BLUENOSE by PIERO

Update April 15th

Just to do something in my swiss lab, I made the two rigging frames for both mainmast and foremast. Then I'll show you how to proceed but I think it's pretty intuitive ...

View attachment 303249
Hello Piero,
I've seen similar tools and I always wondered how that worked, since apparently Pythagoras was not taken into account. So how do you compensate for the difference between the plan view and the model?
My guess is your shrouds could be 6mm short. Please don't see this as criticism to your way of working; I'm genuinely curious about your rationale.
Johan

Hello Piero,
I've seen similar tools and I always wondered how that worked, since apparently Pythagoras was not taken into account. So how do you compensate for the difference between the plan view and the model?
My guess is your shrouds could be 6mm short. Please don't see this as criticism to your way of working; I'm genuinely curious about your rationale.
Johan
That is correct, as the hypotenuse of a triangle is longer than its legs. How much longer depends on the included angle. However if the tool measures to the upper deadeye, then the tension lines between deadeyes will account for this difference. You just have to account for it. ;)

However if the tool measures to the upper deadeye, then the tension lines between deadeyes will account for this difference. You just have to account for it. ;)
I think that's the main point, accounting for it, one way or another. And also for the possible elasticity in the ropes...

Guys, I am slightly older than you and I definitely have at least 10 years of modeling on my shoulders compared to you ... I have always adopted this method to rig the mast, mizzen and foremast and I have always left the deadeyes as final tensioners. And I've never had any problems.

To bother Pythagoras seems a little excessive to me .... Just yesterday with Dean we were talking about not stressing a build project too much because we lose the taste of our hobby ...

Am I wrong?

With sympathy, your friend!
True Piero! I agree if it works for you, then use it. I have never built the standing rigging off of the ship. And I feel a jig is unnecessary work, for me. But I can’t decide for you or anyone else.
What Johan mentioned was correct, but it is usually not an issue if you don’t care to control the length of the tensioning ropes on the deadeyes very closely. So it’s really just an observation in method. No one is throwing stones. ;)

True Piero! I agree if it works for you, then use it. I have never built the standing rigging off of the ship. And I feel a jig is unnecessary work, for me. But I can’t decide for you or anyone else.
What Johan mentioned was correct, but it is usually not an issue if you don’t care to control the length of the tensioning ropes on the deadeyes very closely. So it’s really just an observation in method. No one is throwing stones. ;)
Thank you!

Guys, I am slightly older than you and I definitely have at least 10 years of modeling on my shoulders compared to you ... I have always adopted this method to rig the mast, mizzen and foremast and I have always left the deadeyes as final tensioners. And I've never had any problems.

To bother Pythagoras seems a little excessive to me .... Just yesterday with Dean we were talking about not stressing a build project too much because we lose the taste of our hobby ...

Am I wrong?

With sympathy, your friend!
Hey Piero,

I don't really care how much older or younger you are, or how many models you did or did not build.
I was merely asking you a question out of interest, because I want to understand your process, rigging the masts, possibly adapting your method. To me modeling is a learning experience and in my world that means asking questions if one wants to understand what is done by others.
Sorry I have bothered you, won't happen again.

Regards,

Johan

Johan,

mine was absolutely not a resentful thought on the words written in your comment !! Indeed, I always appreciate reading your comments, or those of Dean or Peter and I consider you all equally competent in the matter.

Only it was that I didn't want to do my math homework ....

See you next time and Happy Easter to all!

With all my heart

Piero

Update April 15th

Just to do something in my swiss lab, I made the two rigging frames for both mainmast and foremast. Then I'll show you how to proceed but I think it's pretty intuitive ...

View attachment 303249
Just back from my holiday and nice to see a different approach of the rigging. Looking forward to the ‘inbetween steps’ you make till the adjusting on the model.
I could understand Johan’s question, because math was my favorite subject in school. But unfortunately I didn't go any further.
And with Dean’s hypotenuse, I got some deja-vu’s. :)
And now I realize I use it automatically in my profession by interpretating the blood-stain patterns on the crime scenes ….. ;)
Regard, Peter

Hello Piero,
Johan

Hi Johan, just to close the matter ... today I did my homework for math, and this is my job:

20220416_170447.jpg

Waiting for any corrections ....

Hi Johan, just to close the matter ... today I did my homework for math, and this is my job:

View attachment 303540

Waiting for any corrections ....
Your math is spot on, I just think the decimaI point should be moved one digit to the right... So it's 0,7cm or 7mm. If that works for you, great, otherwise your deadeyes end up 7mm higher than you expect.
Still, your build, your call.
Happy building!

This is a really beautiful model; I am very impressed. If this is the YuanQing model I am forced to ask (because I am relatively new to the current state of the hobby): Who is YuanQing and from whence can one purchase their kit(s) in Canada???

1812er
(Chris Andersen)

This is a really beautiful model; I am very impressed. If this is the YuanQing model I am forced to ask (because I am relatively new to the current state of the hobby): Who is YuanQing and from whence can one purchase their kit(s) in Canada???

1812er
(Chris Andersen)
Yuan Qing is a Chinese kit manufacturer. If you want to purchase the kit, it is best to touch base (PM) with @Heinrich.
Kind regards, Johan

Back