BLUENOSE by PIERO

The anchor topic was also discussed by Peter Voogt in his Bluenose blog, see https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/yuanqing-bluenose-peter-voogt.6566/page-111#post-252316
I read the article and seen the Chapelle sketches which refer to a general nordamerican schooner. It is not correct for the Bluenose II. Also it does not mention the weight of the anchors. I think there are too many discussion on this subject...it is very doubtful the the drawings of the old Bluenose are correct and so are the models so far made. At the Dalhousie University in Halifax in the archives there are only 4 sketches of the original Bluenose! The only recent drawings were made by L.B. Jenson (1994) and even so they do not reflect what is in the waters today in Lunemburg, Nova Scotia.

I read the article and seen the Chapelle sketches which refer to a general nordamerican schooner. It is not correct for the Bluenose II. Also it does not mention the weight of the anchors. I think there are too many discussion on this subject...it is very doubtful the the drawings of the old Bluenose are correct and so are the models so far made. At the Dalhousie University in Halifax in the archives there are only 4 sketches of the original Bluenose! The only recent drawings were made by L.B. Jenson (1994) and even so they do not reflect what is in the waters today in Lunemburg, Nova Scotia.
It's already a long discussion on authenticity and we basically seem to agree upon the fact that it's impossible to build a historically correct Bluenose I (and this possibly extends to the original BNII as well, hopefully the restored BNII has seen better archiving).
So for any decision made by any enthusiastic modeler one can invoke AL-FI.

Hi fellow BN model builders.
Although I'm not a moderator, I think we should not post this kind of discussion or information in another's build-log but in the previously created --> ‘Bluenose Main Support Page’ <--. Special when it’s not related to Pierro’s build.
It started with the YuanQing Bluenose, but information from other manufacturers is also welcome. I also refer in 'my' BN list to the other manufacturers. I am also willing to express my opinion there.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi fellow BN model builders.
Although I'm not a moderator, I think we should not post this kind of discussion or information in another's build-log but in the previously created --> ‘Bluenose Main Support Page’ <--. Special when it’s not related to Pierro’s build.
It started with the YuanQing Bluenose, but information from other manufacturers is also welcome. I also refer in 'my' BN list to the other manufacturers. I am also willing to express my opinion there.
Regards, Peter
I fully agree, Peter. @massimotocco Why don't you share your experiences on Bluenose with us on the Main Support Page or in your own build log? As far as historical accuracy goes - if anybody still believe that it is possible to build any shipmodel with 100% historical accuracy, they are mistaken. Modelers on this site are fully aware that Bluenose I was a fishing vessel, but there is no denying her racing pedigree which made her famous.

Hereby we close this discussion on Piero's build log.

I fully agree, Peter. @massimotocco Why don't you share your experiences on Bluenose with us on the Main Support Page or in your own build log? As far as historical accuracy goes - if anybody still believe that it is possible to build any shipmodel with 100% historical accuracy, they are mistaken. Modelers on this site are fully aware that Bluenose I was a fishing vessel, but there is no denying her racing pedigree which made her famous.

Hereby we close this discussion on Piero's build log.
Thank you Heinrich!! The discussion was very interesting, but ....

Last edited:
Back