Bluenose by Mallacoota [COMPLETED BUILD]

Welcome John! It is indeed great to see our numbers growing. I wish you many very happy happy enjoyable building hours with her.

Thanks... i am looking fwd to it but would not tackle it without the build logs before me. BTW...freight is just like everything else I guess...you get what you pay for....it seemed expensive but 8 days China to regional Australia is very good... we are lucky to get stuff from inside Australia in a week. Excellent strong packaging too.

Glad to hear that she arrived safe and sound. There were many sleepless nights that went into ensuring that the buying and delivery process all added up to enjoyment of the build.

Hello John,

You are not the only one that wouldn't have tackled this project without the building logs. It was very instrumental in my giving it a go. Much more confident that I'll be able to finish and have something I'll be proud to display. Welcome aboard.

Ron

Not ACTUALLY building anything but am doing some prep work.Have pencilled numbers on all the parts and made masking tape backings for sheets likely to drop pieces in the box....Have rewound the rigging thread onto cards.It is provided in skeins so you just need another pair of hands to hold the skein while you wrap a card. We used to get wool in skeins when I was a kid and I had to hold them up to be wound into balls to knit.

Start with thisIMG_20210503_100743.jpg

Then do this

IMG_20210503_100737.jpg

And get this

IMG_20210503_104418.jpg

Thread needs waxing but otherwise just pretty typical stuff....

You can buy nice linen thread here which I sometimes use but I am making a conscious decision to build Bluenose exactly as it comes out of the box as much as possible. I also have some Gutermann upholstery thread which is very fine and super strong....I do like that for mounting deadeyes.

Last edited:
Not ACTUALLY building anything but am doing some prep work.Have pencilled numbers on all the parts and made masking tape backings for sheets likely to drop pieces in the box....Have rewound the rigging thread onto cards.It is provided in skeins so you just need another pair of hands to hold the skein while you wrap a card. We used to get wool in skeins when I was a kid and I had to hold them up to be wound into balls to knit.

Start with thisView attachment 230962

Then do this

View attachment 230963

And get this

View attachment 230964

You can buy nice linen thread here which I sometimes use but I am making a conscious decision to build Bluenose exactly as it comes out of the box as much as possible. I also have some Gutermann upholstery thread which is very fine and super strong....I do like that for mounting deadeyes.
When I tried to unwind the small thread it became a tangled up mess...lol. So I threw it away! Glad you knew how to deal with it!
Every kit I have built before, had the thread on spools, and any thread I have purchased has been on spools. So this is new to me, and creates unnecessary work in my opinion! ;)

When I tried to unwind the small thread it became a tangled up mess...lol. So I threw it away! Glad you knew how to deal with it!
Every kit I have built before, had the thread on spools, and any thread I have purchased has been on spools. So this is new to me and creates unnecessary work in my opinion! ;)
Yes the fine ones were a bit of a challenge...they have knotted the end of the thread around the body of ther skein and the small ones were the devil to undo. I ended up "undoing" them with a pair of scissors..!!....agree it would be easier if spooled or carded but a kit from PRC is new ground to be broken. .

Start with thisView attachment 230962

Then do this

View attachment 230963

And get this

View attachment 230964

Hi John,
every build starts with a good preperation and sorting out the stuff. A good start!.
Regards, Peter

Back