currently reading them through.

Thanks Rich...I am close to finished and have decided to build the BN again as I have a family home for this build. Have not decided between repeating YQ and doing MS....I would like to do YQ again to avoid the mistakes I made first time...( only half serious one was setting the deck heights too high which had ramifications for just about everything that followed...but was worked around OK) but I think I will go MS most likely as it is quite a different build. If you dont mind me saying your journey from MS to YQ will challenge you on instructions, particularly rigging. Mind you the MS instructions are probably the best I have seen ...and are on the web free for anyone to download as a PDF. I am currently reading them through.
The instructions are a very short version of what is needed but they do supplement the very detailed and complete plans which are marked with the different rigging between what was present for fishing and not there but other rigging when racing. The details on the plans provide in a double scale (3/8" vrs the 3/16" typical scale of the model and most of the drawings) items that probably cannot be made in the 1:64 scale but more likely if it were in 48. Being familiar with the MS rigging options I am not worried about a YQ as I would probably trick it up in some areas where feasible as Dean has done. Each one is it's own interpretation and kit so that has to be respected to a point for the presentation. I have actually been thinking more about doing a scratch 48 scale POF BN than the smaller YQ which may sit in drydock. I do like to watch the progress of other group builders though and how they are bringing their own schooners forward. Each with it's own personality of the builder. Rich (PT-2)

The wonderfull completed Build you can find in this topic

Back